• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwentworth92

Hi, i am currently looking for information and advice about starting a career on the railway. i have recently passed my pts and ici competencies. i have been told that i should now complete track induction. if anyone can advise me on the next step to take (i.e how to find the work, what courses are best to take) that would be much appreciated. i am new all of this so i am just looking for the best steps to take for a beginner cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ItchyRsole

What kind of railway job are you looking for mate?

Lots, I'd say the vast majority of railway jobs don't require PTS these days. Nothing wrong with having it. Shows you have some knowledge of the track and the safety aspect of it.

Only thing I'd say is when filling out application forms is use the usual buzz words like safety, customer service, team player, confident, can work in a pressurised environment etc. A lot of these companies have programmers installed to recognize these words.

After that, if you get an interview do your homework. Learn about the company you're hoping to work for and have a good read up on this site about preparing for interviews etc.

Good luck!

Jwentworth92

Looking to get involved with track maintenance. I'm currently booked to do my track induction in June. during now, I've been throwing applications out there so its just fingers crossed now.

ItchyRsole

Network rail you'd want to be looking at then. That's there area, or sub contracted rail firms.

Status
Not open for further replies.