• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Mobile App now launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
picture.php

I am pleased to announce the launch of our Mobile App which is available for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch, as well as Android devices.

This App allows registered members to:
  • Read and reply to threads
  • Post new threads
  • Send and receive Private Messages
  • View member profiles

It can be downloaded from the App Store and Android Market.

There is a list of issues which are currently being worked on by vBulletin, therefore we cannot accept any error reports as they are being dealt with them direct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Just as a suggestion, perhaps the iPhone screenshots on the App Store could be changed so as they are actually showing RUK rather than what I assume is the vB support forum?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just as a suggestion, perhaps the iPhone screenshots on the App Store could be changed so as they are actually showing RUK rather than what I assume is the vB support forum?
These are the screenshots that are supposed to be uploaded, as it was not possible to preview the forum prior to it appearing in the App Store!

The uploads are using the same colour scheme which we use.

SS4

Established Member
I like the android interface, especially the new posts by default. Excellent work :)

Does the android version require permission to take pics /videos for upload purposes?

(FWIW: This was sent from the android app)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Excellent app!! Well done - thank you very much. 8-)

I like the smilie toolbar when you are typing.

(this was sent from the iPod app)

wintonian

Established Member
Sounds good but why would the app need location information and access to phone call information/ its identity?

Permissions
This application has access to the following:

Hardware controls
take pictures and videos
Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.

Your location
coarse (network-based) location
Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

Network communication
full Internet access
Allows an application to create network sockets.

Phone calls
read phone state and identity
Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Storage
modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents
Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

Show all

Network communication
view network state
Allows an application to view the state of all networks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The reasons for the permissions regarding phone calls and your location is for advertisements; to read the device state and identity and serve geo-targetted ads.

Jdrowlands

The reasons for the permissions regarding phone calls and your location is for advertisements; to read the device state and identity and serve geo-targetted ads.

That seems a little intrusive, really. I'd much rather pay for an app than get a free version which can access my phone number and do whatever it wants with it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately no such thing exists, unless you continue to browse the forum using your phone's browser, or are willing to be subject to the limited support provided by Tapatalk. This is the way the App works and nothing can be done about it by us.

causton

Established Member
I like the android interface, especially the new posts by default. Excellent work :)

Does the android version require permission to take pics /videos for upload purposes?

(FWIW: This was sent from the android app)

Afaik it seems to be for taking a picture for use as your profile picture :)

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Great app. Using my galaxy s :) better than viewing on internet browser 5* mojo + co

Pumbaa

Established Member
Good stuff, and nice to see it emerge but I won't be using it. While the physical functionality of the app is of a higher standard than Tapatalk, I could not find an option to turn avatars off or the intro screen with the EMT HST, and I don't particularly want people noticing I have an app called RailUK on my phone. Tapatalk is more discrete, and no-one gives it a second thought.

I will continue to use Tapatalk.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good stuff, and nice to see it emerge but I won't be using it. While the physical functionality of the app is of a higher standard than Tapatalk, I could not find an option to turn avatars off or the intro screen with the EMT HST, and I don't particularly want people noticing I have an app called RailUK on my phone. Tapatalk is more discrete, and no-one gives it a second thought.

I shall be hiding it amongst the 'info' and 'science' folders so that none of my school friends find it. :P

SS4

Established Member
Shall download it later off the android app market later when my phone has charged.

Chris

Did it die at Maiden last night? It was funny with the balls-up over the guitars during number of the beast :lol:

I don't particularly want people noticing I have an app called RailUK on my phone. Tapatalk is more discrete, and no-one gives it a second thought.

Nobody will know I've got the RailUK app on not because I can hide it but because nobody else is allowed to see my phone!

GB

Established Member
Sounds good but why would the app need location information and access to phone call information/ its identity?

Are you telling me all what you have posted is part of this App? If this is true I'm quite dismayed that this isn't advertised anywhere or that the information does not seem to be readily available.

I think ill stick to using my iPad browser thanks!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well so far I have avoided detection of being branded a 'trainspotter' unlike a few other people I know! :D

I managed that for five years. Never once did I truthfully answer 'What did you do this weekend?'!

chris89

Established Member
Did it die at Maiden last night? It was funny with the balls-up over the guitars during number of the beast :lol:

The balls-up was funny and was during Running free :P the song after.

Nope battery went flat this morning as couldn't find a plug socket in the hotel room :s

Chris

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you telling me all what you have posted is part of this App? If this is true I'm quite dismayed that this isn't advertised anywhere or that the information does not seem to be readily available.
These are only the permissions for the Android App which are clearly displayed on the ''Permissions'' tab on the Android market.

DJC_158

Just downloaded this on my iPhone,
Working well and good layout
Nice to see an app released.

wintonian

Established Member
That seems a little intrusive, really. I'd much rather pay for an app than get a free version which can access my phone number and do whatever it wants with it.

I agree, I would prefer a non-intrusive paid version.

Unfortunately no such thing exists, unless you continue to browse the forum using your phone's browser, or are willing to be subject to the limited support provided by Tapatalk. This is the way the App works and nothing can be done about it by us.

I can see how that would be a problem. :)

Metroman62

On the Iphone version, is there the option to mark all posts read? I can't find it, unless I have missed something.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm also struggling to get it to jump to first unread post - something that is a bit of a pain on the long threads (iPhone...well, iPod...version)

Status
Not open for further replies.