• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
As many of you may have read elsewhere, a number of these badges are now available to those members who would like one. The following members are in possession of the badges and should be contacted if you would like one:

The plan, initially at least, is to make the badges available to those who attend forum meets. Once those attendees who would like a badge have received one, the remainder will be made available by post to other members. Those living abroad should contact DistrictLine (you will need to supply a postal address, obviously).

Postage costs may be charged at the discretion of the individual who posts your badge, but the badge itself is completely free.

badge.gif

As you can see, the badges aren't too intrusive, measuring in at around 3cm point-to-point.

Massive thanks go to DistrictLine for funding the badges entirely out of his own money.

If you've got any further queries, please contact DistrictLine or myself.

Subject to availability.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H

HR2

Will members in the following areas please PM me if they would like one. I have 12 for distribution all told. Both for those abroad and northerners too. As stated by Seth I will need a postal address to send one to please.

Cumbria, Tyneside, Teeside. Northumberland, Yorkshire, Lancs, and anywhere north of the border. U.S.A and Europe.

I will send one as soon as I get address details.

I can also be nattered with and contacted on MSN messenger. If you want the address, again PM me. [I don't bite]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us clarify things a little further then. I have badges for those in the areas stated above.

Tomnick has badges for the Midlands [east and west] Lincolnshire Cambridgeshire. Warwickshire Staffrodshire et al.

Seth has them for London and the home counties

Damon has them for the south and west. I.E Hampshire, Dorsetshire. Shropshire Devon. and Cornwall.

If I have left your county out don't worry. Calculate where geographically your nearest badge supplier is and then ask.

But REMEMBER those that attend forum meets will have first call

The Gricer

DistrictLine said:
Damon has them for the south and west. I.E Hampshire, Dorsetshire. Shropshire Devon. and Cornwall.

Dorsetshire? Just how old are you DL? I believe Dorset dropped the 'shire' in the 1600s! ;)

Frank

H

HR2

The Gricer said:
Dorsetshire? Just how old are you DL? I believe Dorset dropped the 'shire' in the 1600s! ;)

Frank

Well ye see sorr oi baint got to these here modern times yet. :rolleyes:

TheSlash

Established Member
The Gricer said:

Frank
But i expect you quite clearly remember it being called Dorsetshire though Mr Gricer ;)
Anyhow, stop being difficult. I'll be wearing my RailUK badge with pride everywhere i go {yeah right}

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Anyhow, stop being difficult. I'll be wearing my RailUK badge with pride everywhere i go
The Eastleigh-massive will be jealous!

The Gricer

TheSlash said:
But i expect you quite clearly remember it being called Dorsetshire though Mr Gricer ;)
Do I look as though I'm 400 odd years old?
Note: Rhetorical question - no reply required! :D

TheSlash said:
Anyhow, stop being difficult.
Difficult? Moi? I'm not difficult! In fact some might say I'm quite simple! :happy8:

The Gricer

TheSlash said:
Anyway what happened to 34.40 BML1? ;)
I didn't think anyone would know what I was on about. ('Nothing new there then' I hear someone say!) And why 34.40? It's the 34.5 milepost I sit here staring at all day from my workplace window. Or am I still missing some professional technicality here?:dontknow:

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The Gricer said:
('Nothing new there then' I hear someone say!)
You're not that bad..... considering your age ;)

BML1 34.40 - Bournemouth Main Line and the mileage? Not sure on the '1'. Does '1' just mean London to Bournemouth with '2' being Bournemouth to Weymouth, or is '2' the Brighton Main Line, sharing the BML code?

T

Tom

It's the Engineers Line References - see Quail.

BML is Waterloo (Main lines) - Weymouth (Bournemouth Main Line)
VTB is Victoria (Central) - Brighton via Streatham Common and Quarry Line

Coxster

Established Member
Tom said:
BML is Waterloo (Main lines) - Weymouth (Bournemouth Main Line)
What is the 1 & 2 though? As I suggested, London to Bournemouth and Bournemouth to Weymouth?

T

Tom

BML2 is listed until Dorchester South where it becomes BML3 where there is Dorchester Junction ... so presumably it is BML1 until Woking Jn where the Portsmouth Direct diverges.

Coxster

Established Member
Tom said:
so presumably it is BML1 until Woking Jn where the Portsmouth Direct diverges.
Can't be as that is only around MP25/26 IIRC - Dad's work is around MP34 and is still (according to Steve) BML1.

If it does become BML3 at Dorchester where the HofW line joines then maybe it is BML1 until a major place like Basingstoke, Eastleigh or Southampton, then BML2 onwards to Dorchester?

T

Tom

Well, let's see ... OK this is a rundown:

BML1 - London to Southampton
BML2 - Southampton to Dorchester Junction
BML3 - Dorchester Jn to Weymouth (Quay)

On the Southern region trackmaps, it says that the down main line on the Northam curve is electrified using 4th rail!

T

Tom

Well it appears Quail begs to differ in this case then! Is there any other line where that code works in a similar way?

Tomnick

Established Member
Quail's definitely in agreement with Tom - ELR BML1 extends as far as 77m68ch, where there's a rather odd change of mileage, which restarts at 78m into BML2.

Only in Southampton could you have a mile that's only 68 chains long :p - shown in Quail as 'Northam Short Mile'. Anyone know any more? Presumably the formation was diverted at some point, over a slightly shorter route?

T

Tom

The Northam trackbed from Central to St Denys is the same as when it was built.

Coxster

Established Member
Tom said:
The Northam trackbed from Central to St Denys is the same as when it was built.
Unless the mileage suddently switches to the old Ringwood route for some reason?

T

Tom

Ah, yes, that would make sense. Diverged just south of Brockenhurst IIRC and near Parkstone.

T

Tom

Was exactly there, the right line was Lymington, the left line was Ringwood.

Coxster

Established Member
So Steve says the 'up' is one thing and down another? Signs on the platforms at Farnborough beg to differ - both saying it is BML1.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whats this got to do with RailUK badges? :-?

T

Tom

Damon, could you give me one on the 24th or 26th in case Seth forgets? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.