• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

krus_aragon

Established Member
From a railway context, what do these GB towns/cities (and only these, to the best of my knowledge) have in common?
  • Liverpool
  • Manchester
  • Bradford
  • Wrexham

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Could it be that these four -- and no others -- have, or have had, a station called "[town's name] Exchange"?

martinsh

Established Member

Calthrop

Established Member
Hope Exchange or not -- I'll decline the floor, thanks; am about to have a spell away, out of Internet reach.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Still with Hope Exchange station, did anyone notice the mistake on the station nameboard in the picture in the Wiki article? If so, what was it - and was it a mistake? (no peeping now, folks!)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Still with Hope Exchange station, did anyone notice the mistake on the station nameboard in the picture in the Wiki article? If so, what was it - and was it a mistake? (no peeping now, folks!)
I saw it. People remembering it without looking at the picture though? No chance.

A Challenge

Established Member
I think I've found an error, having looked at the picture, but not having seen it before I had even less chance, but it probably isn't the error you're looking for anyway!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think I've found an error, having looked at the picture, but not having seen it before I had even less chance, but it probably isn't the error you're looking for anyway!

Tell me what you think it is, and I'll say whether you're right or wrong.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What do you think that it is, please?
Well I assumed it was ‘Change’ looking like it says ‘Chance’, hence my rather clunky clue...
Now I’ve looked at again though I’m not so sure.
And maybe A Challenge is correct?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Disregarding the fact that Gs look like Cs in the typeface used, there's a comma missing in the list of stations in the bottom line, which implies that there is a station/destination called "Denbigh Ruthin".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Disregarding the fact that Gs look like Cs in the typeface used, there's a comma missing in the list of stations in the bottom line, which implies that there is a station/destination called "Denbigh Ruthin".
Well spotted. I reckon that might be it.
Has anyone got Ebbw_Junctions phone number?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

Well spotted. I reckon that might be it.
Has anyone got Ebbw_Junctions phone number?

I'm sorry to disappoint you both, but it isn't what I was looking for .... and I'm ex-directory!!

Okay, here's the answer:

Name-board at Hope Exchange High Level, 1948

Original company
WM&CQR (High Level) LNWR (Low Level)
Pre-grouping GCR (High Level) LNWR (Low Level)
Post-grouping LNER (High Level) LMS (Low Level)

It's all concerned with the name "LNER" at the top of the station name board. I didn't know that the LNER spread into North Wales - as far as I knew it's territory was some way away from there.

I did say "a mistake", but it was more of a question from me asking whether it was a mistake .. but it seems that it wasn't, as the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway (who opened the original station) became the Great Central Railway which became the London & North Eastern Railway ... so I have answered my own question!

My apologies for misleading you ... I'll declare an open pre-grouping station!

Springs Branch

Established Member
Didn't the LNER make a mistake by saying "change for L&NW line", given that the L&NWR was defunct by the time the LNER was in a position to be erecting signs? Should have said "change for LMS line".

Anyhow, still open floor for the next Railway General Knowledge clue.

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
Lets get this one going again !

The Ravenglass and Eskdale locomotive "Northern Rock" was named after the former Building Society which sponsored its construction. What was its name originally intended to be ?