• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail & Sail Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavioliuk

On a recent visit to Holland I found that you are given NS Day Tickets which give 24 hours unlimited travel in Holland on the day you check in at the station.

This means you don't have to use them solely for travelling to or from Hoek van Holland, but can be used for longer journeys during your stay in the Netherlands.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
On a recent visit to Holland I found that you are given NS Day Tickets which give 24 hours unlimited travel in Holland on the day you check in at the station.

This means you don't have to use them solely for travelling to or from Hoek van Holland, but can be used for longer journeys during your stay in the Netherlands.

They also sell them on the boat. They were 17 euros last time I used it. You could buy one or more on the boat for a multiple day stay or for future visits, say by plane.

radamfi

Established Member
These tickets can also be bought at Eindhoven airport, for something like 22 euros. You get a flyer saying that it is also valid on the buses between the airport and Eindhoven railway station. Given that it is the same ticket as you get on the boat, presumably the ticket sold on the boat and given free at Harwich is also valid on the bus to Eindhoven airport.

As far as I can tell, although I've seen no confirmation one way or the other, it is also valid on non-NS trains in the Netherlands like Arriva and Veolia. I've tested it on the card readers and was able to check in and out for non-NS trains. Day tickets bought from the machine are a lot more expensive and are only valid on NS.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've always thought that these tickets are valid to any station, therefore, logically, must be valid on all services, too. I haven't tried it out, though!

MisterT

They are indeed valid on all services by all operators except Thalys.
The tickets are also valid on ICE and Intercity Direct trains, but only inside the Netherlands and with the so called ICE/ICd "supplement" ticket.

Groningen

Established Member
Intercity Direct trains

Supplement is only between Schiphol and Rotterdam Centraal; not Amsterdam Centraal - Schiphol and Rotterdam Centraal - Breda. But be advised these trains break down almost every day. From 19.08 (so 50 minutes ago): HSL Amsterdam-Breda: less Intercity Direct due to defect train. #HSL And they know that it is fixed at 20.30. No supplement on the train means you have to pay 10 euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.