• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Travel Voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenzo99

Hello,

I have a RAIL TRAVEL VOUCHER, that I was offered as compensation. It was issued by East Coast.

My question is, can I use this on ANY uk train and train service and can I redeem it at ANY UK station?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Indeed you can. It's also valid for rail rangers and rovers (I got a NWM Daytripper with my last one)

island

Veteran Member
You can redeem it for any journey, but only at stations with an open ticket office.

If you join the train at an unstaffed station you are entitled to use it to buy on board or at your destination.

bakerstreet

You can redeem it for any journey, but only at stations with an open ticket office.

If you join the train at an unstaffed station you are entitled to use it to buy on board or at your destination.

That's really useful I didn't know that. Many's the time I've bought a ticket from a machine rather than risk that discussion, on one occasion meaning a 10pouns voucher was left unspent!

Is this written down anywhere? No chance it could end in a penalty fare or worse?

island

Veteran Member
Section 7.3 of the Penalty Fares Rules should cover you.

If you are spending money on top of the voucher you are technically supposed to also buy a ticket or Permit to Travel for part of your journey.

RJ

Established Member
I have a few of the things, wish they wouldn't do £50 in one single coupon as it's difficult to spend!

Brucey

I have a few of the things, wish they wouldn't do £50 in one single coupon as it's difficult to spend!

I agree, multiples of £5 or £10 would be much more useful.

I tend to just stick larger vouchers onto my Oyster card now. At least I can spend them in dribs and drabs without any expiry. Although for people who don't visit London then this is pointless!

RJ

Established Member

I tend to just stick larger vouchers onto my Oyster card now. At least I can spend them in dribs and drabs without any expiry. Although for people who don't visit London then this is pointless!

I would do that but I've managed to obtain a pass for free TfL Travel and use Priv for everything else instead of Oyster. I might do an ALR and spunk the rest on my weekly EMT commute for the next few months :)

lyesbkz

What would happen if one stuck a load of RTVs onto an Oyster card and then returned the card at a later date requesting a refund? Would the credit be returned as RTVs?

RJ

Established Member

I would do that but I've managed to obtain a pass for free TfL Travel and use Priv tickets for everything else instead of Oyster. I might do an ALR and spunk the rest on my weekly EMT commute for the next few months although this is risky, because it relies on the gem of a fare I currently pay remaining valid for the journey :p

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

When I worked in London, LUL seemed to delight in giving passengers vouchers to a value of no more than £2, which isn't fun for the passenger or the clerk that has to issue a ticket against twenty of the blighters!

NorthOxford

My girlfriend was told when she tried to use a rail voucher that the station only accepted rail vouchers at certain times. Has this happened to anyone else?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My girlfriend was told when she tried to use a rail voucher that the station only accepted rail vouchers at certain times. Has this happened to anyone else?

Well, if that is what they specifically said, that's poppycock.

However, booking offices may have an exception to selling tickets requiring reservations/for advance travel at certain peak hours, as defined in an industry document called Schedule 17. Are you sure she wasn't told this, instead?

island

Veteran Member

What station was it, and what ticket was she trying to buy? RTVs are a bit of a faff to put through some TISs.

RJ

Established Member
When I worked in London, LUL seemed to delight in giving passengers vouchers to a value of no more than £2, which isn't fun for the passenger or the clerk that has to issue a ticket against twenty of the blighters!

I had someone at my window with £250 worth of £5 vouchers issued by East Coast turn up 5 minutes before the ticket office closed demanding things that we did not offer, such as seasons on Oyster and the conversion of prepay credit to a season. Needless to say, I refused to serve the numpty as he had a really ars*y attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.