• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Rails of Hope" - free model railway items for disabled people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Barrie Davis has published, on his YouTube channel, a few videos referring to "Rails of Hope" - a scheme run by himself, and I believe maybe a couple of others, to provide free model railway items for disabled people. Here are the videos he's published so far:

(There a couple of others, but these give a good enough overview of the subject)

Barrie acknowledges in his videos that the whole thing is subject to abuse by people pretending to be disabled, and then getting free stuff. He certainly seems to have a fair bit of stock waiting to be asked for, which is nice to see.
Just thought I'd share this to see if others have any views on this, or if they wish to donate any models - the instructions for which can be found in the videos linked above.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Barrie Davis has made some more videos about his Rails of Hope project:
Sorry for there being so many videos - Barrie splits his videos into parts.

Again, there's a range of models available for those who are eligible and who ask. In his most recent two videos - "Rails of Hope New Stock Part 1 A" and "Rails of Hope New Stock Part 2 A" - the following items are available: a Hornby Class 86 (named Phoenix) and a Hornby Class 91, a pair of new and boxed wagons, a Triang 'Princess', an early-2000s Hornby West Country (21C123 Blackmoor Vale), Hornby Silver Seal Class 47 (R863 it looks like), and a pair of Hornby Class 43 power cars (the Hornby Railways BR Blue/Grey ones, one motor car and one dummy).

-Peter

========

EDIT (9.7.2021):
Barrie's just uploaded a new video related to his Rails of Hope scheme. He's down to his last few bits of stock and after they're gone, it's all gone and he'll be waiting for people to send more stuff in.

-Peter

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Barrie uploaded a video this morning titled simply "Goodbye". He describes how the death of his dog, whom he felt very supported by, has caused him to lose his interest in, and enthusiasm for, not only his YouTube videos, but also his model railway as a whole. He says at the end of the video that after he finishes filming it, he'll lock the shed where his layout is situated and not return to it.
Here's the link:

He describes how he really appreciates the donations for his "Rails of Hope" scheme from his viewers, but doesn't mention if the final items he had have gone, or what's going to happen to them.

-Peter

EDIT: Looking through the comments under the above video, I noticed this:
Philip Thompson said:
So so sorry Barrie. The fact that you are so effected by his going proves you're a good man if proof were ever needed. Thank you for giving him a good life. Please carry on with your videos when you feel up to it. I and many others would miss your unique style, fun and knowledge. You have more friends out here than you can ever ever imagine. Take care young man.....
This message is indicative of the kind messages Barrie's received. He's only responded to a couple - understandably - and this is one of them: his response is:
Barrie Davis Model Railways said:
I just need a little time.

Without wanting to speculate, hopefully this means he might return to making his videos in the future. I really hope he does as they're brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.