• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard check at Man Picc gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
All that quote says is that you must show the Photocard when asked to show your Railcard, not your Railcard when asked to show your ticket(s)...

Quite. Not that the T&Cs for the 16-25 Railcard have any relevance at all to the case in question as the OP holds a Senior Railcard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Clearly gateline staff are within their rights to adk for a railcard, but in tetms of the smooth flow of passengers, why ask for something that a ticket gate would not require?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I must say I am really struggling to see the difference between the sides in this debate!

Senior Railcard T&C said:
5. You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, the Train Companies reserve the right to charge you the full price Standard or First Class Single fare as appropriate for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare.

https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/help/railcard-terms-conditions/

From which I would determine, it doesn't matter where rail staff asking for sight of your railcard are, booking office, platform, gateline, onboard etc.

During a revenue inspection strictly speaking your liability to show the railcard depends on the words the member of staff uses, however, in any real life situation, no one is going to be penalised for only additionally showing their railcard after being specifically asked for it.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Quite!
But it appears some people just like to be awkward and make their lives difficult.
Only showing a ticket instead of both the ticket and railcard doesn't make life difficult, quite the opposite in fact, it makes life easier not having to fish out your railcard. :rolleyes:

Ticket gates don't require it, why would any occasional traveller expect manned gatelines to be any different?

Established Member
Only showing a ticket instead of both the ticket and railcard doesn't make life difficult, quite the opposite in fact, it makes life easier not having to fish out your railcard. :rolleyes:

Ticket gates don't require it, why would any occasional traveller expect manned gatelines to be any different?
But why have them separate in the first place? If people take an age to find their Railcard and waste my time, it's just as easy to waste theirs.

TUC

Established Member
But why have them separate in the first place? If people take an age to find their Railcard and waste my time, it's just as easy to waste theirs.
Well I hope your not saying that as rail staff because it's hardly a professional attitude. It's no different to a supermarket where an old lady might take a long time to find change. You just accept that courtesy and a customer friendly attitude are core skills for the job and accept it.

Established Member
Well I hope your not saying that as rail staff because it's hardly a professional attitude. It's no different to a supermarket where an old lady might take a long time to find change. You just accept that courtesy and a customer friendly attitude are core skills for the job and accept it.

If I ask for all tickets and railcards as I enter the coach and then I get half way down and someone still hasn't got theirs out and starts maing a fuss, then I am sorry but everyone else in the carriage can do it so why not them? One of my pet peeves.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

As an "occasional traveller" I carry my Disabled Card and my tickets in the same wallet and if I have to show them at any time I do so, because that is the SIMPLEST way. Having them in separate pockets/wallets/what ever would make it more difficult!

Established Member
As an "occasional traveller" I carry my Disabled Card and my tickets in the same wallet and if I have to show them at any time I do so, because that is the SIMPLEST way. Having them in separate pockets/wallets/what ever would make it more difficult!
Exactly. What is the point?

AndrewE

Established Member

I quite agree. There is a similar thread running in parallel with this about being asked to show staff ID cards to back up a priv ticket at barrier lines. Priv/Travel cards are valuable and cost you for a replacement if your pocket is picked, so why have them where they can be taken if you are only needing to show a ticket (that had to have the entitlement card shown when it was purchased?)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Because the Terms and Conditions that I agreed to when I was granted my Disabled Adults Card requires me to do so.

And it is not difficult for me to do so.

End of conversation.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I quite agree. There is a similar thread running in parallel with this about being asked to show staff ID cards to back up a priv ticket at barrier lines. Priv/Travel cards are valuable and cost you for a replacement if your pocket is picked, so why have them where they can be taken if you are only needing to show a ticket (that had to have the entitlement card shown when it was purchased?)

I buy my tickets either over the 'net or at a local office.
With the former I cannot let them see it, at the latter i have never been asked.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Because the Terms and Conditions that I agreed to when I was granted my Disabled Adults Card requires me to do so.

And it is not difficult for me to do so.

End of conversation.

But here's the thing, they don't require you to if the RPIs only ask for tickets.

I buy my tickets either over the 'net or at a local office.
With the former I cannot let them see it, at the latter i have never been asked.

Now what the T&Cs do state is that you must show your Railcard when buying a Railcard-discounted ticket there.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
But here's the thing, they don't require you to if the RPIs only ask for tickets.
Really?

Now what the T&Cs do state is that you must show your Railcard when buying a Railcard-discounted ticket there.
I must look honest then!
Perhaps I had better tell ATW/Virgin/RedSpottedHanky/GWR they'd better up-date their electronic system to ask me to send a scan?

roversfan2001

Established Member
Really?

I must look honest then!
Perhaps I had better tell ATW/Virgin/RedSpottedHanky/GWR they'd better up-date their electronic system to ask me to send a scan?
'there' meant a ticket office, that was pretty clear. Obviously that rule can't apply when purchasing online.

TUC

Established Member
If I ask for all tickets and railcards as I enter the coach and then I get half way down and someone still hasn't got theirs out and starts maing a fuss, then I am sorry but everyone else in the carriage can do it so why nokt them? One of my pet peeves.

Although if a passenger has headphones in, they wouldn't necessarily hear your announcement.

takno

Established Member
Although if a passenger has headphones in, they wouldn't necessarily hear your announcement.
Or they may be a bit deaf. I can hear perfectly well if people are nearby, but if you make an announcement behind me from halfway down a carriage you might as well have gone and shouted it out the window.

sheff1

Established Member

With the new digital railcards they will more often than not be separate as most tickets are not in digital format at present. Depending what the person is doing on their device when you ask for the railcard it could take some time to display it. Looks like you will wasting more and more people's time then.

trainophile

Established Member
As the OP of this thread, can I clarify that I don't have an issue with showing my railcard, my point was just that in the last nine years since I started using trains a lot (probably average a dozen times a month), I have NEVER been asked to show it at a gateline before. Coupled with the insistence that he wanted to see our 16-25 railcards (and no, there couldn't be any confusion!), it struck me as quite a strange request.

A lot of these replies relate to showing a railcard on the train, whether asked for it or not, which is a different situation altogether, and of course most people would not have any problem with this.

Elecman

Established Member
AFAIK no railcard discounted ticket is valid unless presented with the relevant railcard

Harbouring

AFAIK no railcard discounted ticket is valid unless presented with the relevant railcard

Then it's up to TOCs to enforce this point if they wish. The fact that generally a railcard check at a gate line is rare suggests that they don't want to/don't have enough staff to do so or another reason.

The main point is that a request, if it is made, should be made with respect and not in the way OP has described. That kind of request would more likely be treated in kind

trainophile

Established Member
I believe some gatelines are configured to reject tickets that are railcard discounted, which is fair enough except that no-one ever asks for the railcard upon being presented with said ticket, they just open the barriers manually and wave you through.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I believe some gatelines are configured to reject tickets that are railcard discounted, which is fair enough except that no-one ever asks for the railcard upon being presented with said ticket, they just open the barriers manually and wave you through.

That certainly seems to happen at New St, and I have been asked to see my Disabled card there.
I have also been asked for it on the gateline at Euston.

Clip

Established Member
All that quote says is that you must show the Photocard when asked to show your Railcard, not your Railcard when asked to show your ticket(s)...
Well if you had taken the time to read the post that inhad quoted and then corrected then you may have had a better grasp of what i was on about

talltim

Established Member
I have and I don't see that Roversfan is wrong. Your quote was about a different aspect of railcards entirely

Status
Not open for further replies.