Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest! We have recently restructured these forums. Please see our announcement here for more information.

Rail strategy game?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by alexl92, 3 Jan 2018.

1. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

I currently play Trainz occasionally which I really enjoy, but having enjoyed strategy-type games like Theme Hospital and historical strategy games I wondered if there is anything similar for Railways, set in the UK? Something where you start maybe with a small stretch and a loco and have to expand your network and your fleet and operate it successfully?

I know there was a Railroad Tycoon-type thing years ago but I seem to remember it being quite US-focussed and not that great in general? Is there anything newer that fits my bill?

Thanks!

2. Y961 XBU

Y961 XBU Member

Would Train Simulator not count? you buy routes and get missions to complete on them, Some easy and some hard

3. philabos

philabos Member

You might try Open TTD .

4. madjack

madjack New Member

Yes, OpenTTD is showing its age e.g. in graphics (you might argue that's part of the charm) but is probably the best choice - lots of detail to get involved with and it's free. For me it loses its challenge once you have some profitable lines set up, but you can still have fun building complex networks.

I don't have Windows, but if I did I'd have a look at ATrain 6 - I played the original ATrain a lot in the 90s but it's probably too simple now. Mashinky, also only on Windows, is a new game which looks promising. Train Fever is another option but didn't grab me for some reason. I've got high hopes for Voxel Tycoon which might come out in 2018 if we're lucky :D. Although none of those games is specifically UK-focused, they're more random worlds. The challenge with all of these games is to move passengers and cargo to the right place. You could check out some demos on YouTube and see if they grab you.

I'm always surprised that there aren't more suitable games for train fans with the right level of complexity - I guess they're difficult to get right.

5. philabos

philabos Member

Transport Fever on steam is another one with better graphics.

6. Lrd

Lrd Established Member Jobs & Careers Assistant

It's not quite what your after but take a look at Mini Metro, I've spent too many hours playing it, both on PC and Android

7. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Railroad Tycoon II is the closest you will get. But in terms of graphics, it’s worth noting that I used to play it on PlayStation1. It’s available for PC and it’s on Steam, probably quite cheaply.

There is a Railroad Tycoon III, but it doesn’t work with Windows 9 onwards, which is a shame as it was a good game.

8. martian boy

martian boy Member

Railroad Tycoon II was not a bad game for its time in it self. The graphics are a little basic to say the least. I've played it on both PlayStation 1 & 2. The main problem with the game is when the train stops at the station, everything is unloaded. Therefore you can't carry freight through to another destination. Example:- Station A, (loading) passengers, mail, food, steel.
    Station B, (loading) passengers, mail. (requires) passengers, mail, food.
    Station C, (loading) passengers, mail, goods. (requires) passengers, mail, steel (steel required to make goods)

The train leaves station A loaded with two passenger coaches, one mail coach, two food wagons and two steel wagons. It then stops at station B. ALL COACHES AND WAGONS ARE UNLOADED. The train then proceeds to station C. Has the train now has no steel, no goods are made to be picked up. You either have to run the train from A-B-A-C, or run a separate train from A-C. The same would apply on the return journey from C-A if you went via B. This was a big let down that really spoilt a good strategy game, graphics aside.

The graphics on the Dreamcast version were far superior IIRC.

9. D365

D365 Established Member

I've been trying to collect the Steam achievements but the difficulty of these just seems to shoot up after a point.

Train Fever (predecessor to Transport Fever) I have collected all but two achievements for, the final two seem to be my sticking point...

10. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

I believe you are incorrect on that. There is a way to leave goods on the train- it is to do with the coloured flags when you build consists for a train.

11. itznonbine

itznonbine New Member

windows 9 dosent exsist