• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcar at Southampton Bay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
Just passed Southampton Central and in the Bay was a single car # 57373 [?], showing 'LEICESTER' as the destination! Never seen a DMU in the Bay before...EMUs occasionally and Thunderbird 73 only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

57373 is the vehicle number for Wessex unit 153373 so I guess it's not really a stranger to Southampton. Don't know about the Leicester bit though!

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The reason it was probably in the bay was that it was one of the FGW services that start from Southampton rather than Portsmouth/Brighton. I'm no expert but in my experience they tend to arrive/depart at the country end of the island platform with ex-Portsmouth SWT/ex-London Southern services using the London end to terminate in. Maybe the island platforms were needed for some through services so they plonked the FGW service in the bay?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There's bay platforms at Soton Central?! Can't say I've ever seen them!

My experience dictates the ex-London SWT/Southern services arrive in the westbound platform, tip out, ECS move out of the station, reverse into the eastbound platform (1 or 2, depending on what's occupying space. Primarily 1 for the fasts with SWT, Southern always 1 in my experience), load up and off to London. WSX (sorry, FGW) units usually arrive (when going to Portsmouth/Brighton) at platform 2, load up/tip out and off again. Coming back they usually use platform 4. The stopper to Swindon via Melksham or to Bristol usually arrives into platform 3 at the westbound half of it, load up and off again.

Haven't been to Soton Central since...umm, March 2005 if memory serves me correctly, so things have no doubt changed!

ChrisM

Southampton has one bay platform which is electrified only half way and are used for anything from 150/153/450/444/377/442 and even a freightliner 57 stabled there.
It's used when the goods loop sidings outside are full or needed.
Southern services normally arrive in platform 4 before moving to the goods loop or arrive and stay in platform 3 before leaving platform 3 for Victoria.
The 153s which only run to Southampton can arrive from any direction as some arrive via Chandlers Ford from Romsey.
All platforms are bi-directional and services seems to arrive and leave in no sort of order even freightliners run through platform 1 or 4 depending on time.
Hope this of some help.

Coxster

Established Member
Here's an image of the bay that I took a while back.

450056.jpg

Oracle

Established Member
The same unit went along the Down Test Valley the other day with 'Sudbury' on the rear destination!

There is may I stress no Platform number 5 or any indication on the station that there is a platform other than the regular numbers 1 to 4. It is strictly non-passenger I am led to believe and therefore never could be used in regular service, so that this all makes sense. I have also seen the Thunderbird 73 stabled in the bay in the distant past.

I believe that after many years of trying last year I finally cracked leaving and arriving from all regular platforms in both directions. This took so much time as I was not intending to cross each off my list as others do. I have also been on both lines through Southampton Tunnel from both directions. However these days I have not seen a 'wrong line' working through the tunnel for some considerable time. It obviously happens when I am not around!

Oracle

Established Member
The other day there was a 153 that appeared at Soton Central and ran through light, from the Millbrook direction, and thencce through the tunnel. I think that this unit then forms the 1427? Soton Central to Bristol TM stopping at everywhere? Do they run to Eastleigh for servicing before stabling at Central for a time?

Turbostar

Well, looking it up, 153373 is def a Westcountry unit, & has been for quite some time. Can't explain why it would have 'Leicester' & 'Sudbury' on the destination indicator though. Very strange. :scratch:

Mart

Oracle

Established Member
Reminds of about 1980 a Pressed Steel Suburban Bubblecar unit still had 'STAINES WEST' on the blinds!

The car I saw recently at Soton had the Weymouth - Bristol line branding! Seen it a few times now.

Jim

Established Member
Automotivehistorian said:
The car I saw recently at Soton had the Weymouth - Bristol line branding! Seen it a few times now.
153373 is deffinatly in contention then.

There is a move, 1210# in to P1 IIRC, that then does SAP - Eastleigh - Chandlers Ford - Romsey - Millbrook - Soton as a class 5

Oracle

Established Member
Still can't understand why the car went through non-stop the other day...into t' tunnel and disappears. Only later to come in ECS from the Eastleigh direction...do the FGW DMUs get refuelled at Eastleigh?

Turbostar

Eastleigh has shut down, it's no more, unfortunately. With reguards to the livery, even though they have different styles for different areas, Devon & Cornwall, St. Ives line (Cornwall), , Looe Valley (Cornwall), Heart of Wales, Heart of Wessex, the ex-Wessex 153s can be seen anywhere on the old Wessex network, irrespective of what livery it's in. Also, it might not have gone towards Eastleigh, it might have turned off at St. Denys, and gone along the line to Fareham, even Portsmouth. How long was it before it returned, & did it come back alone, or with another unit attached?

Mart

devon_metro

Established Member
Blue bricks my lordzz. The Dt ives line livery is smashing :p, shame about the essex interior. Ex-RR interior is great. Nice comfortable 158 ish seat, unlike the new 150ish seats in the Wessex refurbs.

Jim

Established Member
Automotivehistorian said:
Went of on its todd ECS and came back ECS on its todd as well. Where's the nearest refuelling arrangement for Southampton now?
There isn't 1 for WSX/FGW 153 diagrams, in an emergancy Fratton, but VERY unlikely

Turbostar

The nearest fuelling point, albeit SWT, would be Salisbury. It's the only logical place it could go, heading towards Eastleigh then Romsey, providing it was going to be refuelled. It might of been on another mission.

Mart

T

Tom

Parts of Eastleigh is still open as Virgin stable and refuel there overnight.

T

Tom

Virgin don't use the Alstom bit. Remember Eastleigh is still used for all the 450 stock transfers with Channel Tunnel - Bournemouth via Wembley and Eastleigh.

BTW, it was GEC Alsthom. It's now just Alstom!

EDIT: Also Network Rail have a base there, as I'm sure Steve will come along and say...

Brian EWS

EWS Eastleigh is very much alive and as you said does work on the Voyagers over night. They also do maintenance on FL 57's. as well as MOD wagons and the odd EWS 66! They are storing the French 58's there as they come back. 3 there already. Here is a picture of the fuel point.

Attachments

• 60048 Eastleigh.jpg
    60048 Eastleigh.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 19

Turbostar

Might not be so. Didn't I read somewhere the 2 units they use on the Lymington branch, run to Southampton or Romsey once a week or something to initially turn the units 'round', so as to even up the tyre wear, & avoid unexpected trips to the wheel lathe?

Mart

Coxster

Established Member
They go on 'turning trips' every now and again which run from Bournemouth to Fareham, then reverse upto Eastleigh and run back down to Bournemouth.

As for the Slammer in the bay at Southampton today, all I know is a 73 was despatched to it this morning. Not sure why.

T

Tom

The train was stabled there overnight - it failed to start in the morning so a 73 was despatched, though not sure why!

Oracle

Established Member
There was a bridge bash Friday, so the line was suspended whilst engineers did work.
I now think that the CIG was let out from BH or allowed out before the engineering works commenced and was then stabled overnight in "P5" at Southampton Central. It then failed to gird its loins, and as a consequence had to be taken away.

Here's the 450:

http://www.nostalgiaroad.co.uk/450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.