• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards and Covid19

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Has there been any news on whether Railcards’ validity might be extended in light of the near impossibility of using them at present?

Apologies if I have missed it elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

With COVID-19 the government are going to have to take a big hit as it attempts to shield businesses and individuals from the worst effects, businesses are going to take hits, and individuals are going to take hits. Personally I think losing a period of validity on a £30 or £70 railcard, is one of those things that as individuals we are going to have to take the hit on, as its not the biggest of deals.

Now, if/when this is all over, could TOCs have promotional fares including (perhaps larger than normal) discounts for railcard holders? Could RDG have promotional discounts on buying/renewing railcards? Absolutely.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I don't interpret island's question as a criticism or a suggestion that this is a serious issue.

My initial thought on reading it was that offering everyone a 50% renewal discount would be an excellent solution. It would also bring in lot of Railcard revenue all in one go, when it is needed the most. It would be a useful marketing tool to promote the railway after the crisis. Whether or not people who have lost their entitlement between now and then, for any reason, are allowed a 12 month extension period on a further railcard though is another question.

theironroad

Established Member
Has there been any news on whether Railcards’ validity might be extended in light of the near impossibility of using them at present?

Apologies if I have missed it elsewhere.

I've not seen anything, but I'd like to think the industry would extend them by X months when this is all over.

However, season ticket holders are not being allowed to pause or have extra time added to their annual or other tickets and are required to get under a refund under the normal process if they want to surrender it as they are no longer travelling, so whether that might throw a spanner in the works for Railcard extensions is a consideration.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think Seasons (which can be refunded) are comparable with Railcards (which can't be)

I agree it would be a very pragmatic solution to offer a 50 per cent discount on renewals.

theironroad

Established Member
I don't think Seasons (which can be refunded) are comparable with Railcards (which can't be)

I agree it would be a very pragmatic solution to offer a 50 per cent discount on renewals.

While it will probably be all after the event, a lot of swr ( and other) season ticket holders who have been waiting weeks for refunds which they didn't really want to have to apply for, as they wanted their season tickets paused or time added on when the government restrictions are lifted may well differ and will rightly be very peeved if say Railcard validities were to be extended by 3, 6 or X months without any bother.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

And much better than an extension, as an extension is worthless to any age-bounded Railcard holder who wishes to hold one for the maximum time (unless the extension comes in whole years). I have not forgiven that from last time. Blustering that you're offering me something then not doing is worse than not offering it at all.

NeilWatson

I renewed my Disabled railcard for three years in early March - effective 30th March! Bad timing but not a big deal in the circumstances

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And much better than an extension, as an extension is worthless to any age-bounded Railcard holder who wishes to hold one for the maximum time (unless the extension comes in whole years). I have not forgiven that from last time. Blustering that you're offering me something then not doing is worse than not offering it at all.

It's not about being fair.

It's about kick starting leisure travel and revenue again.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not about being fair.

It's about kick starting leisure travel and revenue again.

Which does need to avoid annoying your existing regulars so they do come back. Hence a discount rather than an extension being preferable.

This whole thing is a "life reset button" for many people who will change lots of things. Changing from rail to car travel isn't one thing that they want to take place.

trainophile

Established Member
If the rail operators are struggling to recover when the travel restriction is eventually relaxed, and we are going into summer, it might not be the best idea to encourage travel immediately as it might be crowded enough with the newly escaped!

Crossover

Established Member
I don't interpret island's question as a criticism or a suggestion that this is a serious issue.

My initial thought on reading it was that offering everyone a 50% renewal discount would be an excellent solution. It would also bring in lot of Railcard revenue all in one go, when it is needed the most. It would be a useful marketing tool to promote the railway after the crisis. Whether or not people who have lost their entitlement between now and then, for any reason, are allowed a 12 month extension period on a further railcard though is another question.

