• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rail staff in pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

metromuppet

Hi
What are different tocs rules on staff going in a pub on their break for food only, staying clear of the booze?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I believe (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that staff are not allowed in a pub in uniform under any circumstances

dk1

Veteran Member
Staff & managers use our local Wetherspoon's for breakfast. No problem with that.

Established Member
Different TOCs will have different internal policies - I've seen Northern staff in a Spoons before playing on the bandits. Generally the rule I've heard is pubs are a no-go area with uniform on.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I have always been told its a no-no to enter any licensed establishment wearing any uniform. However, how do you define licensed premisies? I can't see anyone getting discliplined for entering Tesco or having bait in Pizza Hut, both of which serve alcohol.

Established Member
I have always been told its a no-no to enter any licensed establishment wearing any uniform. However, how do you define licensed premisies? I can't see anyone getting discliplined for entering Tesco or having bait in Pizza Hut, both of which serve alcohol.

Safest thing to do is to either take off the uniform (or at least items that have logos on), or put on an overcoat.

tsr

Established Member

Surely it is much more about common sense, then? I imagine mingling with - or generally being around - other people who are drinking a moderate or large amount of alcohol in any venue is more likely to be discouraged than going to a shop or restaurant where alcohol may be served to some customers, but by no means all. That said, when considering the use of licensed premises, shall we say that common sense may not be the most sensible method by which to establish rules...

Established Member
Surely it is much more about common sense, then? I imagine mingling with - or generally being around - other people who are drinking a moderate or large amount of alcohol in any venue is more likely to be discouraged than going to a shop or restaurant where alcohol may be served to some customers, but by no means all. That said, when considering the use of licensed premises, shall we say that common sense may not be the most sensible method by which to establish rules...

Only takes one person to make a complaint then the proverbial will hit the fan. Image of a company is very important and I bet a good few people would be unnerved by seeing a staff member in a pub during the day.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Only takes one person to make a complaint then the proverbial will hit the fan. Image of a company is very important and I bet a good few people would be unnerved by seeing a staff member in a pub during the day.

even more so if they heard the tales from the old hands from the day (not as long ago as you may think) when it was normal for staff to be drinking while on duty!

Yes, of course there should be a common sense approach. I am sure if my employers recived a complaint about a member in staff in full uniform walking past the beer shelves at Sainsburys or a staff member munching on a Pizza in a restaurant they would reply saying there is nothing to answer too. A staff member in full uniform on the doubles and chasers in Wetherspoons then the brown stuff would certainly hit the fan.

34D

Established Member

Wouldn't bother me. I've even been in a pub in a hivi before now. Shock horror

route:oxford

Established Member
Define a "pub" these days though...

The vast majority now make the most money through food sales.

One of the cheapest places to get a cup of tea or coffee on the high street is a Weatherspoons.

Poss Planner

When the Drugs & Alcohol policy first came out (1991?) - we were told to avoid pubs when in uniform. Given the suspicious minds of many railway managers pubs are best avoided even during un-paid meal breaks. They also dont want you bringing alcohol into the office during lunch-time shopping trips....

Clip

Established Member
We have a policy of no logo showing if they go to a pub.

ex-railwayman

When the Drugs & Alcohol policy first came out (1991?) - we were told to avoid pubs when in uniform. Given the suspicious minds of many railway managers pubs are best avoided even during un-paid meal breaks. They also dont want you bringing alcohol into the office during lunch-time shopping trips....

