• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Travel Vouchers to be replaced by cash refunds/compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Exactly, so my advise would be to buy all tickets on a card from now on if you want the "cash" (credit back onto your card) in the event of being able to make a valid delay claim for your journey. That way there is no cop out for the TOCss because you've paid for your ticket by card and this is exactly what the NRCoC has provision for here.

By that I assume you mean buy the ticket by card from the website of the same TOC you intend to use. Otherwise they won't have your card details to process a refund.

Personally, when it happens to me, I'll be insisting on BACS or a cheque and if it's not forthcoming, involve Transport Focus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Really? You ought to tell that to First Great Western then. They have made it clear that if you want cash compensation it'll be at the rate set out in the NRCoC. If their Passenger's Charter is more generous (and it is in most cases) then you will only get that extra generosity if you opt for Rail Travel Vouchers.

Although I notice they also offer e-vouchers which is more than other companies do.

gray1404

Established Member
By that I assume you mean buy the ticket by card from the website of the same TOC you intend to use. Otherwise they won't have your card details to process a refund.

Personally, when it happens to me, I'll be insisting on BACS or a cheque and if it's not forthcoming, involve Transport Focus.

It should not make any difference if its a different TOC your delayed on to who you booked the ticket with. It will be possible for the TOC to see you've paid for your ticket by card by looking at the ticket. They can then contact you to request your card details or indeed ask for these details on the claim form. However, I would personally prefer BACs too. Also, given the way this thread is going and companies are already starting to offer cash only in line with the NRCoC yet paying out in RTVs at a higher rate (though delay repay or passenger's charter) then I would opt for the higher rate. I do wish though it was the same (higher) amount regardless of how you choose to receive your compensation.

extendedpaul

I've just received from Virgin Trains East Coast a letter and rail travel voucher for a delayed journey.

The letter states they are sending "rail travel vouchers" which indeed they did. I've been sent a sheet of four vouchers, three of them VOID and the whole amount on the fourth one.

It's more than I am ever likely to spend at a ticket office at one time and no change can be given. It cannot be used online.

Result - I've requested the offered cash alternative. It wouldn't have cost them more to have split the amount between the vouchers and including void ones seems to be an odd policy.

westv

Established Member
Had a 28 min delay ( I originally thought it was 30 but Raildar shows 28) on a journey the other Friday. Delay repay refused by VTEC. I expect it would have been accepted prior to cash being offered.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I got a sheet with 'Void' ones from VTEC. Is it just to make the whole thing up to A4 size?

Abpj17

Had a 28 min delay ( I originally thought it was 30 but Raildar shows 28) on a journey the other Friday. Delay repay refused by VTEC. I expect it would have been accepted prior to cash being offered.

I'm not sure that's the case. GTR have declined claims before and after the 'swap for cash' that were just under 30 mins.

More broadly, for the second time I've received a sheet of four with three voided - it just seems like a waste of paper :s They also advise that the letter must be retained if swapping for cash so it's not they are for delay repay (why that isn't possible to put on the voucher itself I'm not sure).

paddington

Well, I'm quite happy to receive the mandated minimum in cash, or more in vouchers and will make the decision each time I am delayed.

I do the same on airlines, where one can be offered several alternatives. Often it is possible to be paid compensation above the value of the original ticket, but this doesn't void your right to EC261/2004 compensation (provided that your boarding denial was involuntary).

gray1404

Established Member
So just to confirm, if you want cash on Thameslink Great Northern RTVs you need to also take the covering letter to the booking office? Another spanner in the works for the passenger.

snail

Established Member
I've received a sheet of four with three voided - it just seems like a waste of paper.
But probably simpler to process. One sheet of A4 vouchers, one letter insert in envelope. The letters are often a waste of paper as well, I don't really need a 2-page explanation of how delays occur from time to time.

Abpj17

So just to confirm, if you want cash on Thameslink Great Northern RTVs you need to also take the covering letter to the booking office? Another spanner in the works for the passenger.

According to the letter, yes - yet to see if the staff actually ask for it

thealexweb

Last week myself and two companions travelled between Bolton and Wilmslow and back. On our return journey, First Transpennine Express' Manchester Piccadilly to Bolton service was delayed during its journey north. We arrived in to Bolton railway station 30 minutes later than scheduled. We put in a delay repay claim and we requested that any payment to be made by cheque. Transpennine have promptly replied with the offer of a cheque for £8.09.

Our question is this, whilst travelling on the tickets shown below, is this a fair deal on a 30 minute delay on one half on our journey? Would we have been offered a greater amount in rail travel vouchers.

Attachments

• 2015-08-04 13.37.37.jpg
    2015-08-04 13.37.37.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 48

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think you've got more than you're entitled to.

You paid a total of £16.15 for your return tickets. Delay Repay for a delay of 30-59 minutes is usually 50% of the price of that leg (which would actually be £4.06).

They've paid you twice the amount they need to.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
From the TPE Passengers Charter (I do not think they operate a Delay Repay scheme).

If you hold a ticket for a single or return journey, or a weekly Season
Ticket (not Passenger Transport Executive products), and a delay to a
First TransPennine Express service adds 30 minutes or longer to your
journey, we will offer you National Rail travel vouchers for the full cost
of the single leg of your journey that was delayed, i.e. 100%
compensation for single tickets and 50% for return tickets.

So the chances are they would have issued an £8.10 RTV.

A1

I have the comment 'Unfortunately we cannot exchange vouchers for cheques' on the bottom of a GNR payment letter. The payment wasn't for a delay though, so they must be excluding it.

bnm

Established Member
Really? You ought to tell that to First Great Western then. They have made it clear that if you want cash compensation it'll be at the rate set out in the NRCoC. If their Passenger's Charter is more generous (and it is in most cases) then you will only get that extra generosity if you opt for Rail Travel Vouchers.

Apologies for quoting myself, but I've learnt today that FGW have had a change of heart over the different compensation payouts depending on the payment method you chose. Now, if you opt for cash, you will get compensation as per FGW's Passenger Charter, rather than the minimum specified in the National Rail Conditions Of Carriage.

Something of a U-turn from FGW, after the differential was brought to the attention of the DfT by Money Saving Expert. MSE had received complaints from FGW passengers.

I myself had complained to Transport Focus after correspondence with FGW. I was expecting their usual toothless response and it seems I wasted a stamp. Should have gone direct to Martin Lewis!

FGW's spin is that this was all an error. An 'error' they reinforced through correspondence and communication via customer services and social media. I don't buy their excuse. It was a conscious decision. One they've been embarrassed into reversing by MSE and the DfT.

More here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...h-compensation-for-delays-after-mse-challenge

Can't quote the article as I'm posting from my phone.

Last edited:

jsmith300

Got a Delay Repay response from VTEC today but weirdly the envelope said if undelivered return to FGW? Not seen that before!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Virgin Trains East Coast, like East Coast did before them. use Customer Relations contracted out to First Group in Plymouth. It's one of the reasons I think why their responses are usually so poor quality - the actual First Group TOCs that use that office usually have quite good staff on the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.