Or even just some extention, whether a whole year or not. I renewed mine just before I hit the point of no longer being entitled to purchase the (age restricted) railcard. Really I have just hedged my bets a bit in the hope that I can use it later in the year - as long as I can, I would expect to get some value out of it, if not as much as I may have otherwise, but an extention or similar would certainly be welcome (and may encourage rail use that I may have otherwise not taken)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Or even just some extention, whether a whole year or not. I renewed mine just before I hit the point of no longer being entitled to purchase the (age restricted) railcard. Really I have just hedged my bets a bit in the hope that I can use it later in the year - as long as I can, I would expect to get some value out of it, if not as much as I may have otherwise, but an extention or similar would certainly be welcome (and may encourage rail use that I may have otherwise not taken)

As I've pointed out, an extension of anything other than a full year is a whack in the proverbials for a loyal 16-25 or 26-30 user who wishes to hold a Railcard for the full period they are entitled to do so. Therefore I'd be more in support of offering a discount on purchase for the next 12 months, £20 instead of £30 (they're still £30, right?) is what I'd do.

Crossover

Established Member
As I've pointed out, an extension of anything other than a full year is a whack in the proverbials for a loyal 16-25 or 26-30 user who wishes to hold a Railcard for the full period they are entitled to do so. Therefore I'd be more in support of offering a discount on purchase for the next 12 months, £20 instead of £30 (they're still £30, right?) is what I'd do.

Which is fine, but I am one of those "loyal users" who will not be eligible for another, so a discounted year will only work if they extend the eligibility restrictions too

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Which is fine, but I am one of those "loyal users" who will not be eligible for another, so a discounted year will only work if they extend the eligibility restrictions too

I bet that only affects a minority of such Railcard holders anyway...who are probably going to travel by train regardless anyway. Not much of a risk, far outweighed by the revenue kickstart it would bring.

Crossover

Established Member
I bet that only affects a minority of such Railcard holders anyway...who are probably going to travel by train regardless anyway. Not much of a risk, far outweighed by the revenue kickstart it would bring.

Quite possibly. Personally, I'm not overly concerned. Some offer one way or another would be appreciated, but isn't expected

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
who are probably going to travel by train regardless anyway
This is literally never a safe assumption. Most people in this country don't travel by train. Few people who have realistic choices opt for a train over the alternative, whether it is driving themselves in a car or flying. Of course, some people do, because they particularly want to, or because there's no reasonable alternative. But that doesn't cone around often.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite possibly. Personally, I'm not overly concerned. Some offer one way or another would be appreciated, but isn't expected

If anything I'd prefer nothing than a short extension which provides no advantage to many. The thing I really objected to (in the 2000s) was them shouting about giving us something when in fact they were doing nothing of the sort.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
English Heritage are offering 15 months for the price of 12 months on membership renewals, I believe.

Perhaps something similar could be offered on railcards. :lol:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This is literally never a safe assumption. Most people in this country don't travel by train. Few people who have realistic choices opt for a train over the alternative, whether it is driving themselves in a car or flying. Of course, some people do, because they particularly want to, or because there's no reasonable alternative. But that doesn't cone around often.

So should be a good opportunity for a shop window offer to the 90% or so of non-regular users, not the 10% that already do (of of which "hardcore" Railcard holders will be a tiny fraction).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My view is that it's highly unlikely that the validity of railcards will be extended. What could happen, if the rail industry were that way inclined (based on post Hatfield events in 2000, iirc) is that railcards purchased for a 12 month period after the lockdown is lifted are valid for 15 months rather than 12.

paul1609

Established Member
The extra club card points you've gained from panic buying at Tesco will more than cover the loss of railcard validity anyway ;)

Veteran Member
My view is that it's highly unlikely that the validity of railcards will be extended. What could happen, if the rail industry were that way inclined (based on post Hatfield events in 2000, iirc) is that railcards purchased for a 12 month period after the lockdown is lifted are valid for 15 months rather than 12.
Some people will still be using railcards for essential journeys of course. But your suggestion makes sense.

HSP 2

What if you've got a three year family and friends railcard how do you think any extension would work on that if the child is due to turn 16 just as the railcard expirers.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So should be a good opportunity for a shop window offer to the 90% or so of non-regular users, not the 10% that already do (of of which "hardcore" Railcard holders will be a tiny fraction).
Sorry guys but there’s a railcard thread here before we head off down that route:

Status
Not open for further replies.