• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail strikes discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidster

And when they can point to train drivers getting 5% north of the border, it ain't going to wash.
These strikes are gonna last.

In fairness I did say that 2+1 was probably too low and that something like 4/5 + 1 was likely where this would end up which is much more in line with wider economy comparators.

Unfortunately I don't think the RMT would accept that so we all lose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
In the days leading up to this strike, people here were falling over themselves to condemn the strike for disrupting vast swathes of working people. Now I'm seeing people claim that it hasn't disrupted people, which proves the railway is irrelevant and therefore the strike has failed. Which is it?
It has caused great disruption & huge loss of income for a myriad of businesses especially in larger cities that rely on footfall. Unfortunately it will do great harm to the leisure and hospitality as well as Theatres especially in the London area that are still trying to get on their feet after the last couple of years. WFH seems to transfix some as the only thing that matters.

Mintona

Established Member
As a fellow GWR driver I'd just like to say please don't let this situation affect your mental health too much. Life is too short. As others on here have said if the situation is that bad financially then talk to someone in GWR, the union or even another driver, even me! Remember, this situation will likely be put to bed by next year, don't rush into anything as you no doubt have a long career in front of you and you don't want to look back and regret leaving. Things will get better, we just need to tough it out in the short term.

I stress and worry about everything. That’s just who I am. Thanks for the post though, I appreciate it. I’m still going to stress and worry until the mortgage is paid off. God I can’t wait to be 60ish.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I stress and worry about everything. That’s just who I am. Thanks for the post though, I appreciate it. I’m still going to stress and worry until the mortgage is paid off. God I can’t wait to be 60ish.
Please, please, please, don't wish time away. It comes way too fast. At 60 you will worry - "Where has my life gone?"

dk1

Veteran Member
You never know when the phone is going to ring. Better to be safe than sorry. I was on a 9 hour spare day so I still made an hour.
Blimey. Doesn't your DTM just tell you to go home? Even those RDW today did around half what you did. No point clogging up messrooms when there are plenty of others to cover what little work could possibly be needed.

A nightmare in itself having to deal with 4 different unions.
It's no problem really. Always been like that.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I’m glad that is, only your opinion.
If you earn more, you spend more or otherwise there is no point bettering yourself.
The high rate of inflation is disproportionately affecting lower earners because they tend to have less disposable income, and it is unavoidable costs (such as petrol/gas/food) that are rising the most. So a 4% increase, say, but with a minimum increase of £1-2k, would be a fair way of compensating people for the effect that inflation is having on their ability to buy goods and services.

What surprises me is that some trains are running, anyone know why this is? I thought all the drivers were in the same union and therefore once called out they all go out.
95% of National Rail drivers are part of ASLEF, who are not striking yet at most TOCs (although they are balloting now). The disruption has been caused by RMT members going on strike - notably, these comprise a vast percentage of signallers. So the lines that are open are generally being staffed by non-RMT signallers, or contingency staff.

Despite my user-name(!) I wouldn't object to Delay Repay being changed.

I'd probably scrap the 15 minute threshold. I'd also revert to issuing vouchers towards a future journey rather than a cash payment. It has the double-benefit of reducing costs, and tempting people to give the railway another chance after a bad experience.
The concept of cash compensation for delays is well established in every other part of the transport industry and it would be very disappointing to see a retrograde step in this regard. Vouchers for inconvenience are, to many people, the ultimate fob-off.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yeah OK then... :rolleyes: You obviously know better than me who was doing the job for over 4 years and experienced the same salary from day 1.

I went through the recruitment process for cabin crew and that was the salary that was described. I didn't go through with it because it didn't pay enough.

Gems

When you are 60ish you'll worry about your pension being snatched away by the government. Worry about passing medicals. And still have your grown up kids tapping off you for money. :D

SECR263

On BBC 24 hours news today the Head of Network Rail was interviewed and he gave some examples of why change was needed. I wont repeat them as that's his side of the story which may not be true. Have the RMT actually listed all the demands that are required by Government that they have to agree to in order that Shapps will offer a deal or is all this shrouded in secrecy. It would be good to see the arguments of both sides. Don't see why it should be secret. Thanks

Vespa

Established Member
In London this week noticed it's very quiet today, DLR, Overground and Elizabeth line are running, I believe part of central line are running minimal service.

