• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Exclusive: New heavy Class 185s won't last

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An industry decider has exclusively informed RailUK "The 185's will almost certainly be up on bricks in 10 years time. They are so heavy that when the new track access charging regime is implemented the costs will just be silly. Hell, the things built like a Panzer Tank to cope with the torque fromt he engines (required to do 100 mph up hills)! "

So there you have it, don't forget that the cost of fuel is esclating (and will get a LOT worse) so these new heavy trains are not going to do the industry any favours.

Then there's the issue that the trains are highly route-specific and non-standard, so they have a low residual value (even before taking into account the problems above), this means high leasing costs.

He went on to say, "We should never have let First Group write the spec for them after the mess they made with the 175's and 180's."

I've argued this before, and I'll argue it again, why not spend money on infrastructure instead? As a fairly regular passenger I'd rather junctions like Guide Bridge were upgraded than get new trains that still crawl at 15mph there and offer no real benefits.

Yes these trains can do 100mph, but what about speed restrictions due to their weight that could be imposed? Also, where will they reach 100mph? Only between Church Fenton and York, and IF they are routed onto the fast lines (not a great idea to mix them with 125mph trains) north of York.

Only the Newcastle-Man Air trains (which don't usually call at Thirsk) will benefit by any significant amount by the increased speed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

confirmed my fears

heavy useless trains = scrap = wasted money = higher ticket prices :cry:

Guinness

Established Member
I really don't see how there was a great cock-up with the 175s. Alstom made them but built trains with Disc Brakes that melt. Eventually it correct after 4 years of introduction and IMO are excellent trains better at long distances than the 158s. 180s I really don't know about....

185s looks alright but it could be hell once they are on the network. Not good for the passenger though...

Guinness

Established Member
Good or not they are here to stay! Multi-million pound Depots are been built for it! They could be here until the World's Oil runs dry.

Dave A

Chaz said:
Good or not they are here to stay! Multi-million pound Depots are been built for it! They could be here until the World's Oil runs dry.

A few years then :lol:

At least the depots will be of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.