• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joe Duddington drove Mallard when she attained 126 mph and William Sparshatt was Flying Scotsman's driver when she hit the 'ton' (100 mph).

Thomas Bray was Duddington's fireman. ;)
I didn't think that question would last too long. Your footplate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Here's another Letter by Letter-style question, then.

Which closed station is this? EDIT - Fangfoss, well done Calthrop!

My first is in Flamborough, though not in Speeton
My second's in Haxby and Pannal, not Weeton
My third is in Hovingham, not Armley Moor
My fourth's not in Airmyn or Raskelf or Dore
My fifth's in Luddendenfoot, not Ravenscar
My sixth's not in Riccall, Crakehall or Elsecar
My seventh's in Ramsgill, not Beach but Wassand
My last's not in Boroughbridge or Thurgoland,
You won't find my whole On Ilkey Moor Baht 'at
Because it was in the East Riding - that's that!

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joe Duddington drove Mallard when she attained 126 mph and William Sparshatt was Flying Scotsman's driver when she hit the 'ton' (100 mph).

Thomas Bray was Duddington's fireman. ;)

D'oh.... I should have remembered that because I've read about both events enough times!!!:oops::oops::oops:

backontrack

Established Member
Here's another Letter by Letter-style question, then.

Which closed station is this? EDIT: Fangfoss, well done Calthrop!

My first is in Flamborough, though not in Speeton
My second's in Haxby and Pannal, not Weeton
My third is in Hovingham, not Armley Moor
My fourth's not in Airmyn or Raskelf or Dore
My fifth's in Luddendenfoot, not Ravenscar
My sixth's not in Riccall, Crakehall or Elsecar
My seventh's in Ramsgill, not Beach but Wassand
My last's not in Boroughbridge or Thurgoland,
You won't find my whole On Ilkey Moor Baht 'at
Because it was in the East Riding - that's that!
Any takers?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
With more than a little uncertainty -- Fangfoss? (once upon a time, on the York -- Beverley route)

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

In the era 1923 - 47, different ones of Britain's "Big Four" railway companies owned officially-recognised "joint" routes, in partnership with others of their number -- these situations inherited from pre-Grouping times. There could have been a maximum of six combinations of this kind (some of which involved multiple different lines / systems), each purely between a pair of Big Four companies. There existed in fact, five such pairings. Which was the one that didn't happen?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks.

In the era 1923 - 47, different ones of Britain's "Big Four" railway companies owned officially-recognised "joint" routes, in partnership with others of their number -- these situations inherited from pre-Grouping times. There could have been a maximum of six combinations of this kind (some of which involved multiple different lines / systems), each purely between a pair of Big Four companies. There existed in fact, five such pairings. Which was the one that didn't happen?

Wouldn't be the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company would it, because Irish Independence meant it was no longer wholly in the UK?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Wouldn't be the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company would it, because Irish Independence meant to was no longer wholly in the UK?

I should have stipulated that the question concerns Great Britain, and its post-Grouping "Big Four", only -- excluding all matters Irish. Altogether there, mea culpa -- I was hardly aware of the F&RR&HC (have just been Googling it): in some extenuation, this concern's traffic was always worked by bigger, better-known undertakings; and map-makers re times before the big amalgamations, tend to ignore it. And, the LMS inherited Northern Ireland's NCC system, from the Midland; and thus jointly owned the County Donegal n/g system, with the Great Northern of Ireland. To clarify: for the purpose of this question, please ignore Ireland and things pertaining thereto.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thanks.

• Wandering in blindly without any specific research to back me up:
  • Considering how the big four radiated out of London, the large borders they shared will have had some joint lines, namely: LNER/LMS, LMS/GWR, GWR/Southern, Southern/LNER.
  • I'm pretty sure that there'd have been something bypassing Euston on the way to the ferry ports, which would be LMS/Southern.
  • That leaves the GWR and LNER. The LNER ended up with a line to Wrexham (by absorbing the Great Central), which was GWR territory, but despite running trains through to the Wirral, I don't think the LNER had any joint lines in the area. (Plus the LMS had a presence on the Wirral, which cuts down the options for a GWR/LNER-exclusive.)

On that basis, I'm gonig to plump for the GWR/LNER option.

backontrack

Established Member
I imagine that @krus_aragon is correct - however, in case he turns out not to be, I will plump for Southern/LNER. I'm probably wrong here (Moorgate?), but I'm not sure that the two ever connected with any joint lines.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I should have stipulated that the question concerns Great Britain, and its post-Grouping "Big Four", only -- excluding all matters Irish. Altogether there, mea culpa -- I was hardly aware of the F&RR&HC (have just been Googling it): in some extenuation, this concern's traffic was always worked by bigger, better-known undertakings; and map-makers re times before the big amalgamations, tend to ignore it. And, the LMS inherited Northern Ireland's NCC system, from the Midland; and thus jointly owned the County Donegal n/g system, with the Great Northern of Ireland. To clarify: for the purpose of this question, please ignore Ireland and things pertaining thereto.

