• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
Rail Replacement busses........................dont we just love them!! :D :D :D :roll: :roll:

I need to travel on them more often! :idea:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Farnborough to London by train is 35 minutes.
Farnborough to Woking by train is 12 minutes.
Farnborough to Woking by bus is 40 minutes - more than Farnborough to London!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
One thing you've got to give rail replacments though, often the coaches are cleaner and in generally much better condition than trains, afterall, most are done by coach companies that take much more pride in their fleet than train companies (or bus companies). I know of on coach company that has a 20 year old coach that is regularly used yet is in almost as good condition as the day it was delivered. Timings are the big problem though, since over many routes coaches are much slower than trains (both on fairly services, where trains can go at up to 125mph but coaches are limited to 62mph, and on stopping services where trains go fairly straight and have quite high speeds, but coaches have to travel down windy country roads often going quite a long way around to get between stations). Coaches also need more slack since road conditions are more unpredictable than railways, although coaches are better at gaining back time, since they don't end up missing paths etc. Last time I went by coach (actually a normal service, not rail replacement) we had a slow journey, not getting over 50mph most of the way, due to fog, yet the trains were running as normal.

Simming

I used to love the buses that were doing the leeds first rail replacements, they never ever checked your tickets, free travel for all!

evil_hippo

Ah, I remember the little ****ty LDV minibus driven by Tony Carrick that during two novembers in which railtrack took posession of the s&c was the commuter train from Appleby to Carlisle (all stops, whick means lots of lovely country lanes!), departing Appleby I think before seven (instead of 0740) as it took so long.

Jim

Established Member
I remember when WSB - BRI was up, I done lots of stuff on them, never got checked once. I did geta bit of trouble with a plain cloaths womon from Revenue Protection who wouldn't go with the idea that I was 'working' on them. It took a call to Max (1 of the controlers) to belive me.

On that contract we had everything, from Spectras to Volvo's & DAF plaxtons. It was great Fun

Ben

WCML RR's - Normal Buses - Hardly any Luggage Space - Tight Connection Times - RPI's checking at each End

So no i dont Love them

Rant Over

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When GNER/WAGN did rail replacements to Stevenage, WAGN told passengers to change at Welwyn Garden City, while GNER said Hatfield.

There was confusion though as those with "Any Permitted" tickets were not told which was faster, I asked several people and got different answers.

Anyway when we got to Hatfield, and I was at the front of a 12 car train, I realised that the huge crowds heading toward the exit at the rear of the station meant I'd possibly have a long wait, so I got off at Welwyn, where I was one of the first to board. Some were not so lucky as there appeared to be a severe shortage of buses for the crowds!

It was great for the people of Potters Bar, Hatfield and Welwyn - they had a 12-car train every 20 minutes, fast line 100mph all the way! They must have never had it so good :lol:

The Welwyn buses were quicker (as I'd expected, a few miles less distance to go) but I found out the difference. GNER had hired in posh new coaches, WAGN had former London bus double deckers that were very tatty and struggled up hills :lol: But still, I had a front seat so wasn't complaining ;)

Only once had a ticket check, at Brighton but the driver didn't have a clue what the tickets were anyway, he was probably just instructed to check the date, and would probably have accepted a Wick to Thurso ;)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ive only been on a rail replacement bus once from Birmingham Snow Hill to Tyseley (this was when the line was closed due to signalling vandalism at Small Heath). The driver didnt seem to know the route although we did make it to the station a bit longer than it should have taken

Jim

Established Member
Only just seen your post Yorkie :oops: The drivers are NOT (well on ours they weren't) allowed tochack tickets or take any money. That is why SO many peoole had free travel on our contract. There was a duty, in which I would ask for tickets, as we ALWAYS had a 10 min wait at Bath. I ask them (not in an offical manor) "Have you got a Ticket" They say no, get on & Max has them at Westbury :lol:

Galvanize

On LUL Rail reps, Routemasters were sometimes used and the conductor checked passenger's tickets/passes even though it wasn't his job to do that.

Some passengers hate being penalised to travel on an old-banger (yes, very often :?) or equally any rail rep bus and try to get on it for free.

A Bus journey in November 2004 from Richmond to Clapham Junction took 1 hour and 20 minutes and it was the "fast" service calling only at putney, it got stuck in a very long traffic queue :x <(

I was extemely relieved to get off at Clapham Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.