• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Butts

Veteran Member
Does the "two hours before and after" apply to Avanti's own customers ?

I thought they'd knocked the after on the head.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JW4

Can you use Avanti’s first class lounges with an Avanti family leisure card that permits First Class Travel?

Butts

Veteran Member
Just flown down from Edinburgh to Birmingham and having my "complimentary breakfast" in the BHI (Birmingham International) Avanti Lounge courtesy of my £5.95 1st Class Single from here to SAD. (Sandwell & Dudley Station.)

Nice bottle of Orange Juice and a Cappuccino accompanied by various snacks from those on offer.

Got to be one of the best keep secrets and bargains available.

No uglies though - outrageous :E

Last edited:

raveon

Not sure when the ‘rules’ changed, but Avanti now allow 1 hour’s lounge access from arrival (although the website still makes no mention off it).

raveon

2 hours before departure only (which is what the website still says).
Also they have a new QR / eticket scanner on the reception desk at Euston, like you would find at an airport lounge.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
2 hours before departure only (which is what the website still says).
Also they have a new QR / eticket scanner on the reception desk at Euston, like you would find at an airport lounge.
Oh, I've definitely used it after arrival before, though not for a while.

sonic2009

Established Member
A quick question.

What would be the cheapest ticket to purchase to allow access into London Eustons Avanti Lounge?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A quick question.

What would be the cheapest ticket to purchase to allow access into London Eustons Avanti Lounge?
I think it would be a Euston to Milton Keynes Central 1st Class Anytime Day Single route: Avanti costing £38.30.

Tester

I think it would be a Euston to Milton Keynes Central 1st Class Anytime Day Single route: Avanti costing £38.30.
Strangely I have recently noticed occasional Avanti services from Euston calling at Watford Junction without the normal pick up only restriction.

For example 18.20 to Crewe on Saturday 15 July, which National Rail Enquiries recognises as a valid journey.

However thwarted by the fact that there appears to be no first class fare for this journey by any operator, which is a bit of a surprise.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Strangely I have recently noticed occasional Avanti services from Euston calling at Watford Junction without the normal pick up only restriction.

For example 18.20 to Crewe on Saturday 15 July, which National Rail Enquiries recognises as a valid journey.

However thwarted by the fact that there appears to be no first class fare for this journey by any operator, which is a bit of a surprise.
I did look at Watford Junction as I know there's the occasional Avanti service that calls there, although I suspect accessing the lounge with a ticket to WFJ could be a challenge.

As it happens, London Northwestern set the fares between Euston and Watford Junction and they removed all 1st class fares in June and Avanti haven't intorduuced any dedicated Avanti only fares.

Tester

I did look at Watford Junction as I know there's the occasional Avanti service that calls there, although I suspect accessing the lounge with a ticket to WFJ could be a challenge.

As it happens, London Northwestern set the fares between Euston and Watford Junction and they removed all 1st class fares in June and Avanti haven't intorduuced any dedicated Avanti only fares.
Interesting - I hadn't noticed the removal of LNR first class fares.

Given the lack of enforcement it's not irrational.

On topic, Milton Keynes has to be the correct answer

westv

Established Member
Anybody been recently to the Doncaster 1st class lounge? Do you still have to show your ticket to a camera to gain access?

Tester

Anybody been recently to the Doncaster 1st class lounge? Do you still have to show your ticket to a camera to gain access?
Doncaster lounge remains a nightmare.

Sometimes there is a notice that you have to find a staff member on the platform to let you in, but the absence of the notice doesn't mean the camera is working.

Sometimes the door isn't locked - always worth a try - but basically it's a lottery.

And once you've in you wonder why you bothered :D

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Was in the Kings Cross lounge last Saturday. The orange juice has returned… in the form of diluted juice. It was still refreshing though

Butts

Veteran Member
Doncaster lounge remains a nightmare.

Sometimes there is a notice that you have to find a staff member on the platform to let you in, but the absence of the notice doesn't mean the camera is working.

Sometimes the door isn't locked - always worth a try - but basically it's a lottery.

And once you've in you wonder why you bothered :D

What's on offer (assuming your quest is successful) ?

Was in the Kings Cross lounge last Saturday. The orange juice has returned… in the form of diluted juice. It was still refreshing though

What else in the form of drinks and eats ?

Butts

Veteran Member
A couple of weeks ago at Kings Cross, still and sparkling water, biscuits, crisps, hot drink machine.

Sub Avanti Euston then by the sound of it.

I do wish someone would report in on GWR's Paddington as that used to be amongst the best.

Tester

I can report on Paddington and the news is not good.

Only biscuits to eat. No sign of the previous range of snacks, and definitely no sandwiches.

Drinks seemed as normal, and the sign offering wine between 1700 and 1900.

Cardiff earlier the same day was the same (apart from the wine). I was a bit surprised, but not as surprised to find Paddington having gone the same way

Butts

Veteran Member

Only biscuits to eat. No sign of the previous range of snacks, and definitely no sandwiches.

Drinks seemed as normal, and the sign offering wine between 1700 and 1900.

Cardiff earlier the same day was the same (apart from the wine). I was a bit surprised, but not as surprised to find Paddington having gone the same way

That's sad to hear, when I lived in Newport before the pandemic, I was in there occasionally and they used to have a reasonable selection.

Seems Avanti is the last man standing when it comes to going beyond "tea and biscuits"

Bishopstone

Established Member

I pop through occasionally at around 9am, and a selection of sweet pastries have always been available. Maybe ‘when they’re gone, they’re gone.’

Concur about the lack of sandwiches, though.

Back to LNER, and I was surprised to find my orange juice in the Kings Cross lounge (and York, later in the day), was in fact orange squash. What next - biscuits replaced by Haribo?

Butts

Veteran Member
As a way of comparison currently in the BA Lounge at Edinburgh Airport.....it's like Harrods and Kwiksave !!!

Just had a couple of Breakfast Muffins accompanied by OJ, Cappuccino and three Double Taliskers and a couple of bits of tablet.

Now they are bringing Lunch out o_O

Pies, sandwiches, chilli, ice cream tubs in the fridge and a huge range of alcohol from Heineken to Champagne and just about everything in between.

ScotTrains

There was talks a few years ago of Preston getting a first class lounge but that has gone really silent
In the Avanti "what we've got planned" section of their website it still mentions new first class lounges at Preston, Stockport and Rugby.

I really hope these go ahead, especially the Preston one as I often change there. I'm surprised it still doesn't have one for such a big interchange station.

With the franchise running out in a couple of months perhaps we'll hear something about future lounge investment in the next franchise/extension.