Most have taken leave, WFH or used alternative transport, not so many tourists.

It's not quite bringing London to a standstill.

matacaster

On Moderation
As we're all expected to make sacrifices to make the railways more financially sustainable, how about getting rid of the overly generous Delay Repay scheme. That should save a fair amount + the admin costs involved.
I quite like delay repay but think the money back option ought to be dispensed with. So you would get a free single or return up to a few certain fixed distances (depending on degree of delay). It MIGHT even be possible to automate it if sufficient safeguards can be put in place to avoid fraud. Limiting the reclaim offer makes it simpler and in most cases wouldn't cause overcrowding.

NORTHERNSOUL

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You can't just pick 8 new guards from a pool of redundant booking office staff. What if four of them were colour blind and the other four couldn't pass the required standard ?

As for the Sunday working. It works very well on the Northernrail east side. Basically what is proposed has been in place for years, Most people have no issue with it. Things can be negotiated with the right attitude. But do Tory ministers have the right attitude?
I wondered how long it would be before someone pointed that out but in reality, it wouldn't need to work like that

If for number's sake you needed 5k guards anyone working on the railway could apply for them which would then create 5k vacancies in all sorts of jobs which those facing redundancy could then apply for.

As for the booking offices where the majority of the staff facing redundancy it seems would come from should a long time ago have faced up to this along with the train companies who could have come up with solutions like Merseytravel did.

One suggestion I saw yesterday is that the banks and building societies are currently looking into establishing banking hubs now wouldn't former booking offices be ideal for that given that there would be nothing to stop them selling rail tickets as well on a commission basis.

But why does the ticket seller have to be locked away in an office behind a screen no reason why he couldn't be on the platform assisting customers and selling tickets from a hand held machine.

westv

Established Member
Most drivers are represented by ASLEF who are not striking. It is only the RMT striking. They are one of 4 railway unions. (ASLEF/RMT/TSSA/Unite)
Is Thursday's ASLEF strike on GA still on? I know the Hul Trains one this Sunday has been.

matacaster

On Moderation
I think you may be right. I bet she’s held back loads to give to the nurses, teachers and barristers to really stick it to Boris and Shapps.
Apparently there is already a significant black hole in wee crankie finances. This isn't going to improve matters.

Essan

Hospitality bosses reliant on guests using the rail network say the first 24-hour train strike has already sparked a flood of cancellations.

Scott Meikle owns The Moor of Rannoch Restaurant and Rooms which sits next to Rannoch train station, 40 miles down a single-track road from Pitlochry.

He had 24 room bookings this week until news of the strike cut that to six.

More cancellations over the summer would be "devastating" for business, Mr Meikle said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-61877805

Many such businesses are already struggling because of a shortage of staff, meaning they cannot cater for the same number of guests as usual.

Any railway union member planning a trip to the Highlands would be well advised not to mention his trade!

Gems

I wondered how long it would be before someone pointed that out but in reality, it wouldn't need to work like that

If for number's sake you needed 5k guards anyone working on the railway could apply for them which would then create 5k vacancies in all sorts of jobs which those facing redundancy could then apply for.

As for the booking offices where the majority of the staff facing redundancy it seems would come from should a long time ago have faced up to this along with the train companies who could have come up with solutions like Merseytravel did.

One suggestion I saw yesterday is that the banks and building societies are currently looking into establishing banking hubs now wouldn't former booking offices be ideal for that given that there would be nothing to stop them selling rail tickets as well on a commission basis.

But why does the ticket seller have to be locked away in an office behind a screen no reason why he couldn't be on the platform assisting customers and selling tickets from a hand held machine.
It's a fair point. I mean I have to say I really struggle to find reasons why some ticket offices are open. Perhaps hubs are the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-61877805

Many such businesses are already struggling because of a shortage of staff, meaning they cannot cater for the same number of guests as usual.

