• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

raveon

Anyone know what became of the lone TPE FC lounge at Huddersfield? I can’t find any mention of it on their website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tester

Anyone know what became of the lone TPE FC lounge at Huddersfield? I can’t find any mention of it on their website.
Still there - I was in it yesterday.

The offering is similar to LNER lounges - tea/coffee/hot chocolate/water/orange juice and biscuits/cake/crisps.

I think little used - in all my visits I don't recall seeing another user.

railfan99

Established Member
Still there - I was in it yesterday.

I think little used - in all my visits I don't recall seeing another user.

I may use in the next couple of weeks as on a Eurailpass, I have a little time scheduled at what looks to be an architecturally pleasant station (at least to foreigners).

Merle Haggard

Established Member
As it happens, London Northwestern set the fares between Euston and Watford Junction and they removed all 1st class fares in June and Avanti haven't intorduuced any dedicated Avanti only fares.

Very late to comment, I know, and perhaps it deserves a new thread, But.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't find any First fares from Rugby or Milton Keynes to/from Euston either (the option to choose First was there, it just came up as 'no fare available for this train'). it's been suggested that LNwR set the fares from these stations, too. This is relevant to previous comments about booking a EUS-MKC First ticket to obtain access to Euston lounge.

It has wider implications outside this thread.

I may use in the next couple of weeks as on a Eurailpass, I have a little time scheduled at what looks to be an architecturally pleasant station (at least to foreigners).
Swerve the box room. The King's Head pub is a much better place to pass some time.
It's part of the station - although you'll need to exit the ticket barriers to access it. It's on the left side as you exit.
Try one of the beers from the Magic Rock Brewery while you're in there.

railfan99

Established Member
Try one of the beers from the Magic Rock Brewery while you're in there.

Great: thanks. Provided it sells a Pale Ale, I will. Will search website. My taste doesn't run to stouts.

Apart from Ascot's great initial post, is there an updated c.2023 guide to each lounge on one of the 45 pages in the thread? I've searched back a couple of pages to no avail. The comments are useful but aren't a 'one stop shop'.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Great: thanks. Provided it sells a Pale Ale, I will. Will search website. My taste doesn't run to stouts.

Apart from Ascot's great initial post, is there an updated c.2023 guide to each lounge on one of the 45 pages in the thread? I've searched back a couple of pages to no avail. The comments are useful but aren't a 'one stop shop'.

Ascot used to keep them up to date, but suddenly stopped being a regular contributor, with his last post in this thread being 11 years ago and his last on the forum being nearly 10 years ago.

It'd need someone like a moderator with edit rights and a bit of time to keep keeping them up to date.

raveon

I would be interested in taking on a full update of the FC lounge guide. To enable full in-person mini reviews of each lounge, c/w photos etc, would the forum consider meeting me halfway on the cost of a 7 day FC ALR - upon satisfactory completion of a fully updated guide? (Bit of a long shot I know, but if you don't ask you don't get ;))

JW4

Does anyone know when the Wolverhampton first class lounge closed?

i assume it would be when WMR took control of management of the station

Attachments

• IMG_6392.jpeg
    IMG_6392.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Currently at Edinburgh Airport awaiting a Flight down to Birmingham. Will then cross over to Birmingham International and get a 1st class Ticket to Sandwell & Dudley
A post earlier in this thread from the week that the Wolverhampton lounge closed was in December 2017

Jesus doesn't time fly ....

Flew in from Edinburgh to Birmingham this morning and bought my "Breakfast Special" 1st Class Single from Birmingham International to Sandwell & Dudley which "includes" Eats in the Lounge all for £5.95 !!

Couple of Cappo's, Bottle orange Juice, Cereal plus some Lemon Shortbread and Marble Chocolate Bars to go.

Not quite as substantive fayre as on my last visit but still head and shoulders above any LNER Lounge on the Network.

Last edited:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Anyone sampled the new CS lounge at Euston yet? https://www.sleeper.scot/euston-guest-lounge/
I assume this means sleeper passengers will no longer be able to access the Avanti lounge at Euston, where the complimentary refreshments (if not the furnishings!) are probably superior.

The prices are crazy when you look a the bland pictures that dont do anything to make you want to purchase anything whilst in there.

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone sampled the new CS lounge at Euston yet? https://www.sleeper.scot/euston-guest-lounge/
I assume this means sleeper passengers will no longer be able to access the Avanti lounge at Euston, where the complimentary refreshments (if not the furnishings!) are probably superior.

