• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail staff facilities: Some TOCs say to be used in an "emergency" only

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
I think it's quite reasonable to say "we are suspending Priv fares for leisure use under current circumstances". Given the announcement that The Jacobite is to restart in mid-July it seems unreasonable to extend any such measure into August.
Too right. Whilst we all encouraged to mainly avoid leisure travel. It could be suggested that staff are being discriminated against merely because they hold a concessionary travel facility. So it's alright for Mrs Miggins to buy as ticket from her local station to visit the nearest town/city to go shopping, but I risk being penalised if I try to use my Staff Travel to do the same thing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nige47506

Just wait until 4 july when the pubs open on sat
THEY WONT BE ANY DISTANCE THEN ON THE TRAINS
they will be jam packed as we all know and they wont
Be a meter apart
I live on the huddesfield to leeds line and I've seen passengers going to leeds and trains are full !
So I cant see it been a problem for us using our staff travel

greyman42

Established Member
Whilst that is indeed true this isn’t about what it costs passenger TOCs to provide facilities to staff (whether safeguarded or not) its about making the limited passenger accommodation (with social distancing) available to paying passengers in line with usual RSTL restrictions about the travelling public getting priority.
The trains have been empty for months.

ge-gn

RSTL have issued further guidelines today.

While the restrictions on specific TOCs is crystal clear, the general guidance for using leisure facilities seems less so now.

I’ve had berths booked in August with my discount on CS since last year. I’d love to use them, but I don’t want to be turned away with a young family late at night at Euston.

How does guidance read to others?

Alfie1014

My interpretation like yours was a loosening of the do not travel message; the guidance now saying if you want to travel use off peak (less crowded) services and a requirement to book reservations on long distance services.

Regarding Caley sleeper I’d ring them a bit nearer the time to get some clarification on whether previous reservations will be honoured.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes, the restrictions for the previously restricted TOCs (GWR, LNER, XC & Avanti) clearly now state that leisure travel is deemed acceptable again, provided it is being undertaken in accordance with the government guidance.

The government guidance is to consider other forms of transport before going by train, so for those Safeguarded Priv holders who are making a longer journey, who don't have access to a car, the train is the only sensible option.

As with all other passengers, such Priv holders are asked to make a reservation on their intended train (and in the case of LNER it's still mandatory). However there is a request only to get reservations an hour before travel, to ensure that "ordinary" passengers aren't prevented from boarding.

A bit of an unreasonable request IMO but heyho... At least it's not an instruction!

greyman42

Established Member
RSTL sent me an e-mail today saying that the Covid restrictions were now lifted but to travel at quieter times if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.