• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement Bus Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncanS

The driver on my RRB last night inflicted Ed Sheerin on us, I'm thinking of launching a claim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Slightly off topic, do the permanent bus replacements in Staffordshire, in place until Norton Bridge closes in March 2019, actually link with trains/other buses? There is at least one bus each way from Hanley bus station that is all stations stoke - Stafford

No they don't! They are just local bus services, that happen to take rail tickets really. D&G currently operate them. There are two services, one does Norton Bridge-Stafford (13), the other (14) does Hanley-Stoke-Wedgwood-Barlaston-Stone. Whilst the 14 does (on certain journeys) serve Stafford, it does not go to the station. That said, the drop-off/pick-up in Stone isn't at the station either! Neither Wedgwood nor Barlaston are at the station, but are close enough to count. There are no Stoke-Wedgwood-Barlaston-Stone-Norton Bridge-Stafford services, as the road network does not lend itself to it, so Norton Bridge has always been stand alone.

The times are to suit D&G rather than rail connections. However, as the 14 does go to Hanley Bus station onward bus connections are quite good. The official rail connection is Stoke (as Stone is a fair walk from the town centre to the station) And Stafford station for the 13. What the future holds for these local bus service once rail funding is gone, is anyones guess.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
As a further aside, there is now an official "Rail Replacement Bus Stop" flag on the bus stop in Stone Town Centre!

HowardGWR

Established Member
We travelled on SWR rail replacement buses today (Yeovil to Exeter). Superbly organised, comfortable coaches, friendly SWR staff at each station, and friendly hired-bus drivers too.

A great advert for rail, as the crawl into and out of the centre of Exeter demonstrated as a timely reminder, how much more efficient the train services are for commuters, shoppers and connections at St Davids. IMO, demand is now only limited by the hourly frequency and a GRIP study must shew a need for redoubling the track and the re-opening of Chard South station.

Welshman

Established Member
Yesterday I sampled the Rail Replacement Bus service down the Conwy Valley.

I was aware this line is one of those where my concessionary Welsh Bus Pass is accepted on the train, and when I enquired at Llandudno, the helpful clerk informed me I'd need a rail ticket, which she issued marked "Llandudno to Blaenau Ffest - WAG Conces Rtn" priced "£0.10M" So I used my bus pass to obtain a 10p rail ticket, [which was actually free], in order to travel on a train, which was actually a coach! I suppose it keeps the bean-counters happy!

In the end, I needn't have bothered, as there were no ticket checks on boarding, neither outward nor return, and the drivers, very friendly and courteous, simply waved us past, showing no interest in examining tickets.

I was surprised to find two coaches on the service - one a relief to Llandudno Junction, which departed with four on board, and the other the "service" coach to Blaenau, which left at 1308 with me and two others. We were shadowed all the way by the 1310 Express Motors X1 service [which enjoyed more custom as far as Llanrwst], and both were scheduled to depart from the forecourt bus stop at the Junction at 1330, where a small group of waiting passengers was sorted into rail/bus. We gained one other person, travelling to Tal y Cafn, the remainder going on the X1. After dropping her off, we proceded non-stop to Blaenau, but not before making an interesting tour with a full-sized coach of the narrow streets of Llanrwst [showing the driver's excellent skills] in order to pass the town railway station, and a similar venture into and out of Betws y Coed, but to no avail. The return journey was equally-sparsely filled.

The journey-time was similar to that of the train, but I'm afraid to admit on a rail forum that the comfort and views of the Conwy Valley in their autumnal glory afforded by Llew Jones' tri-axle Neoplan Skyliner far-surpassed those afforded by Arriva Trains Wales' Cl.150, although the high floor would have been a problem to any people with disabilities.

I was very much impressed by the whole operation, but then I suppose it is now well-rehearsed, as the problems on the Conwy Valley line over the years have made Llew Jones almost a joint-operator with ATW.

Last edited:

Oxfordblues

I once travelled by rail replacement bus from Chester to Crewe that took over an hour due to road congestion. Arrival at Crewe was just in time to see our "connecting" train to London departing without us. Of course road-to-rail connections can't be held, but it illustrated just how much slower road transport is these days.

