• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtours and Face Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
As for the core of my argument, thank you for acknowledging the distinction I've been trying to draw out about the role of law, and especially that firms can go beyond the minimum standards in the law. The wisdom of doing so is of course a different debate.
As I said way back in Post #5
I'd say the railtour operator can enforce any rules they like provided they are at least as stringent as the law requires and don't discriminate on the basis of a protected characteristic under equality legislation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
Based on my limited travel to London, I suspect the TfL mask mandate has less to do with continued reduced travel than wider social impacts.
What social impacts are you referring to?

35B

Established Member
What social impacts are you referring to?
I guess I particularly had commuting traffic in mind - I have still yet to break step between mainline barrier at KGX and Circle Line platform when alighting from 1Y03.

greyman42

Established Member
I guess I particularly had commuting traffic in mind - I have still yet to break step between mainline barrier at KGX and Circle Line platform when alighting from 1Y03.
So do you think that if everyone using the Underground wore a mask then the commuters would return in large numbers?

35B

Established Member
So do you think that if everyone using the Underground wore a mask then the commuters would return in large numbers?
I assume no such thing - much as you and the Mayor would like to believe otherwise, I very much doubt that mask policy makes anything more than a marginal difference to Tube loadings - of those I know, I can think of one person who might be influenced by mask policy as to whether they travel on public transport or not.

The landlord at my employer's office in central London is limiting lifts to a capacity of 2 (from memory, the nominal capacity is 12). When I was last in, there were no queues because of that. Pre-Covid, with those 5 lifts full, you could still queue for 5 minutes at busy times. It's lack of commuters which is holding passenger volumes down on the Underground, not whether or not masks are a condition of travel.

greyman42

Established Member
I assume no such thing - much as you and the Mayor would like to believe otherwise, I very much doubt that mask policy makes anything more than a marginal difference to Tube loadings - of those I know, I can think of one person who might be influenced by mask policy as to whether they travel on public transport or not.
Just to be clear, the Mayor's view and my view are polar opposites.

david1212

Established Member
Regardless of the law and the guidelines of the railtour operators and promoters as a single passenger I did / do not want any awkwardness with the other passengers I would be seated with if any chose to wear masks while seated and expected all others also to do so.

Hence I have not considered any railtours this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.