• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard - Network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

please can someone help me out with this one?

Network card says can't be used before 10am but you can buy anytime tickets (so it says on website) if bought after 10am day befre can the tickets be used before 10am following day?

How does it work with anytime tickets if can't be used before 10am?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
With the exception of a small number of stations, it is true that the railcard cannot be used at all before 10am on a weekday. The reason anytime tickets can still be purchased is because there're some journeys where off-peak tickets are not valid for use in the evening peak period (whereas the railcard is valid at that time), meaning that the cheapest ticket for leaving after 10am but returning in the evening can still be an anytime ticket.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The railway day ends at 0429 so a NetworknRailcard is valid on services in the early hours of the following morning with tickets dated the previous day.

It's not a way around morning peak restrictions, unfortunately. If this is what you had in mind let us have details of your journey and we may be able to assist with a cheaper ticket combination.

When it was first launched by Network Southeast the Network Railcard could only be used to discounts Off Peak tickets. When First Capital Connect introduced evening peak restrictions a number of people asked for a discount to be allowed on Anytime tickets so that the railcard could still be of use in the evening peak. Eventually this was allowed but it took a year or so to be implemented IIRC.

Cundy66

The railway day ends at 0429 so a NetworknRailcard is valid on services in the early hours of the following morning with tickets dated the previous day.

It's not a way around morning peak restrictions, unfortunately. If this is what you had in mind let us have details of your journey and we may be able to assist with a cheaper ticket combination.

When it was first launched by Network Southeast the Network Railcard could only be used to discounts Off Peak tickets. When First Capital Connect introduced evening peak restrictions a number of people asked for a discount to be allowed on Anytime tickets so that the railcard could still be of use in the evening peak. Eventually this was allowed but it took a year or so to be implemented IIRC.

Thanks for responses, I usually like to have a day in London spotting, my 16-25 railcard expires tomorrow and no longer eligible for that railcard. I wouldn't mind catching the last early morning train in order to have a full day albeit tiring.

If I was travelling Bedford to London with an update off peak travel card when would I be allowed to travel and what time can I start using underground?

Romilly

Established Member
If you buy a 1-day offpeak Bedford-London Zones 1-6 travelcard at £18.15 after a Network Railcard discount, it's valid on the 1010 from Bedford to London, and can then be used throughout Zones 1 to 6 until you catch the 0220 back to Bedford arriving 0335.

If you didn't bother with the Network Railcard discount, the price would be £27.50 and you could travel on the 0910 or 0924 or any later morning train (but not the 0917) from Bedford to London.

For the record, the 0220 is the last train that would get you back to Bedford before your ticket expires at 0429. [If you caught the 0320 back, your ticket would only be valid as far as Flitwick - not sure this is correct: NRE suggests you have to depart before 0230.]

Last edited:

Cundy66

So going before 0429 to London would the off peak travel card be valid before 10am in London or not?

Thanks for reply

Romilly

Established Member
The £27.50 offpeak day travelcard takes restriction LS, so it is valid on outward trains that depart between 0000 and 0429, or at 0910 or 0924 or anytime after that.

NRE says the following about travelcards purchased outside the London travel zones area:

Off-Peak Day Travelcards are valid for travel from whenever Off-Peak fares become available from your station – check our Journey Planner to see whether an Off-Peak fare is available when you wish to travel. Valid up to the early hours of the following day provided the train you are using beyond the London Fare Zones area departs no later than 02:30. If you are already on a train by 02:30 you may continue your journey provided no further change of trains is made. Within the London Fare Zones area you may use the Travelcard until 04:29. Railcard holders may purchase certain Off-Peak Day Travelcards at a discount.

Generally, offpeak travelcards are valid within the zones from 0930 onwards.

I did look at 5.9.1 in the Forum's fares & ticketing guide, but I am not sure that it answers your question about use within the zones before 0930.

Last edited:

Cundy66

So may work out cheaper to go off peak with a rail ticket and just use oyster for the rest of journey and then the off peak ticket return to Bedford

Status
Not open for further replies.