• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail travel voucher expiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol Rover

I've got a voucher which expires on Thursday, and I won't be travelling via rail before then.

Do TOCs reissue expired vouchers upon request? The firm in question is FGW.

I could book a journey I'm likely to make in a month or two, but I'd rather save it for a journey I'm certain to make.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I've never heard of an RTV being 'renewed' to extend its period of validity. But there's nothing stopping you from using it while it is still valid to buy a ticket for a journey several weeks or months in advance.
You could be buying a ticket for somebody else if you don't intend travelling yourself in the coming months.
You can also use it towards buying a Railcard (could be a gift for a friend or relative), to buy a "Rover" or "Ranger" leisure pass or to top-up an Oyster Card.

Johnny Lewis

I'd be fairly (99%) certain that the answer to this is NO. You should have had a full 12 months in which to use them that is for sure!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Virgin Trains will always reissue on request a travel voucher which has expired and hasn't been used. You just need to send the unused one back to them. (Obviously that's Virgin Trains-issued vouchers only!)

I would give FGW a ring and politely ask if it's possible.

HYPODERMIC

Virgin Trains will always reissue on request a travel voucher which has expired and hasn't been used. You just need to send the unused one back to them. (Obviously that's Virgin Trains-issued vouchers only!)
Blimey, what's the catch!? That seems unusually egalitarian of a business, considering that the voucher has expired, and so they're under no obligation whatsoever to provide a new one.

Not complaining, though!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Blimey, what's the catch!? That seems unusually egalitarian of a business, considering that the voucher has expired, and so they're under no obligation whatsoever to provide a new one.

Not complaining, though!

There isn't one. It's called customer service. ;)

Bristol Rover

Rang them up.

They said that if the voucher was issued for compensation, they'd renew it (albeit only on a one-off basis - i.e. you only get to do this once). If it's a goodwill gesture, then no renewal.

I couldn't remember which it was, but they looked it up and it was a goodwill voucher, so I've booked a journey for mid-June.

Status
Not open for further replies.