• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtours - half capacity during Covid19 pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codek

Hi,

If a rail tour has to operate at half capacity due to social distancing does that work? Or does it mean it must be cancelled?

I've read rumours that they have to be 95% full to break even - which seems unlikely?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If public money gets sent to the railtour companies to allow them to run I predict that will cause a lot of fuss, after all 3 of the main railtour stock providers are millionaires, they can cope better than most atm, and after all railtours dont really provide a useful method of transport just peeps out for a jolly, and we still cant go to the pub/restaurant, I can see it'll be a while yet before we see a tour of any kind

Iskra

Established Member
If public money gets sent to the railtour companies to allow them to run I predict that will cause a lot of fuss, after all 3 of the main railtour stock providers are millionaires, they can cope better than most atm, and after all railtours dont really provide a useful method of transport just peeps out for a jolly, and we still cant go to the pub/restaurant, I can see it'll be a while yet before we see a tour of any kind

Under what circumstances would this happen?

Of course, they already pay reduced track access charges I believe, so are technically subsidised that way, with zero fuss caused.

Romsey

Hi,

If a rail tour has to operate at half capacity due to social distancing does that work? Or does it mean it must be cancelled?

I've read rumours that they have to be 95% full to break even - which seems unlikely?

An often repeated comment among planners of railtours and charter trains is "the profit is in the last coach".
Simplistic, but railtour operators have apart from LSL and WCRC have to buy in stock, loco hire fees, train crew, catering and catering/waiting staff, track access. LSL and WCRC still have to cover all these costs but they are within their own accounts and control.

From what has appeared in Steam Railway, LSL are adding screens between each seating bay in their open stock. The idea is four out of six seats used on FO stock.

Under what circumstances would this happen?

Of course, they already pay reduced track access charges I believe, so are technically subsidised that way, with zero fuss caused.

Well Pippa Dunn quoted that in the last episode of beano illustrated, I know he talks pap a lot of the time but that I thought was particularly inept

Ashley Hill

Established Member
From what has appeared in Steam Railway, LSL are adding screens between each seating bay in their open stock. The idea is four out of six seats used on FO stock.
Would this sort of thing and other restrictions,like no buffet,be reflected in the ticket price?

6Gman

Established Member
Would this sort of thing and other restrictions,like no buffet,be reflected in the ticket price?

Yes.

It'll be increased. ;)

Seriously, it's going to be a long time before anyone can think of running railtours.

codek

OK. So i was all confused because on the website the Autumn west highlander is scheduled to run. And i couldn't imagine how that could work - so I spoke to them - it seems this is just a glitch in the website! It shouldn't be listed.

Nevertheless there's plenty of capacity on the rails at the moment :)

Iskra

Established Member
Yes.

It'll be increased. ;)

Seriously, it's going to be a long time before anyone can think of running railtours.

I'm really not sure about this. It's in a lot of companies interests to get back to normal as quickly as possible as many won't be able to survive on reduced profit margins. In my opinion, the economic pressure that goes with that will ensure normality returns fairly quickly. It's the same as airlines and other TOC's...

Edit; Saphos are running tours from July and Pathfinder from August.

Last edited:

Romsey

Planning a train takes a long time. Some groups are already working on tours for next year. ( And have found that due to engineering works charters from Bristol are unlikely in summer 2021.)
It can be cancelled very easily due to lack of trade or Government proclamation from an operating perspective. What takes the time is refunds or issuing credit notes....

codek

Ah well ukrailtours have just announced everything for the rest of the year is postponed to 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.