• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

railsail to Douglas, IOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywy1234

I am planning a trip from Oxford to Douglas, IOM next weekend.
I am wondering if we can take the Liverpool to Douglas ferry instead of from Heysham. I think we can, but I don't know why, the liverpool ferry was not on the NRE or Raileasy journey planner.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I have never found it particularly easy to select the Liverpool ferry on Fastis, but I think that could be just a timing issue (journey/connection times). See if you local ticket office (or the telesales dept. of your chosen TOC) can find the journey plan, or call the ferry company and see if they can do it.

34D

Established Member
It can certainly be done. Booking office would be the best bet.

I believe you have to make your own way in Liverpool.

ywy1234

Is the reservation compulsory for the ferry to IOM ? If I book the ticket online by choosing a Heysham itinerary and try to use that ticket to check in at Liverpool, what will happen to me ?

ywy1234

I even tried to start from local stations around Liverpool, but still NRE only gives Heysham itineraries :(

Any thought?

Eire Sprinter

There was a detailed one-page article in Today's Railways UK issue 92 about Sail and Rail to the Isle of Man. It recommends to only buy Sail and Rail tickets when the IOMSPC's information line is open and that it is worth taking this number along to the ticket office when booking (08722 992992). In this way if difficulties are encountered with the booking, the IOMSPC can be contacted to double-check availability. The rail booking system could in fact show the ferry as full even though there's still availability.

A particular ferry must be chosen and staff member at rail booking office should issue a coupon or write down the reference number on a piece of paper.

I travelled from Liverpool to the Island around May/June a few years ago and the sailing was very busy, would suggest arriving early for check-in if possible.

The IOMSPC website has the following info:
http://www.steam-packet.com/SailandRail

Info on local travel to Liverpool Pier Head:
http://www.travelwatch-isleofman.org/uploads/5/6/8/7/5687674/passinfo_lpool_0413.pdf

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
Is the reservation compulsory for the ferry to IOM ? If I book the ticket online by choosing a Heysham itinerary and try to use that ticket to check in at Liverpool, what will happen to me ?

I'd expect you'd be turned away! The boat could well be full.

Just go to a booking office, and get them to do you ferry reservations for Liverpool, if that's what you need.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Given that the TT Races are being held over the next fortnight, I'd expect the ferries to be very, very busy. Some may well be fully booked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.