• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway enthusiast schemes in uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

Are there any schemes for railway enthusiasts like there is for aviation enthusiasts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Are there any schemes for railway enthusiasts like there is for aviation enthusiasts?
Not being an aviation enthusiast, I am uncertain what you mean by a 'scheme for enthusiasts'. Can you explain what you mean, please?
Thanks,
John Webb

Cundy66

Basically you join a scheme where by you agree to report anything suspicious to police and it was a joint thing between airport authority and police where by registering details and providing passport sized photos you where issued with an ID card that showed you was part of the scheme and a genuine enthusiast so if you where near an airport and someone asked what you was doing you could explain and show the card.

The point being that not only would it prove what you was doing but it helps to build relationships between the enthusiast and authorities.

Is there any schemes like this for the railway and enthusiasts?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Basically you join a scheme where by you agree to report anything suspicious to police and it was a joint thing between airport authority and police where by registering details and providing passport sized photos you where issued with an ID card that showed you was part of the scheme and a genuine enthusiast so if you where near an airport and someone asked what you was doing you could explain and show the card.

The point being that not only would it prove what you was doing but it helps to build relationships between the enthusiast and authorities.

Is there any schemes like this for the railway and enthusiasts?

I don't believe there is, at least nothing official. In the early post-11th September period, there were a number of issues with enthusiasts being reported for "suspicious" behaviour and so on. Rules were introduced about getting permission before photography trips on stations, and these days most TOCs are fairly fair-minded when it comes to enthusiasts.

12CSVT

Established Member
It was called "The Ian Allan Locospotters' Club"

As the hobby has diversified over the years we now have : -

Locomotive Club of Great Britain (LCGB),
Railway Correspondence and Travel Society (RCTS),
Inter City Railway Society (ICRS),
Branch Line Society (BLS),
Preserved Locomotive Enthusiasts Group (PLEG),
Locomotive and Carriage Institution,
East Midlands Railway Photographic Society (EMRPS)

and probably others I have forgotten to mention.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I carry a copy of that webpage when I'm photting at a station, so that when some jobsworth tells me it's illegal to take photos I can inform him of his ignorance.

If it was illegal to call something that is legal, illegal, those jobsworths would soon stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.