• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rail staff in pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

dk1:1013332 said:
Staff & managers use our local Wetherspoon's for breakfast. No problem with that.

But then I don't think 'spoons sell alcohol before 10 or something like that

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
But then I don't think 'spoons sell alcohol before 10 or something like that

Really? I've never heard of that; but I don't think I've ever been in there that early.

I like Whetherspoons. Obviously they're usually not the place to go if you're looking for a proper old pub, but if all you want is a meal and a pint they're fine. The quality of the beer seems fine to me, and they have wide selection, which entices me; also lot of their pubs are Casque Marque accredited.

I'm a fan of their Large Breakfast, which was formally called a "Farmhouse Breakfast" - a name which I prefer. Yum!

Bellwater

Some of my favourite pubs are Spoons, if you're in a strange town and don't know what to expect(or if you go to East Anglia and boycott Greene King).

As per the thread depends on the company.if you work for a company with Desperate Management(hello First)its a definite no-no

Stewart

Really? I've never heard of that; but I don't think I've ever been in there that early.

I like Whetherspoons. Obviously they're usually not the place to go if you're looking for a proper old pub, but if all you want is a meal and a pint they're fine. The quality of the beer seems fine to me, and they have wide selection, which entices me; also lot of their pubs are Casque Marque accredited.

I'm a fan of their Large Breakfast, which was formally called a "Farmhouse Breakfast" - a name which I prefer. Yum!

One of the few places you can get the traditional breakfast with a pint. :D A great combination. When visiting a new town, one of the first things I look for is the local Wethers. At least you know there are few snobs in there - they usually congregate in some soulless coffee shop where they can pay £3 for the privilege of something that cost about 20p to make.

Sorry, this is off topic.

Does anyone know if the Weatherspoons coffee nice, (Comparable to Starbucks e.t.c) and do they do take-away ones?

D1009

Established Member

Does anyone know if the Weatherspoons coffee nice, (Comparable to Starbucks e.t.c)

That is for you to judge, they ran an advertising campaign a while back quoting the reults of a survey suggesting it was better than that competition, but then it was an advertising campaign.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

and do they do take-away ones?

Yes..

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Call me a snob, but I'ld rather go to Starbucks, Costa or Nero for a coffee and a cake.

Wetherspoons tea is not too bad mind, but if I was in a Wetherspoons I would much rather a pint!

scotsman

Established Member
I'm sure most of SRPS Railtours has gone to the pub in full uniform...not quite the same though!

I don't see the problem, it makes sense to remove any branded items (name tag, tie etc.) but plenty of these places do coffees, breakfasts, cheesecakes and the like - if I wanted to drink on duty, I'd be going somewhere no-one would catch me or expect me to be drinking alcohol (like, as someone suggested, Pizza Hut)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Every TOC is different but the general rule is to not be in an establishment with uniform on where alcohol is served.

The TOC I work for has a policy of not being in any establishment that serves/sells alcohol while at work. This also extends to not having it on your person/in your bags while at work (being sealed doesn't matter).

Does that include Tesco and such then, since they sell alcohol.
Or what about the small shops they have at train stations, since again quite a lot of these sells alcohol.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Lavazza served in Spoons (& mugs ;)) usually around £1.59 for a large with every 6th free!!

They did recently claim to be the 3rd biggest coffee seller in the UK.

That is for you to judge, they ran an advertising campaign a while back quoting the reults of a survey suggesting it was better than that competition, but then it was an advertising campaign.

Yes..

Alright cheers, I'll have to go and try one. :)

Established Member
Wouldn't bother me. I've even been in a pub in a hivi before now. Shock horror

Would only take one person to complain to the TOC - and I'm sure everyone knows that there are a lot of people out there that like to complain about very small things (which can result in a bad situation for staff in the end). It really isn't that hard to either take the uniform off or cover it up before going into a pub. I know a lot of staff who take off their hi-viz and other branded gear when going for a cig as either someone has complained or they get abuse from the idiots that hang round stations.

Going back to Spoons, coffee is decent for the price (plus you can normally get a seat and have free Wifi), and I've seen people drinking alcohol in them at 7 in the morning.

Dave A

At the stations I've worked at, some pubs have provided a staff discount on food (and a drink if you order at the same time ;) ), so I used to go in them on my break for a decent priced meal, albeit with something covering the uniform & (obviously) not drinking alcohol.

However, a senior manager noticed me once & came over to say something. Although there was nothing in the company's policy stating I couldn't (as I had covered up the uniform), he said it's better to be safe than sorry as all it takes is a regualr passenger to notice & say something, and it could cause more trouble than it's worth!

So although it's not in the company's policy, I stay clear of them just to be safe. It's such as shame though, as I love the Wetherspoon's breakfasts too and can't go to the one in VIC... :|

D1009

Established Member
However, a senior manager noticed me once & came over to say something. Although there was nothing in the company's policy stating I couldn't (as I had covered up the uniform), he said it's better to be safe than sorry as all it takes is a regualr passenger to notice & say something, and it could cause more trouble than it's worth!

That was probably because he didn't want you seeing him in there.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
That was probably because he didn't want you seeing him in there.

haha that was my first thought too.

But yeah, its better to be safe than sorry as it does just take one person to complain

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The two railway companies I have been employed by have both held a no uniform/namebadges policies in licensed premises; although I have seen employees of both companies in uniforms in pubs within the past few years.

