• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway books you wish someone would write/publish

Status
Not open for further replies.

The discussion about Poland that @Calthrop and I began in the 'favourite trips' thread (and continued by PM) made me think that it would be interesting to read a history of Polish narrow-gauge railways (this may seem a niche interest in the English-speaking world, but it's been done for Bosnia -- admittedly the 'main-line' nature of the Bosnian lines probably gives them a higher profile, and their having mostly been part of a unified system may have made them easier to research). If such a book already exists it's probably in either Polish or German, neither of which I can read at anything like the level that would be needed.

I then thought that actually a general history of Polish railways would be interesting, and then that perhaps the world has room for a whole series of books on the railway history of each country in Europe, although I doubt if many people would want to read all of them (and in reality it seems unlikely to happen). I'd imagaine that some countries may already have decent English-language histories.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
A comprehensive Baker-level track atlas to Africa so I can colour in the handful of lines I've done before I forget.

Calthrop

Established Member
The discussion about Poland that @Calthrop and I began in the 'favourite trips' thread (and continued by PM) made me think that it would be interesting to read a history of Polish narrow-gauge railways (this may seem a niche interest in the English-speaking world, but it's been done for Bosnia -- admittedly the 'main-line' nature of the Bosnian lines probably gives them a higher profile, and their having mostly been part of a unified system may have made them easier to research). If such a book already exists it's probably in either Polish or German, neither of which I can read at anything like the level that would be needed.

I then thought that actually a general history of Polish railways would be interesting, and then that perhaps the world has room for a whole series of books on the railway history of each country in Europe, although I doubt if many people would want to read all of them (and in reality it seems unlikely to happen). I'd imagine that some countries may already have decent English-language histories.

My boldings, above -- I would be delighted for there to be available, comprehensive and learned books on the history of railways in the different countries of Europe (and elsewhere on the globe !); I would reckon that to a considerable extent, there likely are -- but (@181 , you are perhaps overall more optimistic in this, than me): that wretched Tower-of-Babel business does much frustrating here. A matter touched on in the recent thread in the International Transport sub-forum, "Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of French railways?" (first post 28 / 3 / 2020). Mention made there, of claimed-as-excellent histories of the railways of France (in three volumes); and the Netherlands; by Francois Caron and Gus Veenendaal, respectively -- strongly implied, though, that these works available only in the authors' native tongues; so unless one has a reasonable mastery of the languages concerned, one is out of luck. There are exceptions: Chester's book on the n/g of Bosnia-Herzegovina, as you cite; and I think there has been some attempt at an English-language history of Russian railways (by J.N. Westwood? -- this off top of head).

I'd imagine (speculation, not hard knowledge) that there are indeed worthwhile books on the history of railways in, at all events, many of Europe's countries -- but, in those countries' respective languages. In many lands of Europe: railway enthusiasts as such, are few in number (in others, they are plentiful; I'd be prepared to "bet the farm" on there being plenty of published material on the history of the railways of Germany [a scholarly land, anyway] -- but in German) -- however, virtually any country in Europe will have railway professionals; and scholars of history in "general" scope; who would be likely to have an interest in what came about, and how, with their country's railways from inception to the present day -- hence likelihood, I feel, of the existence of books fulfilling that interest, re assorted nations.

Concerning the ideal as above, of books on the railway history of each country in Europe: given on the part of a fair few people, heroic diligence for no financial reward -- that could be feasible. Translation would be necessary, by persons with a decent command of the relevant foreign language, and of English; commercial success of such translated works would be unlikely, by reason of -- as you surmise -- a fairly small number (at best) of people, being interested. A role for what I believe the trade calls "vanity publishing" -- wanted, folk ready to donate, variously, lots of time, and no small amount of money, to an excellent cause. While in principle, I applaud the idea; it must be said -- don't look to me for actual contribution: have enough competence in French and German, to be able to give it a shot -- but I'm elderly, terminally lazy, and penurious. As so often: "you [general] go ahead and be a hero -- I'll cheer you on from the sidelines :smile: ".

S&CLER

My boldings, above -- I would be delighted for there to be available, comprehensive and learned books on the history of railways in the different countries of Europe (and elsewhere on the globe !); I would reckon that to a considerable extent, there likely are -- but (@181 , you are perhaps overall more optimistic in this, than me): that wretched Tower-of-Babel business does much frustrating here. A matter touched on in the recent thread in the International Transport sub-forum, "Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of French railways?" (first post 28 / 3 / 2020). Mention made there, of claimed-as-excellent histories of the railways of France (in three volumes); and the Netherlands; by Francois Caron and Gus Veenendaal, respectively -- strongly implied, though, that these works available only in the authors' native tongues; so unless one has a reasonable mastery of the languages concerned, one is out of luck. There are exceptions: Chester's book on the n/g of Bosnia-Herzegovina, as you cite; and I think there has been some attempt at an English-language history of Russian railways (by J.N. Westwood? -- this off top of head).

I'd imagine (speculation, not hard knowledge) that there are indeed worthwhile books on the history of railways in, at all events, many of Europe's countries -- but, in those countries' respective languages. In many lands of Europe: railway enthusiasts as such, are few in number (in others, they are plentiful; I'd be prepared to "bet the farm" on there being plenty of published material on the history of the railways of Germany [a scholarly land, anyway] -- but in German) -- however, virtually any country in Europe will have railway professionals; and scholars of history in "general" scope; who would be likely to have an interest in what came about, and how, with their country's railways from inception to the present day -- hence likelihood, I feel, of the existence of books fulfilling that interest, re assorted nations.

Concerning the ideal as above, of books on the railway history of each country in Europe: given on the part of a fair few people, heroic diligence for no financial reward -- that could be feasible. Translation would be necessary, by persons with a decent command of the relevant foreign language, and of English; commercial success of such translated works would be unlikely, by reason of -- as you surmise -- a fairly small number (at best) of people, being interested. A role for what I believe the trade calls "vanity publishing" -- wanted, folk ready to donate, variously, lots of time, and no small amount of money, to an excellent cause. While in principle, I applaud the idea; it must be said -- don't look to me for actual contribution: have enough competence in French and German, to be able to give it a shot -- but I'm elderly, terminally lazy, and penurious. As so often: "you [general] go ahead and be a hero -- I'll cheer you on from the sidelines :smile: ".

No, Veenendaal's book which in Dutch had a title that meant "The Iron Road in a Country Full of Water", was translated into English and published by Stanford U.P. in 2001 as Railways of the Netherlands 1834-1994.

Calthrop

Established Member
No, Veenendaal's book which in Dutch had a title that meant "The Iron Road in a Country Full of Water", was translated into English and published by Stanford U.P. in 2001 as Railways of the Netherlands 1834-1994.

Right -- thanks -- too-rapid, and wrong, taking-in on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.