• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK awards 2008 - results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks to everyone for their nominations and votes. The results in every category are as below. As you can see from the percentages, some of the categories came very close but in others there was a clear winner!
  1. TOC of the year
    Wrexham & Shropshire 69.2%
  2. Railtour of the year
    Deltic Retro Scot (Retro Railtours) 57.9%
  3. Railway related site of the year
    thejunction.org.uk - http://www.thejunction.org.uk/ 36.5%
  4. Gallery of the year
    EE Type 3 - http://daviddawson.fotopic.net/ 53.3%
  5. Best railway debut of the year
    Wrexham & Shropshire commencement of service 63.3%
  6. Most disappointing event of the year
    Fares Simplification 54.9%
  7. Most surprising working
    Loco haulage for Hull Trains 52.2%
  8. Best railway media (TV or Radio) piece
    Ian Hislop Goes off the Rails (BBC) 76%
  9. Best station
    London St Pancras 65.5%
  10. Railway event of the year
    "Tornado" unveiling 54.8%
  11. Railway journalist of the year
    Yorkie in 'Railtalk Magazine' 50%
  12. Meet of the year
    Gizmogle's birthday bash 46.2%
  13. Thread of the year
    'My sis is a stunnah!!' - http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20245 44.7%

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
A much more deserving winner than Manchester Piccadilly and Glasgow Central, both of which look like dumps compared to SPX

P156KWJ

Established Member
I know, but people don't really think about when they are submitting they just think "ooh St Pancras, everybody likes that, so I'll submit that too" even if they haven't been there. Even though it is nice, I can think of much nicer looking local stations like Chathill

Coxster

Established Member
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A lot of predictable results there. I agree with Miles, there's got to be more deserving stations than St Pancras Domestic. My nomination went to Inverness, although I forget what my vote was for :oops:

P156KWJ

Established Member
A lot of predictable results there. I agree with Miles, there's got to be more deserving stations than St Pancras Domestic. My nomination went to Inverness, although I forget what my vote was for :oops:

think I voted for Chathill. If there was a category for worst station of the year it'd probably go to either Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Peartree or Birmigham New Street

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
think I voted for Chathill. If there was a category for worst station of the year it'd probably go to either Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Peartree or Birmigham New Street
The categories have slightly changed since 2007, but last time Birmingham New Street won in the old "best station" category.

class47

Well done to Yorkie, well deserved, his articles are always well written and interesting.:D:D.

Also well done to my good friend Dave Dawson, another well deserved win

Pumbaa

Established Member

Nah sorry - STP is brilliant. As a finished product, it's flipping amazing. Bearing in mind it's now just over a year old, and almost 7 years since the designs were penned, it looks fresh, inviting and awesome (not to be used in the clique way). In my opinion, a most deserving winner, and I daresay a contender for many years to come.

As for Piccadilly, easily the second best UK station I've ever visited.

Established Member
The most annoying and the stoat of the year weren't on there:)

BJMorley

Why, did you want to win them both?

I think I voted for STP for the nominations :oops: :oops: in the
I picked Manchester Piccadilly for the voting though :)
I, thinking about it now, would of recomended Grantham, it's a lovely station, the staff are very friendly too.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Grantham? It's freezing, has some carriage sidings with weeds growing and a pumpkin cafe... lovely... and the staff in my experience are the usual NXEC station staff standards - not good.

And you've been to STP once :lol:

Mintona

Established Member
Why, did you want to win them both?

I think I voted for STP for the nominations :oops: :oops: in the
I picked Manchester Piccadilly for the voting though :)
I, thinking about it now, would of recomended Grantham, it's a lovely station, the staff are very friendly too.

Maybe he wanted to win both of them, but you would have.

metrocammel

Nah sorry - STP is brilliant. As a finished product, it's flipping amazing. Bearing in mind it's now just over a year old, and almost 7 years since the designs were penned, it looks fresh, inviting and awesome (not to be used in the clique way). In my opinion, a most deserving winner, and I daresay a contender for many years to come.

I have to disagree. The actual 'trainshed' refurbishment is very good indeed, and the 'original bit' of the station looks very nice aesthetically, however, the 'STP' bit, the domestic station is really poor IMO. The ticket office is annexed from the trains, and the platforms just 'jut' out, and are totally separate from the trainshed, which I was quite disappointed about, although space limitations are apparent. In my opinion, it's only half baked at present as the hotel isn't completed yet, so the 'original' entrance at the front isn't ready, meaning there is a sort of 'ghost' section on the upper concourse between the ugly statue area and the domestic station. It's also sad to see the old neo-Gothic ticket office is currently just being used to store bits and pieces- I hope they do something with this, as it's too nice to abandon.

My overall view is the station is very fragmented now, party due to the security issues with Eurostar, meaning it's totally cordoned off from the other platforms, and that domestic services have been evicted from the main body of the station. When I first heard St. Pancras was going to be the Eurostar terminal, I invisaged a Gare du Nord type arrangement, where the security fences aren't at all obtrusive, and the platforms are simply domestic service platforms converted to International use. Unfortunately, I think they have changed it a bit much, thus the station has lost it's traditional character.

BJMorley

Totally agree with you there, with the new "Domestic" shed looking aesthetically displeasing, and the building of a shopping centre below the platforms, it does make the station look somehow dwarfed compared to the original MR station, and with Eurostar taking up all the space under the original Barlow shed, it does seem to me a bit too much.
Brandon

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Nonsense, I nominated and voted St Pancras mainly with International in mind admittedly, but I don't think that's relevant at all. I voted on the basis of the stunning restoration of the trainshed, the decor, the feel of the place and the facilities are second to none in my experience. Then the extras like the homage to Betjeman, who was so instrumental in saving the building altogether in the 1960s. It is an absolute pleasure to use and a class above Gare Du Nord and (even more so) Bruxelles Midi to arrive at and and depart from. I was in Paris for New Year, and there was no contest on how to travel, I'd choose it over any airport and I wouldn't have thought that about Waterloo.

What an impact it has on the visitor... It could have been a Birmingham New Street, it could have been a Euston, it could have been a Bruxelles Midi, it could have been a Stansted Airport, but it wasn't. For once in this country, we did something with class and flair rather than pure function in mind and we acheived something really special and I think it oozes character. And all done on time and budget.

Deserving winner.

Oh and I've used the domestic platforms and don't really see anything wrong with them (though I haven't used the FCC platforms). I've used St Pancras International for three trips now and never had a bad experience.

Phoenix

Established Member
Gotta say great set of choices and the best won!!
Sadly I wish my gallery could have won (only joking)
But another great year with great history being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.