• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway embankments as rubbish tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

feldom76

View from train Ilkley to Huddersfield. Just before location of old Armley station a cascade of rubbish on the embankment. That's nothing compared to the location between Batley station and Dewsbury. In places the embankment is barely visible under the rubbish. Surely this is the responsibility of the Local Authority and the police. There is so much rubbish that even a few hours stake-out by the police would catch someone fly-tipping. Network Rail should clean it up and send the bill to the Local Authority.

Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbreckers

Unless it was the Local Authority doing the fly-tipping why would the bill be sent to them? Surely it should be sent to the person doing the fly-tipping?

Welly

Where are the nearest local authority recycling/civic amenity tips in those areas - is there a correlation between distance and opening times and the amount of crap dumped?

View from train Ilkley to Huddersfield. Just before location of old Armley station a cascade of rubbish on the embankment. That's nothing compared to the location between Batley station and Dewsbury. In places the embankment is barely visible under the rubbish. Surely this is the responsibility of the Local Authority and the police. There is so much rubbish that even a few hours stake-out by the police would catch someone fly-tipping. Network Rail should clean it up and send the bill to the Local Authority.

Mike

The responsibility for cleaning up fly tipping on your land is you therefore NR are responsible for cleaning the embankments. The people responsible for the fly tipping are members of the public

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1026.aspx

Mike

Where do you propose to find said police officers to carry out a "stake out" for people littering? Ms. May has got rid of thousands of them!

AndrewE

Established Member
rubbish on the embankment.

Mike

At first (from the thread title) I thought you were complaining about railway engineering debris dumped down embankments, then I wondered who had the energy to throw fly-tipped rubbish up an embankment, then I realised you mean peope throwing their rubbish over their back fences and down railway cutting slopes. (and from overbridges too)

Having travelled home trans-pennine just this afternoon I agree it is a problem for the railway and reflects very badly on the residents of all the areas affected - sadly country-wide.

I would like to see (Network rail?) prosecution or damages claims against the owners of houses whose rear boundaries point directly at the culprits. It would be hard for them to claim it came from somewhere else. Maybe use photo evidence of when it appeared if there are regular photographic surveys of NR property (to avoid claims that a previous owner did it?)

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
I would like to see (Network rail?) prosecution or damages claims against the owners of houses whose rear boundaries point directly at the culprits. It would be hard for them to claim it came from somewhere else. Maybe use photo evidence of when it appeared if there are regular photographic surveys of NR property (to avoid claims that a previous owner did it?)

For many, many years I lived immediately alongside a railway line. In all that time I never even threw so much as a snowball over the boundary fence - and yet trackside is littered with rubbish. Explain to me once again why I should be prosecuted? The law requires the prosecuting authorities to prove their allegations, and requires rather more evidence than mere proximity. It is not down to me, just because I'm a neighbour, to prove that the rubbish is not mine.

Incidentally, in my specific instance, most of the trackside debris alongside the house was actually left there by Network Rail's own sub-contractors.

silverfoxcc

Travel out of Liverpool Street to Enfield. It is disgusting to see the amount of rubbish that has been thrown over the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.