• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard Not Arrived but has been dispatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
My current Senior Railcard expires on 18th October and I applied in good time to renew it around the end of September.

It has not yet arrived although I had notification it has been despatched.

Imagine my shock when looking at the procedure for non-delivery is applying for a replacement for the princely sum of £10 when I have never received it and the old one has not even expired yet.

Have submitted a complaint so will await the outcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
My current Senior Railcard expires on 18th October and I applied in good time to renew it around the end of September.

It has not yet arrived although I had notification it has been despatched.

Imagine my shock when looking at the procedure for non-delivery is applying for a replacement for the princely sum of £10 when I have never received it and the old one has not even expired yet.
(....)
Are you quite sure about the £10? From https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/my-railcard-has-not-arrived-in-the-post-what-can-i-do/

My Railcard has not arrived in the post. What can I do?​

You will need to wait 5 working days, then go to ‘Manage my Railcard’ on the Senior Railcard website homepage to log in to your account and apply for a replacement. Once logged in, click on ‘Details’ under your active Senior Railcard, then click on ‘Replace Railcard (Lost or stolen)’. Select ‘lost’, then click continue and follow the instructions on the screen. Please check that your address is correct before you order.

You will be sent a free replacement provided you do this within 30 days of your application date. If 30 days has passed from your date of purchase you can still request a replacement card, but you will have to pay a £10 replacement fee.

You will not be able to travel on discounted tickets until you have your Railcard.
(My italics)

Unless 'around the end of September' was before something like 11 September, I think you should be able to get a free reissue.

Butts

Veteran Member

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Ordered it on 22nd September, e-mail saying it was despatched on 24th September but it hasn't turned up.
So as you're within 30 days of your application date, you should (per what I have quoted) get the replacement for free - with no need to pay £10.

Butts

Veteran Member
So as you're within 30 days of your application date, you should (per what I have quoted) get the replacement for free - with no need to pay £10.

It says something about you only have five working days and when I attempted to apply for a replacement the £10 fee appeared at the end of the process. Unless they are missing it up with my Two Together Railcard which was renewed recently and arrived okay.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
It says something about you only have five working days and when I attempted to apply for a replacement the £10 fee appeared at the end of the process. Unless they are missing it up with my Two Together Railcard which was renewed recently and arrived okay.
Ah. I rather misunderstood what you meant.

On rereading the instructions that I have quoted, is there an error in the instructions, possibly covering that the system doesn't expect you to renew before the old card has expired? I'm thinking of the line
Once logged in, click on ‘Details’ under your active Senior Railcard, then click on ‘Replace Railcard (Lost or stolen)’. Select ‘lost'

If you have clicked on the line for your old Railcard (due to expire 18 October) then the system may be trying to reissue that card - which on what I originally quoted, I would expect to incur a charge.

If there is a separate 'details' box for your new Railcard (which will also be 'active' as in you could use it if you had it) then maybe click on that?

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah. I rather misunderstood what you meant.

On rereading the instructions that I have quoted, is there an error in the instructions, possibly covering that the system doesn't expect you to renew before the old card has expired? I'm thinking of the line

If you have clicked on the line for your old Railcard (due to expire 18 October) then the system may be trying to reissue that card - which on what I originally quoted, I would expect to incur a charge.

If there is a separate 'details' box for your new Railcard (which will also be 'active' as in you could use it if you had it) then maybe click on that?

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it and report back.

island

Veteran Member
Might it just be easiest to give them a ring on 0345 3000 250? Lines are open 0700-2200 7 days a week.

Class800

Established Member
They seem to be up to no good at the moment - dispatched mine twice and double charged me, and taking a long time to reply to sort it out

Butts

Veteran Member
Might it just be easiest to give them a ring on 0345 3000 250? Lines are open 0700-2200 7 days a week.

Got back from a couple of days in Birmingham to find it waiting for me - date on letter with card 22nd September :?:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Does the letter had a date stamp on the outside?
Not always a help. If they frank the mail themselves they date it. Whilst, in theory, Royal Mail should reject it if it has the wrong date on it, in reality it's unheard of unless the date is massively out.

HSP 2

Not always a help. If they frank the mail themselves they date it. Whilst, in theory, Royal Mail should reject it if it has the wrong date on it, in reality it's unheard of unless the date is massively out.

That's not quit true if the franked mail is out by a day Royal Mail can and do send it back to the poster (if above about 20 items) if less Royal Mail will over frank the letters in black.

Status
Not open for further replies.