• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Class 107,108,114,115,116,120,123,124

That's eight for you Mr C, and I think there's a few more also?
Go on Mr Bridge!
You get a bonus point for getting eight.
Your window rattling, exhaust belching, all over blue liveried, dimly lit, clunky slow gearchanging, blinds up front window viewing, declassified first class section floor...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
So I'll add...class 125,126 & 127....can't think of any more after those.

So if the floors mine can I ask what named train celebrated its **th birthday at the beginning of July 1954. As well as the name I also require its age?

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm going to guess, the "Flying Scotsman": prior to beginning of July 1924 (one figures), bore the less catchy name of "the 10.00 special Scotch Express". Thus, 30th birthday July 1954 -- inaugurated as "F.S." 94-and-a-bit years ago as of now.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that it's the Cornish Rivera Express, which celebrated it's 50th anniversary in 1954 and is now 114 years old.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you!

Staying on the 'named express trains' theme, here are six named trains which ran during the 1950s (and sometimes before and afterwards):

Broadsman
Comet
The Easterling
Fair Maid
North Britain
St Mungo

Can you name them, please?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I recently read that that the Comet was a London to Manchester service.

Other than that, I'd guess that the Broadsman runs to Norfolk and the St Mungo goes to Hogwarts. ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
The Easterling: London Liverpool Street via East Suffolk line, to terminate at Lowestoft, and Yarmouth South Town, dividing at Beccles.
(Broadsman: indeed, Liverpool Street -- Norwich -- Cromer -- Sheringham)
Fair Maid: London Euston -- Perth (thank you, Sir Walter Scott).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Easterling: London Liverpool Street via East Suffolk line, to terminate at Lowestoft, and Yarmouth South Town, dividing at Beccles.
(Broadsman: indeed, Liverpool Street -- Norwich -- Cromer -- Sheringham)
Fair Maid: London Euston -- Perth (thank you, Sir Walter Scott).

I'm going to give you 2.5 out of three here, as Mr W Pedia tells me that the Fair Maid ran from London Kings Cross to Perth … but still, well done!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I recently read that that the Comet was a London to Manchester service. Other than that, I'd guess that the Broadsman runs to Norfolk and the St Mungo goes to Hogwarts. ;)

My apologies, I missed your offering when I answered krus_aragon's first.

Yes, The Broadsman was as you state, and because you did get it first, I'm afraid that Mr Aragon is now down to 1.5 .. sorry!

You have two, as The Comet was indeed London Euston to Manchester London Road. I was actually tempted to dock you a point for your offering for the St. Mungo, but I'll be generous!

So, has anyone got any thoughts about the real St. Mungo and the North Briton, please? Here's a clue: neither of them started or terminated in London.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Well, having done some reading on Wikipedia, I've learned that St Mungo also went by the name of Kentigern (or Cynderyn in my neck of the woods).* It seems that he has a well in Rippon and Glasgow: might the train have connected the two?

*Why did he become known by the name Mungo? It reminds me of Saint Illtud, who's named-for town Llanilltud Fawr is translated as Llantwit Major. Honestly: Saint Twit?!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to throw my hat in the ring - I think the North Briton may have run between Glasgow Queen Street and Aberdeen?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Just to throw my hat in the ring - I think the North Briton may have run between Glasgow Queen Street and Aberdeen?

Well, you have the right route, but the wrong train! The St Mungo ran on this route, although in the period that I'm referring to, it was from Buchanan Street rather than Queen Street. I'll give you the point, though, as I'm feeling generous!

I'll also give the rest of the answer to the North Briton part of the question: it ran between Glasgow Queen Street and Leeds.

As my previous maths (not to say my identification of who's answered!) seems to have gone wildly astray, I think that I'll offer the floor to Mr Aragon, so over to you, sir (and well done!).

Well, having done some reading on Wikipedia, I've learned that St Mungo also went by the name of Kentigern (or Cynderyn in my neck of the woods).* It seems that he has a well in Rippon and Glasgow: might the train have connected the two?

*Why did he become known by the name Mungo? It reminds me of Saint Illtud, who's named-for town Llanilltud Fawr is translated as Llantwit Major. Honestly: Saint Twit?!

Perhaps he was the "holy fool" kind of saint? ;)

Hmmm .... very interesting!

krus_aragon

Established Member
Hm, Cowley and I did well to (almost) get the right destinations for each others' services there!

I've got a question I scribbled down last week, so here goes.

Next question:

What common event links the following stations:
Charing Cross (1868)
Tavistock (1887)
Coedpoeth (1914)

Further stations will be added to the list in response to incorrect answers, so give it a guess!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about stations where famous novels were set?