• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtrack Rule Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Hello all,
Having bought a couple of these old Railtrack Rule Books (No.3 and No.9) the other day, I was wondering if anyone could clear up some things for me:
-Were these rule books intended to be kept in their original book and could be then referenced from there, or were railway workers expected to take the pages out of these smaller books and put them into a larger book?
-What was the whole "new style/personalisation" idea for? I can't seem to find a previous example of a rule book.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Do you mean the roughly A5-sized loose leaf / ring binder type?

If so, from what I remember when my employer carried out railway civil engineering work fifteen or twenty years ago, we were issued with a personal copy when we did PTS (track safety) training, but the binder only contained those sections relevant to the type of work we were expecting to do.

I've just had a look to see if I still have mine, but it seems to have gone in an office clear-out sometime between then and now.

Peter C

Established Member
Do you mean the roughly A5-sized loose leaf / ring binder type?

If so, from what I remember when my employer carried out railway civil engineering work fifteen or twenty years ago, we were issued with a personal copy when we did PTS (track safety) training, but the binder only contained those sections relevant to the type of work we were expecting to do.

I've just had a look to see if I still have mine, but it seems to have gone in an office clear-out sometime between then and now.
Yes - those are the ones I meant. The two I have both cover trackside safety and the topics listed on the cover.

-Peter

DelW

Established Member
My copy was certainly kept in the office and used for reference rather than being carried around with me. Though in the event I did very little actual track-side work as the PTS medical discovered that i had a degree of colour blindness which I'd never been aware of. I did work on some bridge and station reconstructions, but always in areas segregated from train movements.

Peter C

Established Member
My copy was certainly kept in the office and used for reference rather than being carried around with me. Though in the event I did very little actual track-side work as the PTS medical discovered that i had a degree of colour blindness which I'd never been aware of. I did work on some bridge and station reconstructions, but always in areas segregated from train movements.
OK. Interesting. My Rule Books have quite a large section about Lineside Safety; I wonder if all of them had this section and it was put in there to ensure that everyone, no matter their role on the railway, knew how to be safe? I think both things cover everything from Lineside areas (cess, four foot, six foot, ten foot, etc.) to the manual control of automatic points and flagging an automatic signal!

-Peter

DelW

Established Member
I suspect you're right, that there was a 'core' section including safety which was common to all, with add-ons depending on role and possibly geography - though having said that, I think my copy included working around AC OHLE despite our working exclusively in 3rd rail DC territory (and my having done my PTS at Waterloo).

It's just possible that my copy has ended up in a box of obsolete work-related 'stuff' at home, so if I can find it I'll see what it did cover.

Peter C

Established Member
I suspect you're right, that there was a 'core' section including safety which was common to all, with add-ons depending on role and possibly geography - though having said that, I think my copy included working around AC OHLE despite our working exclusively in 3rd rail DC territory (and my having done my PTS at Waterloo).

It's just possible that my copy has ended up in a box of obsolete work-related 'stuff' at home, so if I can find it I'll see what it did cover.
Interesting. It's always good to find out this sort of knowledge from someone who used these books first-hand. Good luck trying to find your copy! I've lost many a thing in different piles around the house.

-Peter

John Webb

Established Member
I have various rule books going back nearly 100 years, obtained from a variety of sources. Up until about 1972, the Rulebooks were pocket sized volumes covering just about everything, and railway staff were expected to carry a copy at all times. These books went back to an origin in the Railway Clearing House around 1876 and frequently improved upon ever since. The process continued right through the 1923 Grouping and the 1948 nationalisation. Big problem was that any major rule change required the whole book to be reprinted; expensive when the railways had 250,00 staff or thereabouts!
I don't have any rule books from the early nationalisation period, but I do have a 1972 BR Rule Book (BR87109). This is a loose-leaf PVC binder about A5 size, and clearly is the progenitor of the later Railtrack hard cover binders. Of the latter, I have "Rule Book 3" for Signallers dating from 1999 with amendments to 2002. This omits Sections G ("Duties when Working at a Passenger Station") and R ("Loading or unloading Rail Vehicles during Engineering Works").
The Railtrack books were a complete rewrite to try and use clearer language and explain the more technical terms used for those new to railway work. They also eliminated the need for a complete reprint (as did the BR loose-leaf version) - only altered sections needed to be replaced.
I also have a copy of "Regulations for Train Signalling and Signalling General Instructions" issued 2001. The circulation of this folder is not clear.