Asian Demon

Does that include Tesco and such then, since they sell alcohol.
Or what about the small shops they have at train stations, since again quite a lot of these sells alcohol.

Arguably it should however enforcement would be kinda harsh. I think it's more to do with us not being in shops like threshers or the pub while on duty or before work and in work clothes before work/after work.

Established Member
Tesco sell alcohol 'off licence', so you drink it at home. Pubs are on licence, so you drink it there and then. However the idea of going to a pub to eat is a lot more common these days than it used to. I'm sure some will remember the time when the only pub grub you could get was crisps and nuts, and if lucky, cheese, mini cheddars and cocktail sausages on Sundays.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Tesco sell alcohol 'off licence', so you drink it at home. Pubs are on licence, so you drink it there and then. However the idea of going to a pub to eat is a lot more common these days than it used to. I'm sure some will remember the time when the only pub grub you could get was crisps and nuts, and if lucky, cheese, mini cheddars and cocktail sausages on Sundays.

What about Scampy Fries and Cheese Moments?

Yeah, I agree it has became more acceptable to go to a pub for scran, but my Employers would still frown upon me entering Wetherspoons as a reasonable person would think I may buy beer. However if I entered Sainsburys a reasonable person's first thought would be I'm buying some scran.

D1009

Established Member
a reasonable person would think I may buy beer.

Not sure that is still the case, I've wasted a lot of time in Wetherspoons waiting to be served because there's a huge order of capuccino in front of me which takes ages to prepare.

I agree that it's easier for railway managers to say it's a no-no in case someone does step out of line.

Established Member
This arose the other day. Was sent on a very unusual duty in uniform to a station miles from the depot. Company said they would pay £3 towards our food as we were eating out. As it was an early Sunday shift, with a PNB / break at around 9am ish, there arent all that many options open at that time of day. Except Wetherspoons - 100yds from the station. It's normally a sackable offence to go into there in uniform.... however, as a one off, we were told it was okay, as long as we stuck to just coffee with our brekky and not 11 sambukas and a gallon of cider.

One winner at First Transpennine Express was a horrid manager who is a well known bully. He went into Leeds Wetherspoons some years ago, seen one of the trolley staff having a pint after work in (some) uniform, partially covered up, and ordered him out. He then wandered to the back of the bar to another tall chap in full FirstGroup uniform and also asked him to leave. This chap turned around and replied "Ive been driving your companies ****** buses around this ******* city all ******* day and no ******** **** is going to ******* tell me put my pint down when I'm in my own ******* time. Now come ere you baldy speccy ******* ****!!!!". This point said manager was being picked up by the scruff of his neck, when I decided to make a sharp exit.

Last I seen was a body being rolled out the door near the taxi rank :)

Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There is a pub in Restalrig, Edinburgh near the former St. Margaret's Loco works. Its name is "The Bunch of Roses". Seemingly it gets its name from when the landlord used to place a bunch of roses outside the pub to warn the rail staff to about turn as the bosses were already there!

Possibly anecdotal but a good tale nonetheless.

Cheers

34D

Established Member
One winner at First Transpennine Express was a horrid manager who is a well known bully. He went into Leeds Wetherspoons some years ago, seen one of the trolley staff having a pint after work in (some) uniform, partially covered up, and ordered him out. He then wandered to the back of the bar to another tall chap in full FirstGroup uniform and also asked him to leave. This chap turned around and replied "Ive been driving your companies ****** buses around this ******* city all ******* day and no ******** **** is going to ******* tell me put my pint down when I'm in my own ******* time. Now come ere you baldy speccy ******* ****!!!!". This point said manager was being picked up by the scruff of his neck, when I decided to make a sharp exit.

Last I seen was a body being rolled out the door near the taxi rank :)

Love it

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah, they open at 7am to serve breakfasts, teas and coffees, but no alcohol until 9am. It used to be no alcoholic drinks until 11am, but this rule was relaxed about two years ago.

Established Member
Yeah, they open at 7am to serve breakfasts, teas and coffees, but no alcohol until 9am. It used to be no alcoholic drinks until 11am, but this rule was relaxed about two years ago.

How rigourously enforced the rule is anyone's guess. Certainly I have been in a Spoons before 9 and seen people drinking.

Bungle73

On Moderation

I've never seen this mentioned anywhere.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
How rigourously enforced the rule is anyone's guess. Certainly I have been in a Spoons before 9 and seen people drinking.

I went into The Mile House in Newcastle at 08.00 before heading off to the Sunderland vs Newcastle game at the start of the season for a few sherberts and everyone had a beer in their hands. Thankfully none of them realised I'm a Sunderland fan!

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Wetherspoons' in Birmingham city centre (principally the Square Peg) strongly enforce the 9am rule: When the stereotypical "down and out" types that Mutant Lemming refers to come staggering blearily towards the bar demanding drinks in the morning the bar staff won't serve them until the very dot of 9.
I've never seen this mentioned anywhere.
Wait a minute, I might have gotten myself (only slightly) confused: I think they might have served alcohol from 9am for a good few years, when the pubs opened at 9am: The opening time has obviously gotten earlier, rolling back to 7am, but the 9am start for selling alcohol may have been in place for longer. I honestly can't remember, I've had a lot of Wetherspoons breakfasts in the last four years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.