• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Ascot

Established Member
Manchester to Stockport VT only tickets do indeed work in the Manchester lounge. Had no issues, no second looks and no comments.

EDIT: To add salt to the wound I've been here since 10:45 and plan on leaving at 12:45 for my train, I've been allowed to hop out to M&S to get a meal deal while the host looks after my stuff, I've asked and been allowed to eat the meal deal and I've got them to check my XC train status with a smile and a laugh. I genuinely think it's how people handle and approach the situation as they do have a right to refuse access.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I genuinely think it's how people handle and approach the situation as they do have a right to refuse access.

Why do they have a right to refuse access to someone with a valid first-class ticket departing that station?

Butts

Veteran Member
With the Virgin Lounges am I correct in the assumption that you are able to access them on the conclusion of your journey as well as the start.

On a return journey from Birmingham to Euston you could access them on four occasions during one day:p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Or a Coventry-Birmingham Intl Day Return ;)

I think they are valid on BoJs also, so a Wolves-Coventry return could get you in up to eight times?

Butts

Veteran Member
Or a Coventry-Birmingham Intl Day Return ;)

I think they are valid on BoJs also, so a Wolves-Coventry return could get you in up to eight times?

A "scounging marathon" - you could open your own lounge on the train "recycling" the products :p

Ascot

Established Member
You can also buy a Wolves to Cov 1ST monthly season ticket for £119.90 and have in effect an "anytime walk-in lounge pass" for the West Midlands.

Last edited:

Seacook

1 Month, a year is £1,248.

A Network West Midlands annual season ticket (Bus/Rail/Metro) is £985.00.
A First Class rail upgrade is +£400, total £1385. This gives access to the lounges at WVH, BHM, BHI and COV; I checked with both VT and NWM/Centro. The rail travel covers the whole of the West Midlands and not just WVH-COV.

My new ticket with the FC upgrade starts Wednesday:D. I found out about this option only last month when I was checking the website to renew my season ticket.

Ascot

Established Member
Little update for Greater Anglia:

- Currently maintaining the Liverpool St and Ipswich lounges
- Looking to give both lounges attention with a refresh
- Looking at Ipswich for long term improvements
- No current plans to add any more stations

Update for CrossCountry:

- The old (not very publicised) lounge on Platform 2 (ex VT one) has now gone with station refurbishment
- No agreements for XC only passengers anywhere

Generic Updates:

- Getting information on SWT to be updated in the next week or so.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I had an argument with someone on here a few months ago about the very existence of this lounge at Edinburgh Waverley I knew it used to exist - you have put my mind at rest.:p

That was me. I will admit I never knew it existed. It must have closed a good while back though, certainly since I've been interested in railways it hasn't been open.

island

Veteran Member
Tomorrow I have an Advance 1st to travel from Euston to Birmingham Intl. I will use the 1st class lounge at EUS beforehand, but can I use the BHI lounge (a) on arrival and/or (b) sometime later that day?

Ascot

Established Member
Tomorrow I have an Advance 1st to travel from Euston to Birmingham Intl. I will use the 1st class lounge at EUS beforehand, but can I use the BHI lounge (a) on arrival and/or (b) sometime later that day?

Of course you can use the lounge on arrival.

All Line Rover

Established Member

You're unlikely to be questioned if you use the ticket later that day, either. Birmingham International uses an intercom, so it's difficult for staff to check the ticket AND reservation coupon.

(Technically, you're allowed to use the lounges for the entire day your ticket is valid anyway).

Ascot

Established Member
Update from VT.

The Birmingham New St lounge will close end of the year/start of next with a temporary lounge open. A new/bigger lounge will be constructed roughly where the old one is now to be close to the "A" end and will be open within 2-3 years.

So we may have a porta-cabin for a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amcluesent

The EC lounge at KGX is quite poor now, as the fridges and coffee machines have been removed - I guess to the new lounge opening 18 March. Thermos flask coffee and room temp cans, the telly is there still. Not worth your £5 (or 50 loyalty points) IMHO.

Last edited:

autotank

Could I use the lounge at Paddington if I bought a monthly season ticket from Henley-on-Thames - London Paddington that is 1st Class Eastbound only?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Could I use the lounge at Paddington if I bought a monthly season ticket from Henley-on-Thames - London Paddington that is 1st Class Eastbound only?

Yes you can, you are aware that season tickets offer unlimited travel along the valid routes in either direction, not just one way.

TP

Ascot

Established Member

If the season ticket you buy is valid on FGW services in First Class then you shouldn't have any problems in the lounge. First Eastbound only is only valid Eastbound in First Class so I'm not 100% sure if you would be allowed to use the lounge as an "arrivals" lounge.