• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did the original passenger stations become goods only with the buildings being incorporated into goods depots?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Did they all get burnt down or destroyed somehow?
Bingo!
These are all stations which burned down, generally burned to the ground due to their wooden construction.

(hese are all events I found mentioned in the Welsh-medium newspaper archive of the NLW. It's interesting to note that so many of the stations reported were outside Wales: many weekly regional papers of the time ran stories from each others' columns.

Your razed floor...

Calthrop

Established Member
A week has gone by: might declaring "open floor" be reckoned appropriate? (I've got a question, if so...)

Calthrop

Established Member
My thanks !

In the early / mid-1920s, Captain John Howey and his fellow-wealthy-enthusiast Count Louis Zborowski investigated assorted possible venues in England, for realising their dream of a 15in. gauge railway of respectable magnitude -- whether "from scratch", or adapting an existing line -- before Howey finally conceived of and created the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway.

What was the other coastal location for a brand-new 15in. gauge line of fairish length; which was considered but rejected, before the RH&D was settled on?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: this line, if it had come to be, would have approached close to (without any actual association with) a renownedly quaint and charming standard-gauge light railway which remained privately owned after the Grouping.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hint: this line, if it had come to be, would have approached close to (without any actual association with) a renownedly quaint and charming standard-gauge light railway which remained privately owned after the Grouping.
Rye & Camber tramway? . Oh scrap that it was narrow gauge.

Thinking about it I thought Howey looked at extending the Ravenglass & Eskdale but that of course was also narrow gauge.

The only other one could be the Selsey Tramway- but the plan there was to take it over completely.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Please note, in original question: "brand-new 15in, gauge line": as opposed to the considered-but-not-done latchings-on-to the R & E, and the Selsey aka West Sussex. And -- the standard-gauge light railway mentioned (another of Colonel Stephens's), was not directly involved in any plan of Howey's -- my mention of it, just as a geographical "pointer". Further hint: big-companies-wise, the answer's venue was in Great Western territory.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve read One Mans Railway but I can’t find it in the house at the moment, so as a guess then - Was it somewhere around Western Super Mare?

Calthrop

Established Member
Right -- I believe the scheme didn't get far enough advanced for a fully-precise route to be laid out: but line would have served the Brean Sands area on the Bristol Channel coast: in between (in general terms) Weston-Super-Mare and Burnham-on-Sea. Making connection with the GWR main line was seen, at Brent Knoll station.

Mr. Cowley, the role of miniature-railway inaugurator in virgin territory, goes to you.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Right -- I believe the scheme didn't get far enough advanced for a fully-precise route to be laid out: but line would have served the Brean Sands area on the Bristol Channel coast: in between (in general terms) Weston-Super-Mare and Burnham-on-Sea. Making connection with the GWR main line was seen, at Brent Knoll station.

Mr. Cowley, the role of miniature-railway inaugurator in virgin territory, goes to you.
Thanks. I’m rather busy this afternoon so I’d better say open floor.

Welshman

Established Member
Two weeks have gone by, so try this:-

What is the Stockport-family connection between a railway hero and a television hospital administrator?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Two weeks have gone by, so try this:-

What is the Stockport-family connection between a railway hero and a television hospital administrator?

Sudden possible idea (grandson got by Googling -- I don't watch telly): actor John Axon (1960 - 2008), grandson of loco driver John Axon, died heroically in accident on 9 / 2 / 1957 ?

Welshman

Established Member
Sudden possible idea (grandson got by Googling -- I don't watch telly): actor John Axon (1960 - 2008), grandson of loco driver John Axon, died heroically in accident on 9 / 2 / 1957 ?

Correct - the grandson played Nigel Harper in the series The Royal.
Well done :D

Calthrop

Established Member
Correct - the grandson played Nigel Harper in the series The Royal.
Well done :D

Thanks -- my floor, then, I figure.

Once upon a time (well within living memory) there was a despotically-ruled country with an antiquated rail system which gave much pleasure to railway-enthusiast visitors from abroad. There was then a favourite "meme" among -- oppressed-and-suppressed -- political opponents of the regime, to the effect that leaders of the religion overwhelmingly adhered to by the inhabitants, which leaders were high in the councils of the state; were at pains to use their influence, to keep the country's railways archaic and inefficient -- in pursuance of their aim that the country should continue to be benighted and backward.

Which country was this, and in which era?

Last edited: