• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail services to be increased on May 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see.

I personally think that people will be more willing to accept the lower risk associated with vaccination, but I guess only time will tell !

I would agree. I don't know anybody who goes out of their way to avoid the flu. The vaccine exists but most people don't bother with it.

I think those who fear the flu are either elderly, with serious underlying conditions or germophobes, probably tending towards the latter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is that true, among those who are recommended to have it?

There's generally an annual campaign to promote it to at risk groups and those who work with them, via public health services and the NHS. As it's not compulsory there will always be some who are eligible who won't take it up.

Given the heightened awareness of COVID, I would have expected take up of a vaccine to be a lot greater.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So far the government say we need R<1 when challenged as to what the actual level is they then say 0.7 to 0.9 but aren't really sure and can't give a figure geographically. Furthermore, they've said maybe things will change on 1st June if certain conditions are met the definition of those conditions being conspicuously absent currently. The fact they've extended furlough so long indicates there level of confidence is low that there is going to be any quick relaxation i would suggest. Also hospitality is currently being told to plan on 2m so if any of it opens in July its going to be under those rules so things aren't going to change on public transport distancing anytime soon I would suggest.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So far the government say we need R<1 when challenged as to what the actual level is they then say 0.7 to 0.9 but aren't really sure and can't give a figure geographically. Furthermore, they've said maybe things will change on 1st June if certain conditions are met the definition of those conditions being conspicuously absent currently. The fact they've extended furlough so long indicates there level of confidence is low that there is going to be any quick relaxation i would suggest. Also hospitality is currently being told to plan on 2m so if any of it opens in July its going to be under those rules so things aren't going to change on public transport distancing anytime soon I would suggest.

Don't kid yourself about the extension of the furlough, that's purely to give the impression of doing something. There is no way on this Earth that the government would, or even could keep 7.55 million paid at the current levels. You've got to read between the lines in politics, there is never an absolute. In this the case the inference that the government expects companies to pay into it along with them actually means that the government expect companies to come back online during June & into July. Because if your company has been shut for 3 months without any revenue flow, how would they pay their share? The government want to shut it down in June, but want companies to take the blame.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK folks we are straying way off topic here. This thread is for the discussion of the increase in rail services on Monday 18th May. There are plenty of other COVID threads to discuss other COVID related issues.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looking at Stockport for Monday I can see the :24 to Euston via Macclesfield, Stoke-on-Trent, Milton Keynes as well as the :04 via Wilmslow and Crewe. Are Avanti ramping up to 2tph Manchester to London then? That'll put a lot of drivers back in work.

josla1

Northern have reinstated the ex xx:16 Liverpool - Man airport via Warrington central but now departing xx:20 amongst stand outs

111-111-1

I'm putting money on the fact that about 180 of those 190 were crammed into the front 4.

That's one reason for me favouring compulsory reservations - not only does it control numbers but also spread people out properly.

If the majority did pack themselves into the front 4 they only have themselves to blame if they pick up the virus.

Even if your obsession of compulsory reservations were to come in it would not stop the passengers choosing to sit wherever they want to so would achieve very little. No guard in their right mind is going to make any effort other than an anouncement to move people.

Aictos

Established Member
"Proud, real, open, simple"?

Was someone actually paid money to come up with that? :D

Maybe or a internal staff competition, IIRC the 4 points that First Capital Connect used was also reused by East Coast not surprising because the MD of East Coast was the ex Customer Service Director at First Capital Connect.

In any case, it doesn't really matter.

Thameslink are running a Saturday service next week however I like to know if it's the Saturday service from the Dec TT or the May TT?

Staffordian

Northern have reinstated the ex xx:16 Liverpool - Man airport via Warrington central but now departing xx:20 amongst stand outs
Are you sure ?
Looking at RTT for 18/05/2020, they appear to have shifted the existing xx17 Oxford Road stopper to xx20 but with four fewer stops and re-instated(?) the xx54/xx55 Oxford Road stopper serving the same number of (but different) stops. The only through Airport service remains the xx27 via Chat Moss.
They’ve also re-instated 2 out of the 3 workings on xx36 Lime Street - Blackpool North (0936, 1236, 1536, 1836 missing).
However all the above is based on RTT, so possibly still subject to change.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone else, as an aside, find it interesting how emergency timetables are being churned out at a rate here, yet we were told it'd take a year to fix WMT's problems? Priorities?

jfollows

Established Member
Looking at Stockport for Monday I can see the :24 to Euston via Macclesfield, Stoke-on-Trent, Milton Keynes as well as the :04 via Wilmslow and Crewe. Are Avanti ramping up to 2tph Manchester to London then? That'll put a lot of drivers back in work.
Updated timetable 18 May 2020 https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/~/media/avanti-timetables/covid-timetable-from-18-may.pdf?la=en shows xx.20 and xx.40 departures from London, the former via Stoke and the latter via Wilmslow. So, yes, 2 per hour London-Manchester from next week.

The London-Manchester timetable looks like the regular timetable with the omission of one hourly train, the xx.00 from London and the xx.35 from Manchester. Extra stops such as in the Trent Valley on the 18:40 and 19:40 down services are as "normal" and the 19:40 down uses the Styal line.

Even the early morning 06:11 and 07:10 Crewe-Manchester services appear to be reinstated. However my dentist (in Manchester) is still closed and I'll probably go by car when it opens anyway. I don't plan on catching a train for a little while yet.

jfollows

Established Member
I also received an email from Avanti which included the statement:

To help keep you and our colleagues safe, we have reduced the seating capacity onboard our trains. As a result, for journeys 18 May 2020 onwards we strongly recommend you book a place on the train to travel on our services. If you don’t have a booking for your preferred train, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to board.

However, I don't know what "we have reduced the seating capacity onboard our trains" actually translates to mean. Anyone else know? Does it perhaps mean that adjacent seats won't be used by two strangers?

High Dyke

Established Member
Across Lincolnshire, EMR are looking at re-instating their near normal service, with a few off-peak services missing/not allocated to operate. Prior to that it looks like the Summer Sunday service will be half to the normal amount (commencing 17th). Probably a move to deter people from visiting the seaside.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
However, I don't know what "we have reduced the seating capacity onboard our trains" actually translates to mean. Anyone else know? Does it perhaps mean that adjacent seats won't be used by two strangers?

I suspect so. That's not quite "reservations compulsory", though perhaps they want the system to refuse to sell a ticket against a specific train if there aren't any reservations so they can't be found in breach of contract if someone can't board?

I13

An on board announcement on Avanti yesterday requested that we only use window seats, so that could be a part of it.

jfollows

Established Member
An on board announcement on Avanti yesterday requested that we only use window seats, so that could be a part of it.
Thank you, that seems sensible under the circumstances.
But, if, so, why don't Avanti say so explicitly? If they said that, by booking a seat, I'd get a window seat with nobody sitting next to me, I'd be much more likely to use the service than otherwise. Or do they want to put people off from using their services?

Qwerty133

Established Member
Thank you, that seems sensible under the circumstances.
But, if, so, why don't Avanti say so explicitly? If they said that, by booking a seat, I'd get a window seat with nobody sitting next to me, I'd be much more likely to use the service than otherwise. Or do they want to put people off from using their services?
Public transport is currently only meant to be used for essential journeys that cannot be completed by other means, so I'd presume they would want to put you off from making what I could only assume to be an unnecessary journey (which any journey which would only be made if certain measures are in place clearly is).

Aictos

Established Member
Thameslink will be running a Saturday service based on the May 2020 timetable as Luton for example sees direct Rainham services Monday to Saturday as of next week.

jfollows

Established Member
The BBC now has a news article which has more information on Avanti's planned operation from next Monday (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52670790)

"The measures take effect on Monday and Avanti says it may not allow carriages to be more than a quarter full." (why "may" instead of "will" ?)