I don't have an actual copy, but, I daresay that the first BR Rulebook that came out in 1950 had wording to the effect that nobody turned up for turn of duty under the influence of alcohol, or, drugs, it was Rule No. 2 in the Rulebook I personally had in the 70's, and I'm amazed if that rule has ever been relaxed. Anyone found in public licenced premises in uniform was severely punished, even if they weren't drinking. We used to go to the Railway Club in Netherfield sometimes after shift, which was accepted in those days as it wasn't open to the general public, but, I often saw staff actually still on duty standing inside the Bentinck Hotel (opp.Nottingham Midland station) chatting with the Post Office guys in the 70's, 80's & 90's, the rules and punishments were never observed.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
When I started with Glasgow Corporation Transport in the 1970s there was a rule that staff were not allowed to enter licensed premises in uniform. I saw a few breaches of this rule though, so it was maybe not strictly enforced by then.

bnm

Established Member
I was fired from a job for being in licensed premises in uniform. Off duty, after my shift, sipping Butlins own brand p!55 and watching England lose to Argentina World Cup June '98.

One small Butlins logo on my shirt still on show was enough to see me given my cards. Should've gone back to my staff chalet and changed, but didn't want to miss kick-off.

Still, hated the job, hated Minehead, hated the Redcoats, hated working for Butlins.

dk1

Veteran Member
Times have changed so much in the last few years. Even up until 10 years ago i thought somebody who wanted a cup of tea in a public house was a right weirdo. Tim Martin & the JDW concept has changed all that. They are cheap, cheerful, free wifi & on the whole very civilised places to pop in for breakfast or lunch. I would never drink alcohol in public in full uniform. If i was having a quickie on the way home i remove tie & where a my own jacket.

Smudger105e

When the D&A Policy was introduced in its current form, I was told that you can bring alcohol onto the premises, but cannot drink it, and you are not allowed recreational drugs on the premises, and you are also not allowed to consume them at any time (even when off duty, obviously).

Asian Demon

Every TOC is different but the general rule is to not be in an establishment with uniform on where alcohol is served.

The TOC I work for has a policy of not being in any establishment that serves/sells alcohol while at work. This also extends to not having it on your person/in your bags while at work (being sealed doesn't matter).

dk1

Veteran Member
Every TOC is different but the general rule is to not be in an establishment with uniform on where alcohol is served.

The TOC I work for has a policy of not being in any establishment that serves/sells alcohol while at work. This also extends to not having it on your person/in your bags while at work (being sealed doesn't matter).

Hope they dont search my bag then after a quick pop into M&S for a bottle of vino after lates :p

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Why the hell would anyone want to spend time in a soulless shop conversion populated with down and outs ?

Anyhow, I'd say the drinking culture kind of disappeared on the railways once more responsibility was given to staff - as in Driver Only Operation or guards checking tickets. The chances of making a mistake and that mistake being serious were kind of increased and being face to face with the public more increased the risk of being reported. Of course, a stricter D & A policy and 'Random' or 'Unannounced' testing also played their part.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I remember in the 1960s and 1970s, it was quite normal to see most of the BR staff from Waterloo Station who were having a break, in the Wellington pub across the road.

dk1

Veteran Member
Why the hell would anyone want to spend time in a soulless shop conversion populated with down and outs ?

Not sure if you're refering to Wetherspoon's. If yes then i agree some & only some are like that. There are also very well run establishments for the better members of society. Our local is one of these & very clean with very reasonable priced fare in warm comfortable surroundings with BBC News rolling a even newspapers to read. Lovely!!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Not sure if you're refering to Wetherspoon's. If yes then i agree some & only some are like that. There are also very well run establishments for the better members of society. Our local is one of these & very clean with very reasonable priced fare in warm comfortable surroundings with BBC News rolling a even newspapers to read. Lovely!!

I've been to the odd nice one architecturally (old cinemas in Braintree and Rugeley spring to mind) but they are generally vast drinking barns and are the MacDonalds of the pubworld. Even those few better ones that serve a decent pint are soulless and I haven't come across one of them I would fancy spending the evening in.

Trog

Established Member
I remember it pouring with rain one day when we were supposed to be doing some re-railing, literally the heavens opened. So there was no chance of doing any welding.

So off to the pub we went, complete with boots and overals, three big yellow gang buses, and a van. Half way through the first round the landlord told us another BR van had pulled up and asked if i was the management come to check up on us. A quick look out a a window showed it to be our S&T team.

Status
Not open for further replies.