• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway fatalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Quite so.

Slightly related note - I was there spotting not long ago and there seems to be an automated system that detects if someone wanders over the yellows, automated announcement chimes up and says station staff have been informed. Useful but obviously still doesn't change the fact it's a hotspot (again without going into detail).

they have something similar at Durham. Anything like this is, honestly, a tool that can help turn people back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

Over thirty years ago a friend of mine on the Victoria line hit a woman carrying a child who had walked into the tunnel at Seven Sisters (I think it was). He could not speak for a week and only ever worked at Northumberland Park depot after that. The woman died but the child survived.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Over thirty years ago a friend of mine on the Victoria line hit a woman carrying a child who had walked into the tunnel at Seven Sisters (I think it was). He could not speak for a week and only ever worked at Northumberland Park depot after that. The woman died but the child survived.

I can only begin to imagine, stories like that make me feel queasy, but sadly they’re not as rare as you would hope. I would imagine mental health wasn’t a recognised thing back then either.

Having had time to reflect and read, I land on the prognosis that sadly there’s probably not much more the railway can do as a whole, and those that are in a dark enough place will do what they intend to do, and that the railway is just a convenient method.

Having never had those gremlins and demons in my head, and never knowingly spoken to anyone struggling, I don’t know what we as society could do differently.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I can only begin to imagine, stories like that make me feel queasy,

My first week on the railway there was a girl who decided to sit on a foot crossing at about 2200. The Driver (who was at my depot) didn't see her till he was about a coach length away. He hit her at 70mph. I've been lucky and my closest was a couple of months ago where myself and another Driver missed someone by about an inch. Literally about an inch. We currently have 2 Drivers at my depot off because they hit someone. Some days, I don't have the words. Others I kinda take it as 'part of the job' Its a very weird feeling. I hope to stay lucky for the rest of my career.

Having had time to reflect and read, I land on the prognosis that sadly there’s probably not much more the railway can do as a whole, and those that are in a dark enough place will do what they intend to do, and that the railway is just a convenient method.

100%

Having never had those gremlins and demons in my head, and never knowingly spoken to anyone struggling, I don’t know what we as society could do differently.

Drinking problems, sleeping problems, paranoia, depression, anxiety and god knows what else. Even as a Train Driver I saw it as the easiest solution. Society is f£$!£"$%"$%'ed and there are many issues that are causing people to become very self destructive. It takes very little effort to be nice to each other. Ring your friends, say hello to passers by, and generally just go out there and connect with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.