• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Since this thread has been slumbering for nearly a week, I will assume open forum and ask an easy one.

What do the names Oakes, Gimbert and Axon have in common?

Calthrop

Established Member
All three, British steam loco drivers who died heroically in the course of -- in doing their jobs -- trying to minimise harm caused by accidents of various kinds (respectively at Winsford in 1965, Soham 1944, and Chapel-en-le-Frith 1957).

Calthrop

Established Member
A week's gone by: I can't speak for Welshman, but -- to get things moving again -- I'd be ready for the hero-drivers question of 19/1 and my attempted answer, to be ditched; and "open floor" to be declared.

Welshman

Established Member
A week's gone by: I can't speak for Welshman, but -- to get things moving again -- I'd be ready for the hero-drivers question of 19/1 and my attempted answer, to be ditched; and "open floor" to be declared.

I think you should have it, Calthrop, as your answer is clearly correct, and mine was only supplementing yours.
Please set the next question.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks Welshman -- I will. Another "what in common?" list, if I may.

What is the common factor which characterises the following?

Murrow; Blaenau Ffestiniog; Themelthorpe; Madeley

Welshman

Established Member
No: the common factor concerns genuinely railway-related things done.
Is is something to do with all 4 being served originally by 2 railways?:-
Blaenau Ffestiniog by the LNW from Llandudno Junction to Blaenua Ffestiniog North and the GW from Bala Jun to Blaenau Ffestiniog Central;
Murrow East by the M&GNJ and Murrow West by the GN&GEJ;
Themelthorpe by the M&GNJ and GER; and
Madelely Market by the Coalport branch of the LNW and Madelely by a branch of the GW Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton main line

P.S. your last clue "railway-related things done" makes me wonder if goods were transported the short distance by road between the pairs of stations? Just a guess.

Calthrop

Established Member
Welshman: with "short distance ... between the pairs" (one of the four places never had an actual station on either of the railways which ran close by it), you're pretty warm; but indirectly. What I'm looking for, happened post-nationalisation; and it was about moving goods, but not by road. And you've got the wrong Madeley; though the right one is not hugely distant therefrom.

Welshman

Established Member
Welshman: with "short distance ... between the pairs" (one of the four places never had an actual station on either of the railways which ran close by it), you're pretty warm; but indirectly. What I'm looking for, happened post-nationalisation; and it was about moving goods, but not by road. And you've got the wrong Madeley; though the right one is not hugely distant therefrom.
Was the trans-shipment at Blaenau by horse-drawn wagons over narrow guage track?

Calthrop

Established Member
EbbwJunction1, Welshman: it's simpler than your scenarios. All that happened, involved just standard-gauge rail: at Blaenau, with s/g replacing 1ft. 11-and-a-half-inch gauge.

Calthrop

Established Member
In all cases 2 separate unconnected lines (that crossed on the level ?) were connected by a new spur, so part of one of the two lines could then be closed

Close enough. The only instance of crossing on the level, was in fact at Murrow; and in Blaenau Ffestiniog (s/g link between ex-LNW and ex-GW stations, replaced hitherto Ffestiniog 1ft 11-and-a-half-in trackage between the two) the link (in the interests of the needs of the new Trawsfynydd nuclear power station) was put in after closure of Bala -- Blaenau line. All these initiatives took place in the narrow-ish time window of the late 1950s / early 60s, with its mass slaughter of lesser BR lines.

Your floor, martinsh.

Last edited:

DasLunatic

What are the next three terms in this sequence:

Taya
Enokido

Kabaike

Nishinokuchi

Ōnomachi

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
I will try to revive this quiz now:

What's the next term in this sequence?

Slzcrgg Pltfrm
Brrbl
Hlkrk
Hy
Bwr
Wttn

DasLunatic

I think that's the Sutherland and Caithness Railway....

...so would the next station be Blbstr?

backontrack

Established Member
I think that's the Sutherland and Caithness Railway....

...so would the next station be Blbstr?
DasLunatic once told me that he thought it was the Sutherland and Caithness Railway.

He was correct: so I offered him the floor, and he took it. ;)