Rail Themed April Fools Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpacePhoenix, 1 Apr 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Just spotted this April Fools Day news story: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...mmuters_to_use_carriages_for_business_events/

Anyone else seen any good April Fools stories?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Unable to link but check out the Facebook page of Haddington Based Prentice Coaches for a good one!

4. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Link (facebook post) to April Fools Day story about a Hoverbus:

https://www.facebook.com/prenticeco...360753156339/1426164440775958/?type=3&theater

5. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

A few years back I posted on this forum that this Thursday (April 1st) the 1129 service from Brockenhurst would not now stop at Lymington Pier.

I don't have the link, but another was to take a photo of Tangmere on a main line charter and photoshopped the image so that the loco bore the nameplates and number of Manston

6. Simon11

Simon11 Member

INK-REDIBLE: Virgin Trains launches world’s first ticket tattoo

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/abou...s-launches-worlds-first-ticket-tattoo-1891052

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Apr 2017
  7. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    What jolly japes.......

8. 321446

321446 Member

A full Rail Replacement Bus Service Replacement Train Service is in operation today on Greater Anglia.

Apologies if this unexpected convenience affects your plans, but fear not, we will be running buses to Newbury Park from Wickford tomorrow.

Thank-you.

9. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Steam Railway magazine did a good one years ago when they said that 3440. City of Truro was being painted into BR black, some people were up in arms about it and of course, this was in the 1980s so no internet or camera phones. They painted one side of it black at the Severn Valley, took photos and published them.
    Another one I remember from back then was of a class 31 being named 'Railtour Enterprise', I think that was done by Rail (Enthusiast) magazine and it was taken as gospel and printed in the Ian Allan motive power books by mistake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 1 Apr 2017
  10. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

RailScot has an unusual picture taken at York.

11. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

Admittedly, I think that City of Truro would look quite good in full B.R Black, gleaming from that image. Would obviously never happen, but you can but fantasize! lol

12. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

The "I" newspaper was an article about taking all the seats out of upto 3 coaches per train and making them standing only. A 45mm circle for standing space. After 9 journeys as a reward your 10th is in first class.

Will edit if I can find a link.

Trouble is - DFT may read it and implement it.

13. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Probably been thought of and already implemented - of sorts. Haven't seats been removed and/or realligned in some carriages to allow more standing room?
    NB 2nd class v 1st class difference - in first you get a strap to hang on to.

Apart from that, wonder if trains were split into three, 1st class, 2nd class seating and 3rd class standing (for half the 2nd class ticket), how many of us would chose to stand for journeys under 1 hr??

14. MarkyT

MarkyT Established Member

Not part of any whacky story, the print edition of the Express this morning (not mine I must add!) illustrates Flying Scotsman's run over Ribblehead viaduct yesterday with an unfeasibly long train (17 cars) in tow. Careful examination reveals backgound continuity errors and coaches and arches repeated. (Bad) photoshop for sure, but was it 'subtle' April foolery, an attempt to tweak the image to more successfully and impressively fill the page, or a test to see what they could get away with without anyone noticing?!!

15. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Is this believable or not?

16. Calthrop

Calthrop Established Member

There was of course the cherished “Ruritania” special photo feature in the April – 1967, I’m virtually certain the year was – Railway World (I’ve posted about this elsewhere on the Forums). Ostensibly showing pictures from the fictitious, but often-cited from way back, Eastern European nation of Ruritania. The idea arose from the way that many earnest but photographically untalented railway enthusiasts in the last years of BR steam, rather went wild with making and circulating badly-executed pictures of said subject matter – thus the comment thereon by connoisseurs of photography, “from looking at these pics, they might as well have been taken in Ruritania”.

Hence RW’s several-page spread of bad, blurry, from-too-far-off British steam pictures, with supporting “informative” text telling of their being recent shots of Ruritanian steam, plus various background about the country: with its supposedly being in Eastern Europe, it was assumed to be as at the 1960s, a Soviet satellite People’s Republic with all that that implied – off to the Gulag for blinking at the wrong moment, hostility to railway photographers as perceived spies, and all the rest. The supposed locations of the pictures were indicated in the text, with “reversed” British place names which hopefully, looked a bit Eastern European -- I seem to recall Senyek Detsroh, Yrubnus, and Aps Notgnimael; and something was worked in, about the Mitkriketten Turnip Tossing Contest at Sdrol.

Many readers took pleasure from joining in the fun, with letters to the magazine in the same spirit, printed for several issues thereafter – some of these bods feigning to be Ruritanian officials or railway enthusiasts actually writing from the country concerned, with back-to-front names accordingly; think I recollect one from the CME of the Ruritanian State Railways, K.I. Lenürb. There were also a few letters from folk seemingly not blessed with much of a sense of humour, indignantly asking what RW thought they were playing at by wasting so much print and publishing-space on this drivel.

17. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Another bus related one, courtesy of NXWM.

https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidl...017859643256/1472084782836551/?type=3&theater

18. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

Not rail-themed, but it is from the Virgin group. The Virgin 1417...

[youtube]n_ob-5eC8uw[/youtube]

19. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

It's nice, but it's no iPlayer Penguins.

20. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

TOC's such as Virgin should concentrate their energies in running a decent train service rather than engaging in April Fools stories. VTWC couldn't even be bothered to divert services via the G&SW today forcing all Glasgow bound passengers onto buses from Carlisle.

21. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

From memory, diverting via the G&SW takes just about if not longer than a bus from Carlisle and the single-line section means that it isn't easy to plan in additional services without cancelling existing ones. Should Scotrail have cancelled services to allow through running of Virgin services?

22. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

My wife reported it to me as fact, having already spotted what she considered as the 'i' April Fool story!

23. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Following the positive response from enthusiasts to the planned return of 442s to the LWSR, Northern plan to deal with delayed cascades by reintroducing "Heritage" units to rural routes.

Huddersfield to Sheffield will be the first route to be treated, with a dedicated fleet of 4 units (a 110, a 108, and two 101s) working from a new depot at Honley (sub-leased from Arriva-owned Yorkshire Tiger).

24. Dai Corner

Dai Corner Established Member

Arriva Trains Wales are today previewing the service pattern to be introduced after they win the new franchise, the first to be awarded by the Welsh Government.

Trains from the Valleys which would normally go to Cardiff Central are terminating at Cardiff Queen Street

The Transport Minister said "In what we believe is a unique collaboration, Transport for Wales and NHS Wales are getting together to ensure commuters get more exercise by walking between stations or to their destinations."

25. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

It probably takes someone in their Comms team (nothing to do with the ops/planning side) 5 minutes to write, with a few ideas bounded around whilst chatting over lunch.

26. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I can't accept that there are zero pathing opportunities (that don't involve considering cancelling existing services) even for a two hourly divert in each direction - where there is a will there is a way.

27. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Scotrail had to alter their timetable to allow for Virgin diverts when Lammington viaduct was closed. So, you're correct that it's possible to schedule them in but it isn't a straightforward thing to do. You also have to consider the impact on the other end of the journey as well - the longer journey time via the GSW means that the Virgin service needs to find a new path into Birmingham and/or Euston as well.

28. SteveP29

SteveP29 Member

The rage from some people on the VTEC Facebook page was comical.
    I've never seen so many get into a fluster and scream about the holocaust ever.

I agree that when you put it into context, tattooing and trains can be tenuously linked to what happened during WW2, but frothing at the mouth before you've even a, checked the date and b, read the story is just ridiculous

29. Geezertronic

Geezertronic Established Member

There's always one :)

30. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

How much time and effort do you think it took to write a single press release?

31. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Judging by the reaction to it, probably not enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.