• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

A Challenge

Established Member
Is it Farringdon or City Thameslink?

I think the last is Canonbury, or at least somewhere round there, as the NLL runs on AC and the BML is on DC, so somewhere there there must be a join!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
You have come up with some which weren't on my list (I had a feeling you would) so I think that makes ten in total plus one doubtful. For clarity:

Fawkham Jn; Ashford Intl; Acton Central; Shepherds Bush; Farringdon/City Thameslink; Drayton Park; - all good.

Canonbury - close but not quite right

Watford Junction - this was a doubtful for me. There was a trailing connection between the up DC line on the approach to platforms 1-4 and the down fast WCML but I am not sure if it is still there. (PS - I checked the Sectional Appendix and it is. In fact 11 chains of the down fast is dual electrified)

There are three more.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Euston is one of the other three isn't it?

Yes - Euston to Camden Junction, to be precise.

Does Reading count?

Good question - it wasn't on my list. The current version of the Sectional Appendix only covers 25kV electrification as far as Maidenhead so I don't know whether either the old link from the GWML Down Main at Reading Spur Junction or the new one from the GWML Up Relief via the underpass to Reading Southern Junction will be electrified - currently they aren't. If I had to guess I would bet that they have been de-scoped, so you won't be able to get a dual-voltage EMU from DC lines to AC lines under its own power. However I would be glad to be proved wrong.

That leaves two to get. Hint - both are from the Watford DC lines.

DerekC

Established Member
Springhead Jct/Ebbsfleet. Abbey Wood.

Sorry - yes, Ebbsfleet is another for the list. Just checking out Abbey Wood.

It looks as though there won't be a connection from AC to DC at Abbey Wood. The Crossrail (sorry, Elizabeth Line) tracks terminate at the new platforms without (as far as I can see) a connection to the North Kent Lines. There is a connection from the down North Kent to the new Plumstead Depot and then from the depot to the down Elizabeth Line facing towards Abbey Wood, but I doubt AC will meet DC in the depot - Crossrail doesn't seem to want anything to do with third rail!

So that's eight down and two still to go from my original list of seven!!

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Willesden Jn?

As an addendum as I've never been there what's the deal at Hunts Cross?

Willesden Junction yes - from the up end of the low level station to Kensal Green Junction, plus something complicated in the depot.

And Hunt's Cross - but that seems to be the only one associated with Merseyrail - unless someone else knows different!

Abbey Wood has a shunt neck on the down where they meet

Is that the connection shown OOU on the Sectional Appendix at the down end of the station? I can see it on Google Earth. I wonder if it will be electrified? It seems more likely to be used to access the depot from the east.

Anyway, still one to go on my ever-expanding list !

DerekC

Established Member
I think it's time to close this one. The list is now as follows:

1. Euston to Camden Jnc
2. Acton Central
3. Shepherds Bush
4. Farringdon/City Thameslink
5. Willesden Jnc
6. Watford Jnc
7. Fawkham Jnc
8. Ebbsfleet
9. Ashford International
10. Drayton Park
11. Hunts Cross
12. Primrose Hill Jnc to Camden Road East Jnc
13. Dalston Western Jnc to Channelsea East Jnc

Plus two future ones

14. Abbey Wood
15. Reading Spur Jnc/South Jnc (possible)

Harbouring gets the dual voltage floor, I think, on the basis of most locations identified.

Harbouring

I'm a bit under the weather and can't think of anything good so I'll discharge my question to the open floor

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Blimey, that was quick ... well done!

Yes, after four and a half years' work, on this day in 1883 a golden spike was driven into the track to mark the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway. I wonder what happened to the spike?

Your special commemoration, sir!

DerekC

Established Member
On a point of information, according tp Paul Berton's "The Impossible Railway" (which is a fantastic read and highly recommended) there was no golden spike - the CPR couldn't afford one. And there were two "last spikes" - the first one bent!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Locomotives powered by compressed air were used most commonly in mining railway operations or other locations where sparks or smoke were undesirable.

There was however a city where compressed air locomotives were used for a period to haul passenger services. -where was it and why were they used?

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll submit Paris -- some urban tram services in that city, were compressed-air locos hauling passenger cars: the municipal authorities felt that overhead tram wires would visually mar France's famously beautiful capital.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
New York was the city I am looking for but it had nothing to do with tunnels. I must admit I had forgotten about those Paris trams, though as far as I am aware they didn’t have any 'heavy rail' using compressed air locos.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
This is a complete guess, but does it have anything to do with New York's version of the Necropolis Railway?

I should say that I don't know if there is one, mind you. However, it occurs to me that it might have been a way of making sure that the journey was clean and quiet.

Okay, I'll get my coat!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Something to do with potential underground gas leaks maybe?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
My suggestion in post 7012 is obviously wrong (!!), so how about this:

Were the tracks part of the New York Overhead Railway aka "The High Line"?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
My suggestion in post 7012 is obviously wrong (!!), so how about this:

Were the tracks part of the New York Overhead Railway aka "The High Line"?
Thats it. Its often forgotten that Manhattan had an extensive elevated system that was steam hauled- with all the problems that caused. Bizarrely the compressed air locos still burned some coal to preheat the air before use.
Here's a link to more info on these bizarre machines- the elevated 'Hardie' Locos are towards the bottom.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/airloco/airloco.htm.

Your bag of wind

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ah, thank you; inspiration struck when you said "old photos"!

I'm not going to be on here for a few days, so I'll declare an open elevated floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
This is sort-of borderline Railway General Knowledge / "general General Knowledge": I'm taking the former option.

What is the connection between: in old-fashioned education, the dimmest kid and singling-out of same; and the long-closed former North British Railway branch from Reston to St. Boswells?