• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard associated with an Oyster Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpete

I have my Senior Railcard associated with my Oyster Card to give me reduced rates on LU at Off Peak times. My railcard has now expired, I have not used my Oyster Card since. Is my Railcard expiry date tied to my Oyster Card or do I need to get them de-linked as whilst this Virus is among us I have no wish to renew my railcard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OliverH68

I have my Senior Railcard associated with my Oyster Card to give me reduced rates on LU at Off Peak times. My railcard has now expired, I have not used my Oyster Card since. Is my Railcard expiry date tied to my Oyster Card or do I need to get them de-linked as whilst this Virus is among us I have no wish to renew my railcard.
Yes, it is tied so that the discount expires on your railcard expiry. Simply go to any TfL station and staff can re-add it for you.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The member of staff has to set an expiry date when adding a railcard discount to an Oyster card. Once the expiry date has passed the Oyster card will act like a normal card and any journeys made will be charged at the undiscounted fare.

If you decide to get a new Railcard then simply visit another Underground station and the discount can be added again to your Oyster card.

island

Veteran Member
If your Railcard has expired your Oyster card will go back to charging full fare automatically.

PeterC

Established Member
When I had my 2 year Senior Railcard added last autumn I was told that they couldn't give it the full 2 year validity in one go and I would have to go back to a station this year.

island

Veteran Member
There’s no such thing as a 2 year Senior Railcard.

The maximum duration that the machines will allow to be added is 3 years. It is possible to get a bit over 3 years’ validity, such as with a 3 year Railcard issued either as a renewal or a new card that arrives very fast, as they issue with an extra week to allow for lost time in the post. If as a result of this the expiry is a little over that 3 year mark when you seek to have the Railcard linked, then it will error out when the staff member seeks to add it. They will then need to add it for a shorter time and you can get it corrected when there is less than 3 years left on the card.

PeterC

Established Member
There’s no such thing as a 2 year Senior Railcard.

The maximum duration that the machines will allow to be added is 3 years. It is possible to get a bit over 3 years’ validity, such as with a 3 year Railcard issued either as a renewal or a new card that arrives very fast, as they issue with an extra week to allow for lost time in the post. If as a result of this the expiry is a little over that 3 year mark when you seek to have the Railcard linked, then it will error out when the staff member seeks to add it. They will then need to add it for a shorter time and you can get it corrected when there is less than 3 years left on the card.
Senior moment whole typing. I meant 3 year of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.