Peter C

Established Member
I have various rule books going back nearly 100 years, obtained from a variety of sources. Up until about 1972, the Rulebooks were pocket sized volumes covering just about everything, and railway staff were expected to carry a copy at all times. These books went back to an origin in the Railway Clearing House around 1876 and frequently improved upon ever since. The process continued right through the 1923 Grouping and the 1948 nationalisation. Big problem was that any major rule change required the whole book to be reprinted; expensive when the railways had 250,00 staff or thereabouts!
I don't have any rule books from the early nationalisation period, but I do have a 1972 BR Rule Book (BR87109). This is a loose-leaf PVC binder about A5 size, and clearly is the progenitor of the later Railtrack hard cover binders. Of the latter, I have "Rule Book 3" for Signallers dating from 1999 with amendments to 2002. This omits Sections G ("Duties when Working at a Passenger Station") and R ("Loading or unloading Rail Vehicles during Engineering Works").
The Railtrack books were a complete rewrite to try and use clearer language and explain the more technical terms used for those new to railway work. They also eliminated the need for a complete reprint (as did the BR loose-leaf version) - only altered sections needed to be replaced.
I also have a copy of "Regulations for Train Signalling and Signalling General Instructions" issued 2001. The circulation of this folder is not clear.
Very interesting. I'm not terribly interested in the older railway rule books, but each to their own!
Reprinting the whole book must have been very difficult.
As I said at the top of the thread, I have Rule Book 3, but the edition I have is dated February 1996. There are also a couple of small booklets informing workers of the new style of rule book. My edition doesn't include sections G and R, either, so they must have been taken out before 1996. I also found some "additions" to mine, in the form of small pieces of brown paper, either added in to the book on the ring binder, glued to the page, or stapled on! I have also found an example of Tippex.
I think my Rule Book 9 was owned by a "J Norris". I found a small sticker in it saying:
RAILTRACK Great Western
BRISTOL PRODUCTION AREA
Name: J Norris
Rule Book No: GO|RT3009|1
CONTROLLED NUMBER:16
Which I thought was quite interesting!

-Peter

John Webb

Established Member
Rule Book 9 was for "Person in Charge of Train Operations". Looking at the list of Rule Books, as there are others for Guards and Drivers, I assume that this book was possibly for those in Control Centres? And/or Station Managers, perhaps?
(My interest in Rule Books arose from becoming involved with the St Albans South signal box restoration - this box dates from 1892 and I wanted to know the rules under which the staff would have operated.)

Peter C

Established Member
Rule Book 9 was for "Person in Charge of Train Operations". Looking at the list of Rule Books, as there are others for Guards and Drivers, I assume that this book was possibly for those in Control Centres? And/or Station Managers, perhaps?
(My interest in Rule Books arose from becoming involved with the St Albans South signal box restoration - this box dates from 1892 and I wanted to know the rules under which the staff would have operated.)
Interesting - seen as I have this Rule Book, I can say that it seems that this book was definitely designed for those in Control Centres and Station Managers - they would have surely gone out onto the track at some point?
Interesting about St Albans South Signal Box - I'm just interested in these Rule Books because I like to know how the railways work / worked. I'm just nosy! :)

-Peter

Highlandspring

Established Member
-Were these rule books intended to be kept in their original book and could be then referenced from there, or were railway workers expected to take the pages out of these smaller books and put them into a larger book?
-What was the whole "new style/personalisation" idea for? I can't seem to find a previous example of a rule book.
- The pages stayed in the binder. The binder was either physically kept with you or was easily accessible when on duty. Staff were and still are assessed on their knowledge of the rules so in theory you shouldn’t need to constantly be looking at the book to carry out a task, but it needs to be available for consultation if you get stuck or need to do something obscure. This has been the case for decades and is still the same today.