No worries, that was all I could think of anyway but I wasn't sure it was what you had in mind anyway :)

Calthrop

Established Member
  • Wandering in blindly without any specific research to back me up:
  • Considering how the big four radiated out of London, the large borders they shared will have had some joint lines, namely: LNER/LMS, LMS/GWR, GWR/Southern, Southern/LNER.
  • I'm pretty sure that there'd have been something bypassing Euston on the way to the ferry ports, which would be LMS/Southern.
  • That leaves the GWR and LNER. The LNER ended up with a line to Wrexham (by absorbing the Great Central), which was GWR territory, but despite running trains through to the Wirral, I don't think the LNER had any joint lines in the area. (Plus the LMS had a presence on the Wirral, which cuts down the options for a GWR/LNER-exclusive.)
On that basis, I'm going to plump for the GWR/LNER option.

(My bolding above) -- incorrectly, I'm afraid: blame that pesky Great Central Railway, which (as cited by you re Wrexham) was responsible for various bits of general strangeness, consequent on the Grouping. The business of the GC's extending to London, led to the stretch of line Ashendon Junction -- High Wycombe -- Northolt Junction, being Great Western / Great Central -- and thus subsequently, GWR / LNER -- Joint.

I imagine that @krus_aragon is correct - however, in case he turns out not to be, I will plump for Southern/LNER. I'm probably wrong here (Moorgate?), but I'm not sure that the two ever connected with any joint lines.

You get it right, re Southern / LNER. The nearest that was got to that -- but excluded, I feel, by my stipulating "purely between a pair" -- was the East London Railway (Bishopsgate Junction / Shoreditch -- Rotherhithe -- various junctions in the New Cross area); which pre-Grouping, was joint property of Great Eastern / LBSC / South Eastern & Chatham / Metropolitan / Metropolitan District. I see the Metropolitan involvement here, muddying any waters re "purely...a pair"; plus, if I have things rightly, the Southern faded out of this picture after Grouping.

backontrack, your floor.

backontrack

Established Member
Rufford
Dunphail
Dava

So the next 3 would be:
Castle Grant
Grantown-on-Spey West
Broomhill
Perfectamundo!

Castle Grant Platform, Grantown-on-Spey West and Broomhill (or, rather, CSTL GRNT PLTFRM, GRNTWN-N-SPY WST, and BRMHLL).

Your floor. :)

Calthrop

Established Member
Which two now-closed railway stations were the only ones in the UK that were three changes away from London?

Pretty in-the-dark guessing:

(1) Hulme End, outer terminus of the Leek & Manifold Valley 2ft 6in gauge (there are included under that heading, one takes it, the n/g line's intermediate stations): changes at Stoke-on-Trent, Leek, and Waterhouses -- the last change necessary because of break-of-gauge.

(2) Garlieston (Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Ry.) -- terminus of short subsidiary branch (passenger service withdrawn 1903 !) from Millisle on the Whithorn branch. Changes at Carlisle or Dumfries, Newtown Stewart, and Millisle.

backontrack

Established Member
Pretty in-the-dark guessing:

(1) Hulme End, outer terminus of the Leek & Manifold Valley 2ft 6in gauge (there are included under that heading, one takes it, the n/g line's intermediate stations): changes at Stoke-on-Trent, Leek, and Waterhouses -- the last change necessary because of break-of-gauge.

(2) Garlieston (Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Ry.) -- terminus of short subsidiary branch (passenger service withdrawn 1903 !) from Millisle on the Whithorn branch. Changes at Carlisle or Dumfries, Newtown Stewart, and Millisle.
Neither of these are correct, I'm afraid. I think that direct services have run from both Leek and Newton Stewart to London.

Hint: The two stations I am looking for were located on the same branch line.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Neither of these are correct, I'm afraid. I think that direct services have run from both Leek and Newton Stewart to London.

Hint: The two stations I am looking for were located on the same branch line.

This is a guess based on the fact you haven't specified UK mainland:

Bembridge and St Helens on the Bembridge-Brading branch.

Bembridge to Brading
Change 1 at Brading
Brading to Ryde Pier Head
Change 2 at Ryde
Ferry
Change 3 at Portsmouth Harbour
Train to London

If that's not allowed due to the ferry, that's fair enough, but that's all I can think of!

backontrack

Established Member
This is a guess based on the fact you haven't specified UK mainland:

Bembridge and St Helens on the Bembridge-Brading branch.

Bembridge to Brading
Change 1 at Brading
Brading to Ryde Pier Head
Change 2 at Ryde
Ferry
Change 3 at Portsmouth Harbour
Train to London

If that's not allowed due to the ferry, that's fair enough, but that's all I can think of!
I'm afraid not...my bad :oops:

Hint: The line in question was in both England and Wales.