• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Trips Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Watched a TV programme last week on C5, that featured the Northern Belle going on a steam trip from Preston, along the LNWR to Carlisle, then back via the SCR, hauled by Princess Elizabeth.

I was just wondering if anyone knows when it was filmed, I thought that it was an old repeat, but some of it seemed fairly new and I am sure that I saw some people on platforms and the serving staff on board wearing face masks. If it was recent, I did not realise that Princess Elizabeth was allowed back on the main lines again. ?

Some of the carriages looked quite modern MK3 Aircon, yet others seemed older and there was a reference to one carriage, I don't know which one, but I think it had an unusual name, being a favourite of HLM Queen Elizabeth the queen mother.)

It was a good programme anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I Watched a TV programme last week on C5, that featured the Northern Belle going on a steam trip from Preston, along the LNWR to Carlisle, then back via the SCR, hauled by Princess Elizabeth.

I was just wondering if anyone knows when it was filmed, I thought that it was an old repeat, but some of it seemed fairly new and I am sure that I saw some people on platforms and the serving staff on board wearing face masks. If it was recent, I did not realise that Princess Elizabeth was allowed back on the main lines again. ?

Some of the carriages looked quite modern MK3 Aircon, yet others seemed older and there was a reference to one carriage, I don't know which one, but I think it had an unusual name, being a favourite of HLM Queen Elizabeth the queen mother.)

It was a good programme anyway.
Leaving Preston the train was formed Loco, support coach then two Mk3 sleepers presumably for staff use, then mainly Mk2 air conditioned stock with a couple of Mk1 kitchen cars and the rear two vehicles were Metro Cammell Pullmans with a diesel behind that to provide ETH and contingency. I don't recall which coach was allegedly a favourite of the Queen Mother.

I found the continuity very annoying as some of the 'northbound' shots via Shap were on non-electrified lines and then returning south over the Settle and Carlisle after reversal at Carlisle, whilst I don't recall any OLE incursions, the train was randomly sometimes correctly shown with the Pullmans at the front and other times had the sleepers on the front, obviously not all filmed on the same day. Another irritation is the scripting which makes Bill Nighy's narration inaccurate, after visiting the farmer in the Lake District he said '80 miles to Carlisle' when Preston to Carlisle is only 90, similar errors in earlier episodes - Inverness to Edinburgh 200 miles and allegedly take 4 hours, and from Glasgow 70 miles to Ardlui and 200 miles to Mallaig. These plus random factually incorrect statements (although I don't recall any on this episode) do make the commentary by far the worst element of these programmes.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Leaving Preston the train was formed Loco, support coach then two Mk3 sleepers presumably for staff use, then mainly Mk2 air conditioned stock with a couple of Mk1 kitchen cars and the rear two vehicles were Metro Cammell Pullmans with a diesel behind that to provide ETH and contingency. I don't recall which coach was allegedly a favourite of the Queen Mother.

I found the continuity very annoying as some of the 'northbound' shots via Shap were on non-electrified lines and then returning south over the Settle and Carlisle after reversal at Carlisle, whilst I don't recall any OLE incursions, the train was randomly sometimes correctly shown with the Pullmans at the front and other times had the sleepers on the front, obviously not all filmed on the same day. Another irritation is the scripting which makes Bill Nighy's narration inaccurate, after visiting the farmer in the Lake District he said '80 miles to Carlisle' when Preston to Carlisle is only 90, similar errors in earlier episodes - Inverness to Edinburgh 200 miles and allegedly take 4 hours, and from Glasgow 70 miles to Ardlui and 200 miles to Mallaig. These plus random factually incorrect statements (although I don't recall any on this episode) do make the commentary by far the worst element of these programmes.
Yes I had noticed that the continuity was out of sync. (At the moment, I'd just like to get on a train, any train, anywhere) Thank you for the replies. I think his programme later this week is in Northern Italy.

Veteran Member
I'm just watching the Bill Nighy Bernina/Glacier Express - not only does the trip go back and forward (two visits to Lago Bianco, two to the Landwasser Viaduct), but half the external views of the train(s) show the loco/power cars at the rear - reversed footage. (No driving trailers.)

Established Member
I'm just watching the Bill Nighy Bernina/Glacier Express - not only does the trip go back and forward (two visits to Lago Bianco, two to the Landwasser Viaduct), but half the external views of the train(s) show the loco/power cars at the rear - reversed footage. (No driving trailers.)
Watched it too, but I guess it us only us on here that would notice. The scenery is what it is all about and that’s spectacular. Oh to be dining at Alp Grum again sometime soon.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Watched it too, but I guess it us only us on here that would notice. The scenery is what it is all about and that’s spectacular. Oh to be dining at Alp Grum again sometime soon.
Yes, that would be very good to do.

Veteran Member
Yes, that would be very good to do.
As I said to my wife, that table (south corner of the terrace) is where we drank our Glühwein last February.... (we had the bonus of seeing a special with a preserved Bernina Crocodile - Bill Nighy isn't into that sort of train....)

Status
Not open for further replies.