• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Aside from the World War I front-line scene -- what was the location of the world's most extensive, with greatest track length, "600mm / 2ft." gauge rail system? (None of said system is now in existence.)

I think the Cape Province of South Africa had about 350 miles of 2ft guage track at one point, but there may have been somewhere else with more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
You've got the right continent; but the system concerned, was in a different country of it (one which I suspect many people would not think obvious in this connection).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You've got the right continent; but the system concerned, was in a different country of it (one which I suspect many people would not think obvious in this connection).

I see, can't think at the moment but if no one else has had a bash by tomorrow evening, I'll maybe have another guess then. :)

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the country was never part of the British Empire; it got its railways, when under the sway of a continental European nation.

Calthrop

Established Member
Nope -- Namibia / SWA once had a big system on the gauge concerned; but that of the "answer country", was a good deal more extensive still.

Calthrop

Established Member
Having considered that, can I have another go at with Morocco?

Morocco it is: under the French, its system started out on 600mm gauge -- at its peak, clocked up some 1,700 kilometres (much of said system was primarily for military use). A fairly short-lived phenomenon, lasting for about a generation in the earlier part of the 20th century: basically all gone -- largely, converted to standard gauge -- by the mid-1930s.

Monsieur le Legionnaire, le plancher est a vous !

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Perhaps a slight clarification:

Why might a Belgian Type #3 tank have given Mr Whyte a headache over being able to describe it?

Hopefully that's a bit clearer :D

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Perhaps a slight clarification:

Why might a Belgian Type #3 tank have given Mr Whyte a headache over being able to describe it?

Hopefully that's a bit clearer :D

I think this other Belgian steam oddity (and boy there were plenty of them) was that 0-6-0 Pannier which had an extra set of supporting wheels put between a pair of the driving wheels. It was something to do with a weight limit on the route it was used on.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think this other Belgian steam oddity (and boy there were plenty of them) was that 0-6-0 Pannier which had an extra set of supporting wheels put between a pair of the driving wheels. It was something to do with a weight limit on the route it was used on.

That's sounds like the Class, yes, but why would it be difficult for Mr Whyte to describe it?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
That's sounds like the Class, yes, but why would it be difficult for Mr Whyte to describe it?
Well because the six main wheels were driven like a GWR pannier but it had an extra set of undriven supporting wheels between two of the driven ones. The continental system would work but can't see how Whyte could do it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well because the six main wheels were driven like a GWR pannier but it had an extra set of undriven supporting wheels between two of the driven ones. The continental system would work but can't see how Whyte could do it.

Yes, that's it essentially. The Type #3 was designed for the Luxembourg line which had a maximum axle-loading of 14 tonnes but instead of inserting a carrying axle behind the driving wheels it was inserted between the 2nd and 3rd driving axles. The Whyte system doesn’t really allow such arrangements to be described but under the Continental System it can be described as B2A though that doesn't explain that all driven axles are connected but it's the best description one can give.

Your floor

hexagon789

Veteran Member
0-6-(2)-0 might do it...?

That doesn't tell you that the carrying axle is between the second and third driven axle though. Neither the Whyte nor Continental system can describe the Class perfectly but the Continental system can do it far more accurately but not exactly.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That doesn't tell you that the carrying axle is between the second and third driven axle though. Neither the Whyte nor Continental system can describe the Class perfectly but the Continental system can do it far more accurately but not exactly.

Oh yes... you're right... I'd overlooked the exact positioning...

backontrack

Established Member
To revive this thread:

Fill in the gaps between the terms, and give me the next three terms in this sequence please.

CLBRN
BLNCW
HGHGT PLTFRM
BRRY SDNG HLT
BRTHWT
MBLTN (rgnlly LMBFT)

Calthrop

Established Member
To revive this thread:

Fill in the gaps between the terms, and give me the next three terms in this sequence please.

CLBRN
BLNCW
HGHGT PLTFRM
BRRY SDNG HLT
BRTHWT
MBLTN (rgnlly LMBFT)

With bits of guesswork; and all my insertions / additions, in lower case save for the initials --

CLiBuRN
Clifton
[Eamont Bridge Junction]
[Red Hills Junction]
BLeNCoW
Penruddock
Troutbeck
HiGHGaTe PLaTFoRM
Threlkeld
BRieRY SiDiNG HaLT
Keswick
BRaiTHWaitE
Bassenthwaite Lake
EMBLeToN (oRiGiNaLLY LuMBFooT)
Cockermouth
Brigham
Broughton Cross

backontrack

Established Member
With bits of guesswork; and all my insertions / additions, in lower case save for the initials --

Cliburn
Clifton
Blencow
Penruddock
Troutbeck
Highgate Platform
Threlkeld
Briery Siding Halt
Keswick
Braithwaite
Bassenthwaite Lake
Embleton (originally Lambfoot)
Cockermouth (for Buttermere)
Brigham
Broughton Cross
Excellent! Only correction is above, in the spelling of Lambfoot. :)

Your floor, good Sir.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank'ee, sir.

There's an island which was at one time, disputed territory between two nations. In the end, the inhabitants opted for the island to stay with the nation which already owned it. Not very long afterward, the nation concerned, built an embankment / dam joining the island to nation's mainland parts, and carrying a rail line linking to the main-line network (some have suggested that this was a reward to the islanders for their choice). The island already had its own narrow-gauge system.

Please name the island, and the two nations involved.

backontrack

Established Member
Thank'ee, sir.

There's an island which was at one time, disputed territory between two nations. In the end, the inhabitants opted for the island to stay with the nation which already owned it. Not very long afterward, the nation concerned, built an embankment / dam joining the island to nation's mainland parts, and carrying a rail line linking to the main-line network (some have suggested that this was a reward to the islanders for their choice). The island already had its own narrow-gauge system.

Please name the island, and the two nations involved.
Sodor - England and the Isle of Sodor being the two nations?

Calthrop

Established Member
Sodor - England and the Isle of Sodor being the two nations?

An inspired notion -- but no ! To the very best of my knowledge, no locos with faces on their smokebox doors have ever worked on the rail systems of the places involved.