• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard validity requirement for return tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
No, unless another Railcard of the same type is purchased to cover it.

So hypothetically, if I bought an open return on a Gold Card at Christmas, and then my return was delayed a week or so into New Year, and then I bought a Network Railcard instead when my Gold Card expires on the 31st Dec (and the journey was in the area and within the timeframe of both cards), the ticket would still not be valid even though the discount is the same?

I am quite specific in this hypothetical scenario as can see this sort of thing happening to me given all the uncertainty of Christmas this year, so it would be good to know.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So hypothetically, if I bought an open return on a Gold Card at Christmas, and then my return was delayed a week or so into New Year, and then I bought a Network Railcard instead when my Gold Card expires on the 31st Dec (and the journey was in the area and within the timeframe of both cards), the ticket would still not be valid even though the discount is the same?

Correct. You might find a guard lets you off, but it isn't valid.

smsm1

I've once a few years ago accidentally chosen the wrong railcard type which has the same discount. Station staff spotted it when printing off the tickets and excess fared at zero cost to the correct railcard so that there wouldn't be problems later on.

Argyle 1980

Back in July on the last day of use before my railcard was about to expire, mid journey when I opened the app up, it suddenly showed as expired.
Thankfully the train manager was sensible enough to believe the email I showed him showing him when it was purchased which proved it was only in it's 364th full day.
Don't know if this is a technical glitch anyone else has experienced.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Back in July on the last day of use before my railcard was about to expire, mid journey when I opened the app up, it suddenly showed as expired.
Thankfully the train manager was sensible enough to believe the email I showed him showing him when it was purchased which proved it was only in it's 364th full day.
Don't know if this is a technical glitch anyone else has experienced.
There’s a current thread about 25-30 railcards expiring a day early:

Status
Not open for further replies.