Andyh82

Established Member
The Preston to Blackpool North rail replacement is using brand new straight out of the factory double deckers provided by Blackpool Transport.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Preston to Blackpool North rail replacement is using brand new straight out of the factory double deckers provided by Blackpool Transport.
Yes whenever there has been a block on the Blackpool- Preston line Blackpool Transport seems to be used.
They either use Mercedes-Benz Citaro's or ADL Enviro400 City.
Sam

Dai Corner

Established Member
Is he new? I've heard of Ed Sheeran, though.

Maybe Mr Sheerin is an officious ticket collector from Blackpool North, assigned to RRB duty while his station is closed for engineering work, who has upset DuncanS? :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Talking of the Conwy Valley, the ludicrous thing about it and the X1 mentioned above is that they compete on what are low frequency services. If they were coordinated to give a two hourly service, either with most trains only going as far as Betws or them alternative over the whole line, custom on both services would grow. As it is, it's a typical British childish public transport spat that benefits nobody.

DuncanS

Maybe Mr Sheerin is an officious ticket collector from Blackpool North, assigned to RRB duty while his station is closed for engineering work, who has upset DuncanS? :D

Sheerin/Sheeran its all noise to me, now Brian Poole there was a singer.

HH

Established Member
Mr Poole was maybe the original exponent of "leaving the band to pursue a solo career". It was a career possibly a little less successful than that of Mr Sheeran.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Mr Poole was maybe the original exponent of "leaving the band to pursue a solo career". It was a career possibly a little less successful than that of Mr Sheeran.
Ben E. King left the Drifters (the American ones, not the ones that became the Shadows) a while before Brian Poole, and, if you want a British group, Heinz left the Tornados (whose Telstar was a huge hit around 1962). Mind you, he was German, and his solo career was possibly even less successful than Poole's:lol:
Actually, speaking of the Shadows, Jet Harris, the bass player, left near the height of their fame and had a reasonably successful career prior to his early death.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In connection with flooding on the Cumbrian Coast this morning and bustitution, NRE say that one of the buses operating between Workington and Carlisle will be a Workington Transport Heritage Trust Coach. That should make for an interesting trip.

Dai Corner

Established Member
In connection with flooding on the Cumbrian Coast this morning and bustitution, NRE say that one of the buses operating between Workington and Carlisle will be a Workington Transport Heritage Trust Coach. That should make for an interesting trip.

I suppose it's in keeping with the heritage trains that operate the line. It would be a very dedicated bus enthusiast who makes a special trip to ride it!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
They are hardly spoilt for choice, trying to organise any sort of emergency rail replacement services for that line is always a challenge.
Sam

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
An unusal one tonight. Last Glasgow Cen to Edinburghs and return direction via Shotts cancelled due Engineering work with replacement buses, However, buses cancelled due to weather related road conditions.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm still trying to put together what just happened. I just got an Arriva rail replacement bus from West Allerton to Lime Street. When I got there I briefly met a friend. 30 minutes later I got back on to the bus which had the same driver in order to head back to West Allerton. The Driver pulled me up and asked where I was going. I said West Allerton (I had heard him comment to his mate that I had only just got off). He told me I wasn't meant to use that bus, I told him it went to my local station at the end of my road and would have made the same trip if it had been a train. I had a valid ticket, the bus was almost empty. I am baffled how some of these people get jobs. I am considering putting a complaint in.

RJ

Established Member
I am baffled how some of these people get jobs.

Bus operators need bums on seats. In a trade where finding and retaining people who will turn up on time is pretty difficult, sometimes it seems customer service skills have to be considered nice to have rather than a necessity.

fowler9

Established Member
Bus operators need bums on seats. In a trade where finding and retaining people who will turn up on time is pretty difficult, sometimes it seems customer service skills have to be considered nice to have rather than a necessity.
Yeah I get you, I had a valid ticket though. I showed it when I got on, he already knew it because he knew I got the bus in to town and saw it then as well. Anyway. Hey ho.

Welshman

Established Member
I'm still trying to put together what just happened. I just got an Arriva rail replacement bus from West Allerton to Lime Street. When I got there I briefly met a friend. 30 minutes later I got back on to the bus which had the same driver in order to head back to West Allerton. The Driver pulled me up and asked where I was going. I said West Allerton (I had heard him comment to his mate that I had only just got off). He told me I wasn't meant to use that bus, I told him it went to my local station at the end of my road and would have made the same trip if it had been a train. I had a valid ticket, the bus was almost empty. I am baffled how some of these people get jobs. I am considering putting a complaint in.

