• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards on rangers and rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian13

Quick question: are rangers and rovers still subject to the minimum fare before 10am when purchased with a railcard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

Is there a particular rover or ranger you are thinking of? I am trying to find a ranger which (a) allows railcard discounts and then (b) has a discounted price of under £12...

Edit: The 'Cumbrian Coast Day Ranger', for example, costs £18. National Rail Enquiries makes no mention of the restrictions imposed on Senior, 16-25 or Disabled Persons railcards, but does say that
In addition Family & Friends Railcard discounts 34% adult and 81% child are permitted subject to the conditions of the Railcard being met.

This isn't much help in the case of the minimum fare of £12, so I looked at the Terms & Conditions for the 16-25 railcard:

However, for all journeys made at or before 10 am Monday to Friday a minimum fare applies. (The exceptions are when you travel at weekends, on Public Holidays, or during July and August).

Even though you are using a rover or ranger, you are still making a journey. I believe that the restrictions do still apply.

Last edited:

ian13

Is there a particular rover or ranger you are thinking of? I am trying to find a ranger which (a) allows railcard discounts and then (b) has a discounted price of under £12...

The Heart of Wessex Day Ranger comes to mind.

district

See my post above, but the discounted price for that fare would be £10.50 (if my Avantix discount calculator has worked that out correctly).

lemonic

I believe that the minimum fare does not apply for rovers and rangers, for example Anglia Plus. The National Rail Enquiries website does not apply a minimum fare to this before 10am e.g. search Ipswich-Norwich 9:08 departure on a weekday with a 16-25 Railcard and this is the suggested ticket. If the minimum fare does not apply to one ranger/rover then I would extrapolate that to suggest this is the case for all rangers/rovers.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is nothing in the Manual to suggest that the minimum fare is applicable to the Heart of Wessex Day Ranger.

district

I am on the phone to NRE now - will update when I get off the phone.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NRE were no help, and Chris Scoggins (Chief Exec of NRE) isn't at his desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.