Any railway union member planning a trip to the Highlands would be well advised not to mention his trade!
Why not, we might get a discount. :lol:

Mintona

Established Member
Blimey. Doesn't your DTM just tell you to go home? Even those RDW today did around half what you did. No point clogging up messrooms when there are plenty of others to cover what little work could possibly be needed.

I’m not entirely sure what that is. We don’t have them. But at 05.30 I was the last spare man on until 14.39, so I kind of had to stay in case of problems.

LAX54

Established Member
I can totally understand why the lower paid might want to strike. But some of the people employed on the big money are taking the pee.

Perhaps a tapered deal such as 7% rise for anybody on under £25k. 5% rise £25k-£40k, 2% rise for £40k-60k might be appropriate for example. People earning over £60k should rein in their spending if they cannot afford to live.

In my opinion.
Problem with that is, and it is how they used to do pay rises on BR, it erodes the pay difference in the grades, and it gets to a point where a Grade 4 Signaller will not apply for a Grade 7 or similar, as the pay difference for all the extra workload and stress is not worth it !

GeordieO

I suspect that the "private barrister" is actually a Tory councillor and practices in commercial law, and who has spouted considerable amounts of misinformation on a number of issues of late, strangely always supporting the government line.

The other issue for those "publicly funded barristers" is that their fees are structured in a way that frequently leaves them paying to work, and gives incomes that are below minimum wage.
That's surprising and depressing for a career of that nature.

matacaster

On Moderation
A nightmare in itself having to deal with 4 different unions.
Yes, the unions don't like dealing with 13 tocs which makes things awkward for them, but expect the government to negotiate with 4 different unions whose aims can be quite different (as they tend represent mainly high or low earning people) Those 4 unions like to work independently so that once one agrees a deal, the next one demands that settlement plus some more. Unions representing low paid workers aren't really keen on fixed percentages rather want a cash amount, those representing say drivers want a percentage increase.

LAX54

Established Member
The current compensation regime wastes significant amounts of money because the government have taken it as a soft option in the face of a worsening reputation rather than doing the actual hard work of improving punctuality and reliability. Nearly everyone who is using the railway as a ticket holder would rather have a good service (that they've paid expecting to receive) than a few pounds back. It's part of why claim rates are still quite low despite their growth in recent years. Certainly the recent trend of paying out what's often just a few pence for 15 minute delays is ludicrous.
Greater Anglia are doing OK it seems:
Average annual punctuality for the whole of the Greater Anglia network is now at 94.57 per cent.

Punctuality on Greater Anglia’s intercity services between Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester and London have reached an all-time high of 94.2 per cent of trains arriving on time on average throughout the year.

Meanwhile average annual punctuality for other services on the Great Eastern Main Line between Ipswich/Colchester/Clacton/Walton/Harwich and London Liverpool Street is at 94.6 per cent, with 94.8 per cent of trains on the Southend Victoria line running on time throughout the year.

On the West Anglia line between Cambridge/Bishops Stortford/Hertford East and London Liverpool Street, 94.2 per cent of trains have been on time over the last year.

Trains on the Greater Anglia’s regional services have also achieved very high annual punctuality. The top five routes are Norwich to Great Yarmouth with 98.2 per of trains on time throughout the year; Norwich to Sheringham at 97.5 per cent, Norwich to Lowestoft, 97.4 per cent; Marks Tey to Sudbury, 97.2 per cent and Norwich to Cambridge 95.9 per cent.

dk1

Veteran Member
I’m not entirely sure what that is. We don’t have them. But at 05.30 I was the last spare man on until 14.39, so I kind of had to stay in case of problems.
Sorry, Duty Traincrew Manager. We wouldve had around 30 spare drivers at any one time if everybody stayed. We haven't got that many seats :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It's no problem really. Always been like that.

you had people in on rest days?

Status
Not open for further replies.