I don't understand the driver's problem. You had a valid ticket. The bus was in service. You were in order to travel on it.

When I made my trip to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the rrb in post 185 above, I explained to the driver I was just having a ride, and asked if I could stay on the bus as it was a cold day to be waiting around outside. She might have thought me a sad old man, but she was outwardly very friendly and happy about it!

Established Member
I'm confused... why weren't you meant to be on that bus? (In his eyes)

Established Member
I don't understand the driver's problem. You had a valid ticket. The bus was in service. You were in order to travel on it.

When I made my trip to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the rrb in post 185 above, I explained to the driver I was just having a ride, and asked if I could stay on the bus as it was a cold day to be waiting around outside. She might have thought me a sad old man, but she was outwardly very friendly and happy about it!
I've had some great drivers-and some truly awful ones, on service buses, coaches and rail reps.

When First Manchester started running the Vantage Guided bus services, several drivers would be all too happy to explain to curious passengers how it worked, I know what the red and yellow stickers on the front of the buses (including some regular buses!) Are for as a result of friendly drivers. I've also had drivers recognise me and simply ask if I still have my weekly to save me showing it to them for the 10th time that week...

However I've had full on arguments with drivers in the past over ticket validity! Yes, I get that WorstBus can't be bothered to tell you what a GM Wayfarer is, that's why I come prepared with proof it's valid... just accept it! (One of the drivers that challenged my Explore Wales pass in Summer happily accepted it and asked which rail routes I'd done on it (having just read the validity of it) though it's easier when you board at the origin) I had a driver today who was blatantly rude and unhelpful to people asking if the bus went to their destination-it goes a different route on Sundays, which the driver clearly didn't know too well. Regardless, sharply telling an elderly lady to 'hurry up and decide (if she was getting on or not)-I'm late' isn't really on...

I like winding up the miserable bus drivers (I mean the type that just sit there and make no attempt to acknowledge your pass) by simply standing there until they do! Works a treat...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I was doing Exeter - Newton Abbot Rail Replacements moves a couple of weekends ago, and ticket checks were basically:

Staff "Do you have a ticket?"
Me "Yes"
Staff "Ok jump on"

They didn't want to see my Devon Day Ranger. The only ticket check I had surprisingly was at Dawlish by a Hamilton Gray driver who wanted to see tickets, probably as the staff on the pavement weren't interested in checking tickets.

Another observation was at Newton Abbot. Three coaches, one to Plymouth, and two to Exeter (one fast, one stopping) leaving at the same time. Everyone getting the Plymouth coach had a full ticket check. One tried to board without a ticket just one minute before it went. She was told to get a ticket but would have to wait an hour as they wouldnt hold the coach, no ticket no travel.
Fair enough obviously but had she decided to go to Exeter there was no ticket checks for those whatsoever!! It seemed like they weren't bothered if you went to Exeter for free, but were determined to check tickets for Plymouth. (And there wasn't a lack of staff, there was three of them gripping the Plymouth!)

Established Member
There's a thought. I had a driver on a Salford Crescent-Man Vic rail rep once ask everyone as they boarded if they had a ticket because, 'I couldn't care less really-but they're fining people at Victoria'...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There's a thought. I had a driver on a Salford Crescent-Man Vic rail rep once ask everyone as they boarded if they had a ticket because, 'I couldn't care less really-but they're fining people at Victoria'...

It's not usually the driver's responsibility to check train tickets, that should be only done by rail staff.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm confused... why weren't you meant to be on that bus? (In his eyes)
Not a clue mate. He asked me why I was using the service as he recognised I had got off it thirty minutes before. I actually found myself telling him the reason for my journey to town. I told him it was because my station was at the end of my road and I would have just done the same thing by train. Really don't know what his problem was. I had a valid ticket, the service was still quicker than going to town and back on a Sunday bus service and only slightly longer than the Sunday train service because the turn around in town was twenty mins less. I was quite taken aback.

Status
Not open for further replies.