- The previous book published in 1992 (BR87109, the first proper rewrite since 1972) was written in a different, more formal and verbose type of language and the peronalised rule books changed this to a more easily understandable format and to reduce the overall word count. It introduced short lists with bullet points, colour and proper diagrams. For example Section A clause 5.1.3 of the 92 books said
Employees getting in and out of passenger vehicles not in service
When getting in and out of a passenger vehicle which is not in service, an employee must ensure that the doors are left correctly closed. On a vehicle with power operated doors, he must not operate any release except those provided for use by traincrew. Internal or external emergency release handles must not be used for this purpose.
...whereas the same rule (Section A clause 11.1.5) in the Railtrack book reads
Getting in and out of passenger vehicles not in service
Make sure that when you get off a train which is not in service you: -
  • close the door(s) properly, or
  • if it is a train with power operated doors you only use a release for opening doors that traincrew are permitted to use, you must not use internal or external emergency releases for this purpose
Much of the content was also revised, moved or removed at the same time. Previously everyone was issued with the same Rule Book and it contained the rules for everyone all mixed together in broad sections. The personalised Rule Book took this the other way by attempting to give only the sections and clauses required by role and excluding rules which were deemed not to be required for certain roles. There was a master book which contained everything but it was not widely issued to front line staff.

The current GE/RT8000 series Rule Book was introduced in 2003 and instead of being divided by role is modular with rules on a particular topic grouped together in a single module. You can be issued with as many or as few modules as your job requires. There are also small handbooks which are designed to be carried in a pocket (much like the pre-1972 books) and the language has changed again to become more clear. There is a style guide explaining how to write operational instructions in the correct style as per the Rule Book and a list of words that must not be used - “shall” has become “must” for example. The current Rule Book assigns a responsibility to each clause and then uses the word “You” throughout. Recently the concept has been derailed a bit by the wholescale removal of content to be hidden away in internal company documents on the basis that it isn’t really a rule but an instruction or policy. The rule I quoted above about getting on and off trains has been removed.

Peter C

Established Member
- The pages stayed in the binder. The binder was either physically kept with you or was easily accessible when on duty. Staff were and still are assessed on their knowledge of the rules so in theory you shouldn’t need to constantly be looking at the book to carry out a task, but it needs to be available for consultation if you get stuck or need to do something obscure. This has been the case for decades and is still the same today.

- The previous book published in 1992 (BR87109, the first proper rewrite since 1972) was written in a different, more formal and verbose type of language and the peronalised rule books changed this to a more easily understandable format and to reduce the overall word count. It introduced short lists with bullet points, colour and proper diagrams. For example Section A clause 5.1.3 of the 92 books said

...whereas the same rule (Section A clause 11.1.5) in the Railtrack book reads

Much of the content was also revised, moved or removed at the same time. Previously everyone was issued with the same Rule Book and it contained the rules for everyone all mixed together in broad sections. The personalised Rule Book took this the other way by attempting to give only the sections and clauses required by role and excluding rules which were deemed not to be required for certain roles. There was a master book which contained everything but it was not widely issued to front line staff.

The current GE/RT8000 series Rule Book was introduced in 2003 and instead of being divided by role is modular with rules on a particular topic grouped together in a single module. You can be issued with as many or as few modules as your job requires. There are also small handbooks which are designed to be carried in a pocket (much like the pre-1972 books) and the language has changed again to become more clear. There is a style guide explaining how to write operational instructions in the correct style as per the Rule Book and a list of words that must not be used - “shall” has become “must” for example. The current Rule Book assigns a responsibility to each clause and then uses the word “You” throughout. Recently the concept has been derailed a bit by the wholescale removal of content to be hidden away in internal company documents on the basis that it isn’t really a rule but an instruction or policy. The rule I quoted above about getting on and off trains has been removed.
Thanks for clearing that first bit up for me.
Cheers for the info about the previous rule books; it definitely was a more formal style. The personalised rule books definitely made it more understandable; instead of having to read the old one, summarise it in your head, and work accordingly, you can just read it and do what it says as it is already summarised in a way that is still readable and it still works.
I think that it was therefore a good decision for Railtrack to make the books more personalised and separate it into the different sections based on role; however, the modern books we have today seems to be even better than that as there are probably going to be cases where someone who normally works as X will have to work as Y for a day. Having the different modules based on the different parts of the railway instead of by role makes it easier for one to easily find information about, say, AC electrified lines, instead of having to think who that sort of information would apply to.
Thanks once again,

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Sorry to restart this thread, but does anyone on here know of anywhere which would sell these rule books? I know eBay has some occasionally, but is there anywhere which has more of a railway publication theme? Thanks. :)

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.