Or when you are at the CS Price Point for eligible passengers compares poorly with a BA Lounge where everything is free including Alcohol :idea:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Or when you are at the CS Price Point for eligible passengers compares poorly with a BA Lounge where everything is free including Alcohol :idea:
You've made it very clear in this and the LNER First Class offerings thread that complimentary alcohol (scotch to be precise) is a primary priority for you when it comes to first class services though. For those that don't drink or don't drink much, this won't be a major issue.

Butts

Veteran Member
You've made it very clear in this and the LNER First Class offerings thread that complimentary alcohol (scotch to be precise) is a primary priority for you when it comes to first class services though. For those that don't drink or don't drink much, this won't be a major issue.

Whilst for me that's true, for others having a meal it's still going to take a fair wedge out of someone's pocket in comparison to using a BA Lounge ?

if the Lounge was for use by all passengers rather than just the elite ticketholders the pricing structure would make more sense.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Whilst for me that's true, for others having a meal it's still going to take a fair wedge out of someone's pocket in comparison to using a BA Lounge ?

if the Lounge was for use by all passengers rather than just the elite ticketholders the pricing structure would make more sense.
But surely one would expect the service of a train company's first class to be scaled down from British Airways' in proportion with the price, in that a ticket on LNER/CS/Avanti in First Class is naturally going to be cheaper than a first class flight with BA.

Butts

Veteran Member
But surely one would expect the service of a train company's first class to be scaled down from British Airways' in proportion with the price, in that a ticket on LNER/CS/Avanti in First Class is naturally going to be cheaper than a first class flight with BA.

When you get into £200 territory a Club Domestic Fare is achievable in that price bracket or you have status from accumulated travel.

Having said that at least they have a limited free offering for "A Magical Journey" (assuming you can get in as there have been capacity problems highlighted on the CS thread)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When you get into £200 territory a Club Domestic Fare is achievable in that price bracket or you have status from accumulated travel.

Having said that at least they have a limited free offering for "A Magical Journey" (assuming you can get in as there have been capacity problems highlighted on the CS thread)
Yes, but they BA also have to cater for those paying upwards of £10K, whereas CS do not have to strike that balance.

Mind you, I do agree at that price the least they could offer is a complimentary drink at Euston really, so I'm not going to argue the point that alcohol shouldn't be offered. I just dispute that it should be on the level of our airline flag carrier's first class lounges.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, but they BA also have to cater for those paying upwards of £10K, whereas CS do not have to strike that balance.

Mind you, I do agree at that price the least they could offer is a complimentary drink at Euston really, so I'm not going to argue the point that alcohol shouldn't be offered. I just dispute that it should be on the level of our airline flag carrier's first class lounges.

No ones talking about First Class Lounges just the normal BA ones available at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and subby at Inverness plus of course Heathrow.

robbeech

Established Member
To hear most of the general public out the cheapest rail fare is more expensive than a 1st Class return between Heathrow and JFK.

railfan99

Established Member

The vast majority of Westerners drink alcohol, as do a large majority of Asians, two major markets for 'CS' or British inbound tourism.

In moderation, it's an excellent social lubricant and enjoyable.

Nothing wrong with expecting a railway or airline lounge to offer complimentary alcohol.

Butts

Veteran Member
Flew down from Edinburgh to London Heathrow this morning and then got a National Express Coach from T5 to Birmingham Airport.

Paid my usual £6 for a 1st Class Single from there to Sandwell& Dudley which got me into the Lounge at BHI which was empty around 4ish - surprising.

Bargain of the Century filled up on drinks and snacks.

Added bonus on the 1638 Avanti Service to Glasgow which I alighted to travel to SAD - got a free Scotch !!

Just to give a bit of perspective to people who may frequent Rail 1st Class Lounges but not BA ones like I did on departure from Edinburgh....

In there I had a full breakfast (sausage, bacon , egg, hash browns, black pudding - all help yourself

Muffins, Orange Juice, Cappuccinos, and Tablet, plus a couple of Taliskers to wash it down.

As an added bonus I was upgraded on the flight to business class.

My lucky day !!

Butts

Veteran Member
A rather indirect routing?! Avios to burn and/or just for fun?

Flight was an Avios Redemption so free - the days before I checked and it was £300 !!

Going back the same way coach to LHR in the early hours of Boxing Day and 1st Flight up to EDI.

Have to work Boxing Day no early service from BHX.

Can't include the Train this time as they are not running !!!