Coronavirus: Avanti introduces social distancing measures on its trains
Rail passengers have been urged not to turn up at stations without an advance ticket and to wear face coverings when they travel on the West Coast Mainline.
Avanti West Coast made the announcement as part of new social distancing on its services between Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds.
Passengers might be refused travel if the guidelines are not followed.
The measures take effect on Monday and Avanti says it may not allow carriages to be more than a quarter full.
"We're appealing to our valued customers to help us and other passengers by only travelling with a reservation," said Avanti West Coast's managing director Phil Whittingham.
"If everyone does this, we'll be able to keep social distancing in place on board, both for our customers and our people.
"If customers do turn up without a reservation, we'll do our best to help but we can't guarantee they'll be able to take the train they want."
Because of this, the train operator is asking passengers to book in advance on the Avanti mobile app where possible, to avoid using facilities at the station or handling cash.
People should also check before they travel, in case the time of their train has changed.
Other measures being introduced by Avanti include face masks for staff and waiting rooms and lounges will be shut.
There will also be enhanced cleaning procedures onboard trains and at stations, especially focused on cleaning door buttons, grab handles, tables and all touch points, as well as equipment like phones, chip and pin machines, self-service ticket machines and point of sale systems.
Shops onboard Voyager services, which travel between London and destinations like Blackpool, Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Edinburgh and North Wales, will be closed and no food and drink will be available.
The shops on Pendolino services will still be open, but re-usable coffee cups will not be accepted.
Increased train services
A new timetable is being brought in from Monday, in line with updated travel advice from the government that will see train services increase to about 70% of the normal timetable.
During the coronavirus pandemic only half of normal rail services have been running.
The easing of travel restrictions is likely to be done gradually - the government has suggested that working hours might be staggered to limit passenger numbers.
People in England who are allowed to return to work have been asked not to use public transport if possible.
If maintained, the two-metre social distancing measure would cut capacity on trains by up to 90%.
A recent Transport Focus survey suggested more than 60% of UK passengers would not feel comfortable using public transport unless social distancing was in place.
It found 51% would not be happy unless passengers were required to wear masks.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The BBC now has a news article which has more information on Avanti's planned operation from next Monday (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52670790)

Of course, Virgin of yore reputedly wanted to introduce compulsory reservations !

How this will play out for someone travelling from Blackburn to Lancaster, for example, who is intending to change onto VT at Preston, I don't know.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course, Virgin of yore reputedly wanted to introduce compulsory reservations !

How this will play out for someone travelling from Blackburn to Lancaster, for example, who is intending to change onto VT at Preston, I don't know.

They go to a booking office and ask for a reservation, or get one when buying their ticket online or wherever they're buying it.

Typical misreporting from the Beeb, though, it's not "advance tickets", it's reservations which can be issued against any ticket. Avanti have also said that it's not absolute, it's just that you may be refused, unlike LNER. Basically the same situation as from Euston on Christmas Eve.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They go to a booking office and ask for a reservation, or get one when buying their ticket online or wherever they're buying it.

Typical misreporting from the Beeb, though, it's not "advance tickets", it's reservations which can be issued against any ticket. Avanti have also said that it's not absolute, it's just that you may be refused, unlike LNER. Basically the same situation as from Euston on Christmas Eve.

I wonder why LNER didn't prompt a similar article.

It's all academic anyway if we're not going to be allowed to go anywhere.

Aictos

Established Member

Exactly, when I've travelled in the past I've always had a seat reservation automatically booked for the IC part of my journey eg City Thameslink to Stevenage (no seat reservation possible) then Stevenage to York (seat reservation automatically given) so I can't see how the Avanti proposals can be confusing as I find them simple to understand.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
the issue is going to be, say, the nurse who has traveled from Wigan to Preston for the last 5 years, with an annual season ticket, and had a train to herself for the last 6 weeks... hasn’t seen this news, turns up on Monday and is told she’s not allowed on the train. Enter Daily Mail stage left.

Status
Not open for further replies.