• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway control room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monopoli

Hello people

Just needing a bit of input and advice.
I really would want to understand what is done there and the skills required. I have applied for a number of posts and keep getting knocked back. A lot of TOC unwilling or give limited feedback.
Any help would greatful to improving my CV and cover letter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
There are TOC Controls, Route Controls and Station Controls.
Within each of them there are multiple disciplines, such as Information, Train Service, CIS, Maintenance. Which discipline are you interested to work in?

Monopoli

There are TOC Controls, Route Controls and Station Controls.
Within each of them there are multiple disciplines, such as Information, Train Service, CIS, Maintenance. Which discipline are you interested to work in?
Train service/information

ItchyRsole

Platform Controller at Eurostar is a very intensive job.

Responsible for the routing of all passenger & ECS stock into SPI with the added pressure of not being able to 'contaminate' services i.e.; arriving pax trains cannot come in alongside departing pax trains due to UKBF rules. This proves particularly difficult when late arriving or departing trains or disruption.

Every arrival will make another departure so again you have to weigh up the outgoing time with an incoming train around the same time.

Conflictions: Any sets departing from platforms 5,6,7 or 8,9 share a set of points outside SPI therefore a 3 minute clearance time is required when making platform / set changes so this does not impact on right time departures / incoming trains. This can also prove particularly tricky when making alterations to the plan.

The platform Controller is also the shift manager managing a team of train dispatchers. Recording all boarding times, departure times to the second and trust times of all incoming / outgoing services & ECS

They have to liaise with the caterers about set changes, security who need to search every train & the cleaning teams also. They take all instruction from the CRE in Lille & work alongside the ADCM who are in command of the drivers & crew diagrams to make sure all sets & trains are covered.

They also carry out PROD 5's in unison with the Signaller when a line or lines are required to be blocked for whatever reason.

They also work very closely with the Ops controllers at Temple Mills Depot where they receive the empty sets from. If an empty set cannot be provided between Platform control / CRE / Temple Mills a plan is formulated to keep the service running as best to time.

They also work very closely with terminal control on all station / service issues.

I left Eurostar a number of years ago and the platform Controller job was a really tough gig but I've gotta say the PC's there really know their stuff.

That's one Controller job you now know a little more about! :)

Monopoli

Platform Controller at Eurostar is a very intensive job.

Responsible for the routing of all passenger & ECS stock into SPI with the added pressure of not being able to 'contaminate' services i.e.; arriving pax trains cannot come in alongside departing pax trains due to UKBF rules. This proves particularly difficult when late arriving or departing trains or disruption.

Every arrival will make another departure so again you have to weigh up the outgoing time with an incoming train around the same time.

Conflictions: Any sets departing from platforms 5,6,7 or 8,9 share a set of points outside SPI therefore a 3 minute clearance time is required when making platform / set changes so this does not impact on right time departures / incoming trains. This can also prove particularly tricky when making alterations to the plan.

The platform Controller is also the shift manager managing a team of train dispatchers. Recording all boarding times, departure times to the second and trust times of all incoming / outgoing services & ECS

They have to liaise with the caterers about set changes, security who need to search every train & the cleaning teams also. They take all instruction from the CRE in Lille & work alongside the ADCM who are in command of the drivers & crew diagrams to make sure all sets & trains are covered.

They also carry out PROD 5's in unison with the Signaller when a line or lines are required to be blocked for whatever reason.

They also work very closely with the Ops controllers at Temple Mills Depot where they receive the empty sets from. If an empty set cannot be provided between Platform control / CRE / Temple Mills a plan is formulated to keep the service running as best to time.

They also work very closely with terminal control on all station / service issues.

I left Eurostar a number of years ago and the platform Controller job was a really tough gig but I've gotta say the PC's there really know their stuff.

That's one Controller job you now know a little more about! :)

Thank you very much
What made you leave and what was the pay structure?

ItchyRsole

Relocated.

Basic £43,000

Early turn & night turn (7 nights every 7 weeks, week off after) payments over a year approx £3,000

Decent opportunity for OT & project work @ 1.5 x rate

Most Controllers averaged between £48-51,000 pa

Status
Not open for further replies.