• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK SimSig server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Is anyone up for me forking out some money for a Windows box - which you could use as a SimSig server... run KGX, etc. I guess we could offer hour slots where you could try out some stuff.

Anyone up for it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

TBH, I dont really see the need for you to fork out money for something like that, when most people can server themselves, I certainly dont mind doing it.

Simming

Heres Mine :roll:

7-picture2.gif

T

Tom

Brilliant! Why does it have a picture of Indiana Jones though? ;) OK Back off the off-topic...

Seriously, was this just a useless idea?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Have you ever played SimSig Multiplayer? If so you'll know how useless this idea was.

T

Tom

Jamie - I indeed have, and I have been on the same game as you once. So stop complaining. It was an idea. Not a finalisation.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If everyone was always available at the same times, it would be cool, but unfortunately not.

Dying for a SimSig multiplayer here!

Guinness

Established Member
Nah - People with High Speed Broadband can just host it. Also, how would this idea work?

T

Tom

People could 'rent' time on the server - it would work on this one too, we have WINE on here. This box is on a 100MBits from USA.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure about the dedicated server being needed. You need someone with physical access to the machine really. Yes it would be nice to use a super high bandwidth box, but until I see such a thing working and unless the price is virtually nothing, we're better off hosting ourselves (providing the person hosting has a lot of bandwidth and low latency, ie cable not ADSL).

Anyway we can have a regular SimSig game - see http://www.railuk.org/hst/viewtopic.php?p=2341#2341

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
People could 'rent' time on the server - it would work on this one too, we have WINE on here. This box is on a 100MBits from USA.
Are you telling me you're a linux user?? cool! ;) on the topic though, umm I'm not much of a fan of simsig, I know many people here are but I don't see much point in having a dedicated server for simsig.

Status
Not open for further replies.