• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hopefully not too difficult...

When was the last time a 4-EPB appeared at Waterloo ( main, not East ) in service?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, indeed - December 1985 to be exact, albeit carrying mail not passengers ( Wimbledon depot lost their EPB allocation to Slade Green a year earlier ).

Below is 5012 at Waterloo on 21st December 1985 for this purpose. This was the last time I saw an EPB at Waterloo in service, although of course the departmental de-icers hung on for a few more years.

Mr Challenge - were you thinking of VEPs...?

Peter Archive 2075.jpg

A Challenge

Established Member
I was thinking of something slam-door, not sure what though, I thought it was the last of everything but there you go.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As it seems to be an Open Platform, can I take it, please?

What do "Seymour Clarke", "Great Mountain", "George Waddell" and "Victory" all have in common, please?

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ah, I thought that it wasn't, hence my question!

I'll try to remember it for next time I'm successful - which won't be now, because I don't have a clue!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Only thing I can think of is the Coradia LINT perhaps? I can't think of a British train that the 175 Coradias are an updated version of.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm guessing the class 156. They were built at the same place, weren't they?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Well that's Gordon so an LNER A3. There's one of the later books where Scotsman visits and they mention being Doncaster brothers.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As it's been a while since a question was asked, can I ask this one, please?

What have "Samuel Clarke", "Great Mountain", "George Waddell" and "Victory" have in common?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As it's been a while since a question was asked, can I ask this one, please? What have "Samuel Clarke", "Great Mountain", "George Waddell" and "Victory" have in common?

A clue .... they're all locomotive names from the same company but became owned by another company later. Name both companies if you can!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, this one's been going long enough, so here's the answer:

All these are names of locos owned by the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway which survived to be taken over by the Great Western Railway at the Grouping on 1st January 1923.

Open floor!!

Calthrop

Established Member
Aside from the World War I front-line scene -- what was the location of the world's most extensive, with greatest track length, "600mm / 2ft." gauge rail system? (None of said system is now in existence.)