• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtours post-Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
We took the A1 Tornado Pennine tour yesterday that started at Leicester, via York, almost Newcastle to Carlisle and back over the Settle and Carlisle via Leeds. Nice trip with very many on platforms, oveebridgrs,leaning over fences and standing in fields to watch. All safely as far as I could tell.

We were delayed entering Carlisle by British India Line leaving for Settle and Carlisle with another Weat Coast train to Euston..

Before we'd got to the platform a smart Pullman set from the Saphos group drew up opposite. Seems it was a train from Crewe to and from Appleby but that returned via the WCML, avoiding Carlisle.

As we waited to enter Chesterfield from the old road another West Coast operated set went ahead on a tour that had been to Harrogate from Birmingham International.

Whatever, I don't think I've ever seen 4 railtours running in one day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
I was on the tour with British India Line, and was pleased to see Tornado just outside Carlisle.
Our tour was a bit of a mess. The ECS was late arriving from Southall due to 33207 failing and some points issues, so the decision was taken to send British India Line light engine + support coach to Carlisle, with 86259 working Euston - Carlisle throughout in an attempt to regain time (which it did). We would have been on time departing Carlisle, but for an issue with the brakes. There was a Pendolino stabled in one through platform and a TPE set in the other, with us blocking the third, so Carlisle was at a standstill until we could get going - which is why the Tornado railtour and the Saphos Pullman railtour were both held outside Carlisle.
The seating arrangements in the stock were sensible, with perspex screens between bays, and people spread out. That meant more coaches were needed - both the steam services were load 13 (including support coaches).
It wasn't a particularly sparkling run from British India Line - I think Tornado did a better job of it, judging from the videos I've seen.
With two significant steam-hauled tours over the S&C in quick succession, there were plenty of photographers out.
Not the best railtour day out, but I'm sure I'll be back for more ...

Killingworth

Established Member
I was on the tour with British India Line, and was pleased to see Tornado just outside Carlisle.
Our tour was a bit of a mess. The ECS was late arriving from Southall due to 33207 failing and some points issues, so the decision was taken to send British India Line light engine + support coach to Carlisle, with 86259 working Euston - Carlisle throughout in an attempt to regain time (which it did). We would have been on time departing Carlisle, but for an issue with the brakes. There was a Pendolino stabled in one through platform and a TPE set in the other, with us blocking the third, so Carlisle was at a standstill until we could get going - which is why the Tornado railtour and the Saphos Pullman railtour were both held outside Carlisle.
The seating arrangements in the stock were sensible, with perspex screens between bays, and people spread out. That meant more coaches were needed - both the steam services were load 13 (including support coaches).
It wasn't a particularly sparkling run from British India Line - I think Tornado did a better job of it, judging from the videos I've seen.
With two significant steam-hauled tours over the S&C in quick succession, there were plenty of photographers out.
Not the best railtour day out, but I'm sure I'll be back for more ...
From our point of view your delay worked reasonably well for us, and Saphos being late did too. It must have caused some haeadaches for control purposes, along with us being early, but it meant we saw both the other trains as we waited. Shame I was on the opposite side of our train to get any pictures.

The Saphos Pullmans were by far the smartest looking set.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm just happy we're at a point where we can do railtours again :)

Got 4 booked over the summer, might be able to squeeze some more in towards the end of the year.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Are bays of 4 allowed yet? If not, will they be after 21st June?

Is that when all seats can be sold again?

Killingworth

Established Member

Table of 4, yes, but not an opposite table of 4, maybe a single window seat opposite in standard. In first a table of 4 with nobody opposite, or 2 at windows on either side of train.

Different operators may interpret this slightly differently depending upon coaches used.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Not yet known when all seats can be sold - it depends on the outcome of the Government’s review of Social Distancing, which it was announced would be delayed by two weeks today. It could still be 21 June.

Clearly a group can sit together as a four - the difficulty is sitting unassociated travellers together.

COVID-19: Boris Johnson's review of social distancing rules set to be delayed by Indian variant

The PM had previously promised to give details by the end of this month - but Number 10 says data on the variant is now needed.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good to hear that Railtours are happening again. ( I have been at Carlisle when there have been a couple on steam and or diesel railtours around the same time, I was also on Putney Railway Stations when 2 steamers went through within 20 minutes, one in each direction.)

Killingworth

Established Member
Wasn't every week, but happened fairly often in the summer of 2018 & 2019. 4 Tours involving steam on one day was fairly rare, but has happened.
Running 4 in a day nationwide may happen quite often, but it was actually seeing 4 in a day with our own eyes that surprised us, 2 steam, 2 47 hauled.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Running 4 in a day nationwide may happen quite often, but it was actually seeing 4 in a day with our own eyes that surprised us, 2 steam, 2 47 hauled.
Yeah, seeing 4 in a day will be very rare, especially if you're on the train. It was hard enough to find space for 1 tour, let alone 4!

I've known 3 in quick succession at Carlisle, but only 2 in the station at any one time. York I think I've only ever had 2 at once there, as there's limited space in the sidings to layover.

There was one day in May 2019 with a Preston-Cardiff, West Mids-Blackpool North, Euston-Carlisle and Man Vic-Carlisle, all steam hauled. If you'd timed it right, the LSL preston-Cardiff and DB west Mids-Blackpool North had engine changes pretty much back to back in Crewe Station, then you could have hopped up to Carlisle to see the 2 West Coast Steamers. I think it was Braunton, Tornado, A jubilee and 2x Black Fives on that day. There's videos on youtube.

Dave S 56F

Yes I was on the pennine explorer and saw the saphos class 57 hauled tour and we was held at Durran hill for about 20 mins for 35018 on the C.M.E. And also I'm doing a Scarborough flyer tour from Man vic via the hope valley on the 5 of June but on the return run from scarborough the steam loco comes off at south Milford gds loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.